Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #99

Very good point actually!
Scrippslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #100

That’s our method also. Never a bad taste. We take faucet mount off for travel so it isn’t bouncing on the faucet.
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #101

Tiffin Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I am a cancer survivor. We usually always drink bottle water. Shower and wash with campground water. Last year we were in SW Tucson at an RV park. I was drinking their water after it went through our filtering system. I thought my coffee had a terrible taste. When I was visiting with the snowbirds next door they stated that no one drinks the water there. Going forward, we don’t drink ANY local water. Maybe if we had a reverse osmosis, but we don’t
JMCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #102

How large are most RV fresh water tanks.

Can anyone give me a clear idea of what range of fresh water tank size a given class of RV is likely to have? Also can anyone steer me to a breakdown of the class types. The only RVs that I have actually used were the ones made from large Vans with the body cut away and the RV body placed on the frame. Well at least that what they looked like to me. I never worried about the tank size because we used them as an inexpensive way to travel with small children and once we got there we had planned a place to stay that didn't require living in the RV.

HORNETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCherry View Post
I am a cancer survivor. We usually always drink bottle water. Shower and wash with campground water. Last year we were in SW Tucson at an RV park. I was drinking their water after it went through our filtering system. I thought my coffee had a terrible taste. When I was visiting with the snowbirds next door they stated that no one drinks the water there. Going forward, we don’t drink ANY local water. Maybe if we had a reverse osmosis, but we don’t
You should check into getting a Berkey it’s portable, pure water, much better then bottle, and less plastic to dispose of

Zzotte
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNETD View Post
Can anyone give me a clear idea of what range of fresh water tank size a given class of RV is likely to have? Also can anyone steer me to a breakdown of the class types. The only RVs that I have actually used were the ones made from large Vans with the body cut away and the RV body placed on the frame. Well at least that what they looked like to me. I never worried about the tank size because we used them as an inexpensive way to travel with small children and once we got there we had planned a place to stay that didn't require living in the RV.
1st, Everyone owns an RV. A Motor home is a type of RV.

What you described is a Class C Motor Home. A class A looks like BUS. Class B is built from a VAN and uses the full body. I don't know how they can up with this system.

Size of the holding tanks is not common to any one RV.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCherry View Post
I found in ARZ. that you can ask or find your self a RO drinking water supplier. Everybody that does pressure washing uses RO water. My tank is 100 gal. tank and was 6 dollars to fill it in Lake Havasue and also in Tucson just ask it better for you. I have seen them have lines with people jugs to get filled also and I have tested it my self and found it to be great water with no solids. I have a RO at home also and I fill my motor home before I get on my way it just takes a day at home to do it. When I purchase it it fills my rig in less than 10 to 20 min.
Denis RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #106

[QUOTE= I have a RO at home also and I fill my motor home before I get on my way it just takes a day at home to do it. When I purchase it it fills my rig in less than 10 to 20 min.[/QUOTE]
We had a RO system in our home. The problem with these things is you have 5 gal of waste water for every 1 gal of pure water. The waste water cannot be used for anything. I saved it in an accumulater for our irrigation system. It killed everything in about a week, including trees. Cannot justify that much waste living in AZ.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #107

Was the off taste of the water indicative of unsafe water or just water with an unusual mineral content that caused an off taste?

