Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #225

Just my .02, Progressive Insurance screwed me over about 20 years ago. They are a very dishonest and crooked company. One of the most dishonest I have ever dealt with. I wish anybody the best of luck if you have to deal with them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #226

State commissioner's offices can work wonders in cases like this. While not exactly the same thing this reminds me of problems my mother was having 20-30 years ago with the power going out at her house on an almost daily basis for no apparent reason, sometimes for an hour or two at a time. She called the local electrical co-op about it numerous times, got the runaround about her living out in the country, squirrels walking on the power lines, etc.

Anyway one day she got fed up with it and called one of her old college friend who happened to be the director of the state's public service commission (highest non-elected person there). You know it was amazing, her power did not go out a single time when there was not a storm for 3 years after that.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysigel View Post
Update 8 (in the never-ending saga now going on 3 months with Progressive):

Progressive agent, Kourtney....asked about a frame upgrade, referring to the vehicle's chassis, not the windshield frame.

He asked me about a frame upgrade. I told him that I didn't know anything about it and the coach manufacturer was no longer in business, although Spartan certainly is. I was never notified of any recalls, if there were any. He indicated that he will send his estimate or whatever and the company will decide. I asked him about the other claim with the unpaid send-out work on my transmission. He said that he didn't know anything about it. I told him that Kourtney said that he would be reviewing everything. He said that it wasn't his claim. It sounded like he was going to deny the glass damage claim on the basis of a "manufacturing defect."
Sounds like a big kettle of fish at this point.

In regards to Frame-Twisting. All vehicles twist to some extent, car, semi, rv or otherwise. Honestly, I'm not sure where the adjuster was going with that train of thought.
I would stay in contact with the glass people is regards to any windshield frame reinforcement. If need be do some out of pocket upgrades to the windshield frame for your own piece of mind.

As for strengthening the chassis frame, I would talk with an engineer, and see if anything was even warranted. My first guess is not. However, he may ave some suggestions on some steel gussets that can be bolted/welded/riveted in to decrease flexibility.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #228

Email Spartan with your VIN and ask about upgrades/recalls to your frame. That will give you a hard copy to work with and an authoritative answer from the manufacturer.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #229

I will contact Spartan as recommended.

Progressive denied the claim for damage to the windshield frame. They attribute it so "wear and tear" caused by frame and front cap twisting. This is what they wrote in the last few paragraphs:

"Based on the facts as we understand them and these policy provisions there is no comprehensive coverage for the front
end cap the damage is from a structural breakdown or failure that was exacerbated by wear and tear as twisting takes
place over time and cannot be classified as a sudden, direct, and accidental loss.
If you have any other insurance policies available to you that could possibly provide coverage for this loss, you should
notify those insurance carriers of this claim immediately and provide that policy information to Progressive. You have the
right to consult with an attorney of your own choosing at any time, at your own expense, with respect to this claim or the
issues raised in this letter. If you retain personal counsel, please let us know.
Thank you for your attention to this letter. We have closed our claim at this time. If you have any other information which
you feel may be relevant to the coverage issues outlined in this letter, please let us know. If you have questions or would
like to discuss this matter further, please contact us."

As for the windshield glass damage, Progressive is covering replacement of the L one only. They charged me a deductible for it, but under my policy, I have a zero deductible, so they will be sending me a payment for that. They are also increasing the amount they're paying for the drive shaft damage because they didn't cover the cost of the transmission repair send-out to the transmission shop. It is not the full amount, but it's adequate. Those payments have not arrived yet.

My further options are taking Mobile Mechanic to small claims court for the difference between what Progressive paid and my actual expenses. The limitation in TX is $10K. Small claims court doesn't require a lawyer.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #230

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Progressive denied the claim for damage to the windshield frame. They attribute it so "wear and tear" caused by frame and front cap twisting.
What answer did you get from your Texas Insurance Commission?

If the windshield was OK before the incident, but it broke as a result of the incident, I think you have a pretty good argument.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #231

I registered with the TX Insurance Commission, haven't filled the complaint yet. I'm waiting until the glass gets repaired. I complained to Progressive about charging me a deductible for the windshield when my policy has a zero-deductible for it. They mailed me a check for the $250 deductible and I received it yesterday. I also complained that they didn't cover the transmission repair that was done as a send-out. They said that they would be sending more money, but that hasn't arrived.

Progressive refused to cover the damage to the R windshield frame, stating that it was caused by frame twisting and they consider that "wear and tear" coverage exclusions. They sent me about $2000 for the L windshield, promised more if needed for shipping, etc. but nothing for re-seating the R windshield because, again, it occurred due to frame twisting.

Milstead RV Service Center has a partial estimate for the windshield replacement for the L and re-installation on the R for $3100. They're working on the cost of the body work.

I sent an inquiry to Spartan about the frame twisting issue as advised above.

Is there such a thing as a "better" insurance company, or is that an oxymoron?
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #232

Quote:
I registered with the TX Insurance Commission, haven't filled the complaint yet. I'm waiting until the glass gets repaired. I complained to Progressive about charging me a deductible for the windshield when my policy has a zero-deductible for it. They mailed me a check for the $250 deductible and I received it yesterday. I also complained that they didn't cover the transmission repair that was done as a send-out. They said that they would be sending more money, but that hasn't arrived.

Progressive refused to cover the damage to the R windshield frame, stating that it was caused by frame twisting and they consider that "wear and tear" coverage exclusions. They sent me about $2000 for the L windshield, promised more if needed for shipping, etc. but nothing for re-seating the R windshield because, again, it occurred due to frame twisting.

Milstead RV Service Center has a partial estimate for the windshield replacement for the L and re-installation on the R for $3100. They're working on the cost of the body work.

Hi Jay-

I've worked with some moronic oxen...

Dunno, I have my RV insurance with a division of Farmers and haven't had a claim so can't compare directly. Farmers did an outstanding job on a auto claim a couple years ago. Lots of communication; phone and email and via web site.

I don't think your current insurer is being malicious. I think their claims administration is built to treat each subsequent discovery of loss as a new claim, rather than an aggregation of losses arising from a single incident. That works in their favor, and they designed the system. Your recourse comes if they don't follow their contract of insurance as stated in your policy documents.

Progressive hasn't been generous but they don't seem inordinately stingy, either. Bumbling and stumbling? Yeah, they are, and ultimately I think that's in your favor, it just won't be quick.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #233

Quote:

Amica is the better insurance company you are looking for.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, motor, motorhome