Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Driver's License in PA; Coach Title in Florida?

I own a house in Pennsylvania and live there seven months out of the year. I also own a property for the motor home in Florida, a condominium RV & Golf Park. If I buy a newer coach and title it in Florida, can I keep my Pennsylvania driver's license?
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

Yes. I kept my NJ license for a few years after titling my cars and RV in FL., then switched it to my Florida address.

Now I switched the cars and RV to NY title. Cut my insurance in 1/2.

Still have my FL license.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #3

Pa. is your primary residence as you live there seven months out of the year. That is the state where you logically should be licensed. I would assume that is the location for your taxation purposes as well, and I don't mean vehicle taxes.

You also have a residence in Fl. which is a legitimate second "home." You are certainly able to register the MH in Fl. as that is where it is located and where it is stored. Should be no problem with either Pa. or Fl.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The only issue would come if you drive the motorhome to your PA house and park it there for weeks or months. Somebody will notice the FL tags and report you to the PA authorities, who will legitimately ask why you have the vehicle at home in PA but the legal paperwork in Florida. Depending on the circumstances, they may or may not agree that you have reason to use Fl for the motorhome "homebase".

Lot's of snowbirds in FL have licenses from their other home state, and many keep a vehicle in Fl. That's all perfectly legit as long as the vehicle mostly stays in FL or some other state than their other home.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

As noted above, the basic principle is that you get your driver's license in the state where you have your permanent residence, which usually means where you live 183 or more days per year. You get your RV registered and licensed in the state where you keep it the most. That just means the most, not necessarily the majority. You don't have to be licensed in the state to register your RV in that state.

The only problem you may have is if you keep your RV at a storage yard on Jan 1. Storage yards are required to report RVs that are in their yard on that day (same as boats). That usually triggers that state to send you a tax bill (and registration requirement) whether it is where you keep it the most or not.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually you can do whatever you want. It's only going to matter if you get pulled over or one of those 2 states decide they want to look into it.
Now about getting pulled over, the police might wonder why you have a different license that what the MH is registered, but then that also depends on where the insurance is held for the MH.
I could ASSUME that since the MH is registered in FL. the insurance is also for FL. in order to meet the minimum requirements for the state that it is registered in???
As I stated it only matters if you have an incident or get stopped.

Tags
driver, florida