Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Drivers seat motor

I have a Damon 2001 Ultrasport with a 6-way power drivers seat that isn't working. I have power to the motor, so the switch and fuses seem ok. The motor doesn't respond at all from any of the switch positions.

I'm not sure who makes the seat, but it appears there is only one motor, with a shaft coming out each side.

Is this motor repairable? Or where would I find a replacement? I've attached a picture.

-Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_232755_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	207152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	207155  

ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I had a similar problem in one of the motorhomes I had. It was a Flexsteel seat and I thought I could find a motor somewhere or take it apart and maybe figure out what was wrong. I had no luck and ended up replacing the entire seat track assembly. I'm not sure if you'll have to do that or not as somebody here might be able to help you better than I am doing.

I purchased THIS ONE but got it on e-bay for, it seems, around $200.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It looks simple enough to replace the entire track assembly, although I would rather find a cheaper solution.

I had another thought. When I was testing the wiring harness for power, the voltage going into the switch was 12volts. However, the voltage after the switch going to the motor was closer to 24volts. Does this sound right? Or is it still possible that the switch is at fault?

-Joel
Old 06-15-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I'm not sure about the voltage issue. I'm sort of electrically challenged. I can do simple stuff but as far as analyzing why you are seeing 24v after the switch is beyond my expertise.

I'm thinking that you have a different seat and set-up than I had with the one I replaced as I think I remember having two motors.

After doing some searching around, I have found a motor that "looks" similar to the one in the photo you provided. Can you see what the markings read? Do you see anywhere that says that it is a "Motorcraft" motor? Who knows, the seat manufacturer may have used a Ford part in their seat assembly.

I've attached the photo below. In examining it, to me, it looks similar but not exactly like the one in your photo. The one in the illustration below is a Motorcraft MM948 seat motor. It looks as if you can buy one for a bit over $100 new.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
That motor does look similar. Unfortunately there must be a dozen variations of the motor. I would need to take the seat apart to get the the exact part number, assuming it is even marked.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep researching.

-Joel
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Take the motor to Granger (if there is one in your area) along with any tags or labels. They may be able to match or crossmatch.
A friend had the motor on this wheel chair (very high dollar) he cannot get along without. A local electric motor shop was able to rebuild the motor for him. I might add - AT NO COST. He is a young man and was shot accidently by a friend after a day at the range
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I fixed the problem. Turns out it was a loose wire. Originally I misread my multi-meter. I thought I had 12v, but I had 1.2v instead. Once I realized that, I traced the wires and found a bad splice.

All is good now- thanks everyone for the help.

-Joel

Tags
driver