In spite of the recent headlines about a few municipal water supplies, the vast majority of water in the United States is perfectly fine to drink straight from the tap.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by botiemad View Post
We had a RO system in our home. The problem with these things is you have 5 gal of waste water for every 1 gal of pure water. The waste water cannot be used for anything. I saved it in an accumulater for our irrigation system. It killed everything in about a week, including trees. Cannot justify that much waste living in AZ.
In Arz. a dog will not last over 5 years if it is drinking tap water or you will have a big vet bill. When I go to see my friends I bring R/O with me and the service filter kits. I install a rejection valve and it helps not to so much rejection waste water it will cut it by 1/3 to 1/2 of the waste water. I have a 5 stage on my RV and I have the same on my home as I have got to like it so much I can't drink water from and place but my own. Just ask Flint Michigan how good the lead taste in their tap water. On my RV I have even a water softener it helps the dry skin and the extra soap we use in the washer as I have a extra tank for drinking and one for bathing and washing machine as having a 100 gal I have 60 gal and a 40 gal in the same spot.
Have fun
Denis Holiday Rambler
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis RV View Post
In Arz. a dog will not last over 5 years if it is drinking tap water or you will have a big vet bill.
Denis Holiday Rambler
Our last Daschunds lived to be 18, 18.5, current Daschunds are 11 and 6. Where do you come up with this stuff? All of our water in this part of SE AZ comes from ground sources, or the San Pedro River. The river originates in Mexico (Cannonea) and is one of the 6 US rivers that flows S to N. BTW, our vet bills are limited to vaccinations.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We have an on board RO with 5 stages

Plus the OEM combination particulate/carbon filter

Most of the add on filters are single stage and unless they contain silver don't do anything for bacteria

When carbon filters are consumed and bacteria is growing there you don't know unless you are on chlorinated water and the taste comes through

Luckily most all of the US has properly treated water supplies

Many smaller well systems are untreated

Only about 10% of the country has low hardness and overall great quality water

Iron, sulphur, high sodium, high hardness. Sulphate and sulphur, are all issues folks that have traveled around encounter

Water quality is decreased yearly in many areas due to increased usage

Remember when the only water in a container on the shelf was distilled and usually for the steam iron?

Now many stores have an aisle of water and we have trillions of plastic bottles and many used by folks that don't know what trash receptacles are for

Nothing wrong with bottled water, usually the problem is the consumer but doesn't that also cover many other things?
Three years ago I installed my R/O and like you a 5 stage and I also installed a silver rod into my fill side of my tank and hooked it up to with some other parts to my 12 volt system to make sure my water system is good. I did this after me and the wife got sick from water we drank only to find out that the water at the place we part got contaminated when their pump went down and as you know your black water drop is next to the drinking water hook up, and I will leave it a that.
Being as sick as we was on our trip made me make sure it would never happen again as my UV is hook only to my 110 volt ac and it went through my filter system. If you don't have a system get or bring drinking water with you and I would check to make sure it has gone through a R/O as a lot of bottle water is not and it will sell for the same as the ones that are R/O filtered.
Hope this helps
Denis
Holiday Rambler
Old 08-31-2019, 06:51 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
1st, Everyone owns an RV. A Motor home is a type of RV.

What you described is a Class C Motor Home. A class A looks like BUS. Class B is built from a VAN and uses the full body. I don't know how they can up with this system.

Size of the holding tanks is not common to any one RV.
Everyone does not own an rv, I know plenty who don’t.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis RV View Post
Three years ago I installed my R/O and like you a 5 stage and I also installed a silver rod into my fill side of my tank and hooked it up to with some other parts to my 12 volt system to make sure my water system is good. I did this after me and the wife got sick from water we drank only to find out that the water at the place we part got contaminated when their pump went down and as you know your black water drop is next to the drinking water hook up, and I will leave it a that.
Being as sick as we was on our trip made me make sure it would never happen again as my UV is hook only to my 110 volt ac and it went through my filter system. If you don't have a system get or bring drinking water with you and I would check to make sure it has gone through a R/O as a lot of bottle water is not and it will sell for the same as the ones that are R/O filtered.
Hope this helps
Denis
Holiday Rambler
This is why it's important to double check before connecting to a campground's water system. Ask about recent problems, ask about water-boil advisories, ask other campers (especially seasonal) if there are reports of people getting sick, etc. etc.

The truth is that the vast majority of water in our country is safe to drink from the tap, even well water. Not sure about other jurisdictions, but around here wells used to supply multi-unit dwellings and commercial establishments (campgrounds & restaurants) must be tested and inspected regularly.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water