Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Drinking water snob here

Wondering if there are opinions on a fresh water hose type to pipe thru a filter unit into the coach for sinks and shower? We’ll probably still have our own bottled water for drinking. Thoughts? Thank you for sharing.
PrefrPourOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #2

There are a ton of threads on this topic.

Many use the Camco RV inline filter which typically costs around $15.

Hoses are another one that everyone seems to have an opinion on. Many use the basic white RV hoses. Others use high end ones like the Zero G. Some throw them out or repurpose them every year or two, others just keep them clean and get rid of them if there is a problem.

I use the Camco inline and the Zero G hoses. I do keep a couple of the white hoses since I bought them before I knew better and I have needed the reach a few times. I also found that the flexible hoses like Zero G do not work well for gravity filing from my portable bladder into my RV tank.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:59 PM   #3

You can get water hoses made for freshwater service at WalMart, Camping World and other MoHo stores. Usually white with a blue stripe or solid blue.

But I gotta be honest with you - read up on sanitizing your coaches freshwater system and storage.

Public water purification/disinfection systems are more than adequate to insure the bad guys are dead or have died before they get to the hose faucet connection that you will connect your freshwater hose to. And that there will be a residual disinfectant in the water as it goes into your coach.
Both the Fed’s and state/local governments require testing to insure all water that comes out of the faucet meet minimum regulatory requirements for disinfection.

But I will also say - that is assuming you are staying in an area that uses a public water system as opposed to well water - but then there are requirements they should meet if they are providing water to the public.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 AM   #4

I have been using the standard white hose with blue stripe for years. Now thats not saying its the best, nor the worst but it works for me. Each spring as part of my dewinterizing I put some bleach in the hose let is set a while and rinse. One other thing I do is when the hose is not being used I connect the ends together so no critters can call it home.

There are many different filter hook ups out there. The easiest like said is the blue camco filter. I have used it and felt as though is was doing as adverticed. I hooded it up between water source and hose. There are larger filter systems that can be used between hose and rig, you will just have to find them.

I also have (for the first time) a dedicated drinking water filter under the sink. I have never been one to not use water provided, as said the water at rv parks have to meet certain standards.

Good Luck
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #5

Instead of bottle water get a Berkeley Water Filter and Purifier System. They come in a variety of sizes to fit your available space. The system is a simple gravity fed system that requires no electricity or additional plumbing. You can fill it with foulest water and get 99.999 percent perfect potable water. Carrying bottled water just adds more weight to your rig and takes up more storage space. Worst of all bottled water creates an incredible amount of garbage.

Contrary to the plastic industries hype about recycling not every municipality has a recycling program. Not only that, most private RV parks don’t offer any kind of recycling. We have been traveling on the I-10 corridor since Palm Springs, CA. Currently in Crystal River, FL and the only places that had recycling for plastic was of course Palm Springs, Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson, Big Bend National Park, Carlsbad Caverns National Park. None in Texas, Louisiana, or the Gulf Coast of Florida.
bass player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use only hoses and fittings rated for potable water. We have a whole house set up on out rig and drink the water from the campground. We run a 5-micron sediment filter, a 5-micron carbon block filter and a water softener.

I do not see the sense in buying bottled water since all it is filter public water anyway. Plus, we save by not wasting resources with plastic bottles.

I am not a drinking water snob, but I am a beer snob.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use the standard white hose. There is no taste after days of the hose sitting in the sun.

I bought the Zero G hoses (25 and 50ft) they develop a taste after a day sitting in the sun. I like the hoses, the standard camco hose filter at the coach end of the hose gets ride of the taste. But I will not use the hoses except to wash the camper and fill the tanks.

We have a collection of filters depending on where we camp and the water quality. included is the camco hone filter, water softner, large canister filter and a carbon block on the cold water side of the kitchen sink water.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Zero G hose with the blue Camco inline filter to take out the larger stuff. We have a high-quality 1/2 micron solid carbon block filter under the sink with separate faucet that we use for all our consumable water. The under-sink filter is NSF 53 certified to take out lead, cysts, etc.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #9

Drinking water snob here

A hose that is round and has a hole in the middle for the water to pass through.
I buy upper end hoses only because they last longer and kink less. And I drain them and connect the ends together when putting them away. The latest hose I bought is almost impossible to kink but haven’t had it long enough to recommend. It is one with the stainless metal on the outside.
I don’t recommend the ones that shrivel and shrink without pressure and grow with, as the ends don’t last, length varies with pressure, and DO kink.
Another route is to buy cheap and replace often.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4345.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	360561
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #10

I have not found a hose yet that didn't completely alleviate the rubbery/vinyl taste from occurring at times. As mentioned, there seems to always be that taste in the water if the hose is in the sun. The hose I'm using now is made by Valterra and is decent, most, but not all of the time. I was thinking about getting a ZeroG hose but now I see above that they too deliver bad tasting water at times.

Has anyone found a hose that is completely free of the vinyl hose taste?

Btw, I don't use a filter since I'm not concerned about the campground's water quality. I just want to get rid of the hose's bad taste.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I have not found a hose yet that didn't completely alleviate the rubbery/vinyl taste from occurring at times. As mentioned, there seems to always be that taste in the water if the hose is in the sun. The hose I'm using now is made by Valterra and is decent, most, but not all of the time. I was thinking about getting a ZeroG hose but now I see above that they too deliver bad tasting water at times.

Has anyone found a hose that is completely free of the vinyl hose taste?

Btw, I don't use a filter since I'm not concerned about the campground's water quality. I just want to get rid of the hose's bad taste.

Maybe just use the hose long enough to fill your fresh water tank and run off the house pump. Let the water run through the hose a bit before filling at the gravity fill. It does require time but if the taste bothers you maybe worth the extra.
I don’t notice the taste but do prefer to run off the tank and house pump, that way it’s easy to shut off when we leave for the day, and cycles out the water in the tank so it’s never in there very long.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #12

Interesting point about not leaving hoses hooked up or out in the sun.

We rarely are at hook ups and I am not sure if I have ever left a hose connected the few times we were.

Our normal process is to flush the water spigot for a few seconds then attach the hose with filter and flush it for 5-10 seconds. Next we fill the tank. Once the tank is full we drain the hose and connect the ends together.

I do use quick fittings on my hoses.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #13

I sanitize my freshwater tank with bleach every few years . Once that is done, I leave home with a full tank, and use the water I have from my home. If I need to fill it again, I'll usually do it at a friends house that has water in there home that I think tastes ok. I hardly ever fill up at a campground. And I hardly ever hook up my water to a line. I just use the water in my tank and the onboard pump. But this is because I had a Rialta that I hardly ever showered in ( very small tanks ) If I was concerned about it, I would put a under sink filter feeding either the cold water in the kitchen sink, or, a separate drinking water valve. I detest water that tastes of chlorine or garden hose. A simple one stage water filter can usually get rid of most all bad tasting water.
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #14

I use a Zero-G hose because it is convenient and easy. Fill the freshwater tank, put the hose up and use the water pump that pumps water thru a .5 micron filter. Use that water for the shower, kitchen sink, drinking and toilet.
Don't use bottled water (if it's bad, it's really bad). Besides I grew up in the country on well water, spring water and creek water; so I'm probably immune to impurities.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water