Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Many of the "RV water filters" are just simple charcoal strainers, good for removing sand and not much else. If you are picky about water taste or germ-potential, buy a better grade of filter that will remove more minerals and biologics. Here's one good source of filter systems and filters:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

We usually drink what's available, but if its too obnoxious we resort to bottled water and recycle the containers wherever possible.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
On those rare occasions that we're connected to real city water, we'll drink that. But most of the time where we're camping, it doesn't taste good, even with an inline house filter.

These days, I'm feeling guilty buying and then throwing away cases of bottled water. What does everyone do for drinking water in their motor home?
This: https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/travel-berkey

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #17

We have a whole house filter on the inlet side of the tank/supply and an everpure under the sink on the cold side, our water from the tank/supply then tastes like bottled water but cheaper and better for environment
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #18

I feel there can never be enough filtration - some others feel differently - their choice. Look at a chart of hair size and cyst size - maybe you'll reconsider your filtration. I do not have a RO system.
I currently have a 25 micron carbon filter followed by a 1 micron washable filter followed by a .5 micron carbon. I always fill my fresh tank and draw from that. I have an extra canister at the end of the filter chain that I usually keep empty (but can be filled with special filters like for iron removal, etc) and I use this canister to pour bleach into the system. This keeps the fresh tank and plumbing clean. We have a water spout at the sink and have another .5 micron filter before it to take that bleach back out.
Can't have too much filtration.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #19

I'm reminded of a story of an American tourist who was traveling in Spain. He stopped in a quaint little shop, and decided to buy a bota (leather wine bag). The clerk told him that before using it, he should condition it it be filling it with brandy and letting it sit for a few days.

The American asked if he could then drink the brandy, and he was assured that he could. Next, he asked "what about water?" The clerk replied "Water? Water's no good. It rots the insides.

the American was surprised, and asked how water could harm the bota. The clerk replied "Oh, water won't hurt the bota. I thought you meant that you were going to drink it.

That's why the Babylonians invented beer.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #20

And to think I used to drink water right out of the lake we were boating in, in the winter we would cut block ice to use in drinks and pack around meats to keep them cool etc, drink from a rubber garden hose, bottled water wasn't invented yet, and water filtration was just a dream! Things sure have changed. Someone once said that all water on earth has passed through at least one living organism before you drink it.

This discussion reminds me of those discussions about the precautions some take when handling the sewer hose!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #21

Drinking water

50+ years ago we used to drink water out of mountain streams in SoCal. I would only do it now if I was about ready to die from dehydration but I digress. We also carry bottled water in the gallon size that are about 89 cents at the grocery store. Most places we have stayed have recycle bins which we also use.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #22

I have cheap blue whole house filter it will take drinking water filters that are only good for like 1500-2000 gals instead of 15K - 20k whole house filters seems to do good job. No smell or taste just out of that. Used for years to fill TT. No smelly dishes after/while drying. Plus instahot & cold 1micron to drinking water tap.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrim View Post
Bottled water fro drinking, cooking and coffee. Empties go into recycle bin.

No guilt and no bad tastes.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
And to think I used to drink water right out of the lake we were boating in, in the winter we would cut block ice to use in drinks and pack around meats to keep them cool etc, drink from a rubber garden hose, bottled water wasn't invented yet, and water filtration was just a dream! Things sure have changed. Someone once said that all water on earth has passed through at least one living organism before you drink it.

This discussion reminds me of those discussions about the precautions some take when handling the sewer hose!
I hear ya,
I used to drink out the hose when I was a kid too, but then again the hoses weren't made in china with who know's what kinda of materials. And we are NOT carrying cases of water or big bottles around taking up valuable space, weight and dealing with empties to take back to recycle bin or throw away in the trash.

Besides where we get our water these days in some places....oh boy don't get me started on that. Think Michigan. Or how some CG's deliver water from an on site well. Anyway....

We just thoroughly plumbed our entire MH with an effective filtering and water softening system to not only provide safe, good tasting water but to also protect the entire MH plumbing and appliances. See post# 19 video.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #25

We sanitize our water system 2x a year, we also have the blue filter at the spigot and a house filter on the coach, in addition to that we use the Berkey which can essentially turn pond water into safe drinkable water. May be overkill for some but the first time you get issues from a parasite in your water when your out in the wild I assure you, you will be over cautious to be sure it doesn’t happen again!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #26

Gallon jugs of spring water for drinking, coffee, and cooking. Squished when empty and put in recycle bin. Although I am diligent in sanitizing the fresh water system twice a year, I would never use it for human and furry companion consumption.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed a Filtrete dedicated filter under the sink with a dispenser through the soap dispenser hole, which we didn't use. This one is a 0.5 micron designed to filter out taste, microbes and sediment. It does work as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filtrete-Filter.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	253390  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #28

We use cg water for washing and cooking and only drink bottled water. You just never know where the water source is from not that bottled water can’t be contaminated but it’s much more likely to get out to the public in a hurry. The bottles aren’t the best for the environment but I already have to carry distilled water for my cpap. If I run out I won’t use water from the tap.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water