Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #15

Thanks Dav,

That makes sense now to put them under the frame, I do have a level concrete pad at home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #16
tcg

Sure, the best way to get your undercarriage perfectly clean would be jack it up and crawl under there. You're going to get wet.

These things are great for rinsing of the road dirt and keeping the salt away. You can get one for less than 50 bucks, assuming you already have a decent power washer. There are many to choose from ranging in price from about 30 bucks al the way up to 300+ bucks.

I also have a short spray gun for my pressure washer(pictured below). It's great for getting into those tight place where a longer spray arm is difficult to manage.

If you're really intent on crawling under there the short gun will make the job a little easier.

Another way to go, but a little harder to manage on a long arm, is a pivoting tip. The pivoting tip on the short gun would make it even easier if your laying underneath.

They also make an inline pressure adjuster so you can dial the pressure down on any pressure washer if your under side has any delicate areas you don't want to blast full force.

I use a pressure washer for hours at a time in my business.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayer.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	267612  
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Sure, the best way to get your undercarriage perfectly clean would be jack it up and crawl under there. You're going to get wet.

These things are great for rinsing of the road dirt and keeping the salt away. You can get one for less than 50 bucks, assuming you already have a decent power washer. There are many to choose from ranging in price from about 30 bucks al the way up to 300+ bucks.

I also have a short spray gun for my pressure washer(pictured below). It's great for getting into those tight place where a longer spray arm is difficult to manage.

If you're really intent on crawling under there the short gun will make the job a little easier.

Another way to go, but a little harder to manage on a long arm, is a pivoting tip. The pivoting tip on the short gun would make it even easier if your laying underneath.

They also make an inline pressure adjuster so you can dial the pressure down on any pressure washer if your under side has any delicate areas you don't want to blast full force.

I use a pressure washer for hours at a time in my business.
That last picture is exactly what I use. But with 4200 psi one has to be very careful to pull the trigger. Yes, living in the woods with lots of toys and equipment I love my power washer Going outside right now to blow the leaves off the lawn.

Wet? How about Soaked

Oh, I also use an engine degreaser for the powertrain back area. Typically two spray cans. Slide under, degrease, slide out, wait a few minutes, slide back in and hit it with the powerwasher. You can use a broad tip to make the powerwasher a little safer in tight quarters to not hurt rubber / hoses.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #18

Hi all,

Had a look under the coach and the rust is not bad at all. :-)
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #19

Sorry don’t see why everyone thinks the frame needs to look like it just left the factory. These are all built on commercial truck chassis’s. They certainly don’t park them in the winter nor do they get pressured washed once a week. Drive it and enjoy. We will most likely be dead before the frame rots.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy55378 View Post
Sorry don’t see why everyone thinks the frame needs to look like it just left the factory. These are all built on commercial truck chassis’s. They certainly don’t park them in the winter nor do they get pressured washed once a week. Drive it and enjoy. We will most likely be dead before the frame rots.
Hi,

That's a good point. I am not sure if the chassis I have is used on trucks (maybe it is), I say as Wormhorse bulled it's as custom motorhome chassis.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #21

Hi all,

I think I have missed titled this thread, it should of said late fall and early spring. I have no intention of using the coach from late Dec to mid March. I would not be using it unless the roads are dry and no snow at all in the forecast.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Those trucks certainly don't let them sit after they have been driven on salty roads either. Those trucks that get driven in foul weather get washed regularly frame and all. Certainly wouldn't want to buy a coach from you.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #23

Quote:
It's not the chassis parts to worry about. It's all the steel added ontop of the chassis. The stuff that gets installed and limited paint coating.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #24

We head into West Virginia snow skiing every year and spend a week or two in their state resort parks. You must be prepared for the worst weather, and hope for the best weather. Rain or snow doesn't slow us down, but ice will. We have driven through 6 inches of snow without much of a problem. And West Virginia has some steep hills! We bought our coach to use, and use it we do.

I never wash the bottom as there are sooooooo many nooks and crannies you would never get them all. Its best to wait for a rain storm and take her out for a drive and a natural good bottom washing. Remember when using a pressure washer, there are a lot of wiring and connectors under there, and other sensitive items that high pressure washer could damage.

I always run with full water tank, and empty waste tanks. Fuel it always kept above a 1/2 tank (our generator will stop running at 1/4 tank) and we head out to have fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160127_094158.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	267738  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #25

Hi Bigd,

I bet indeed ice is the big issue. Do you keep the slides in?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi Bigd,

I bet indeed ice is the big issue. Do you keep the slides in?
No we usually don't. With the slide toppers when it is time to retract the slides I just pull them slowly and the snow simply falls off as the rooms come in.

BTW, it can take weeks after the snow for the salt to disappear from the roadways. A few weeks ago we crossed the Rockies using Interstate 70 and going through the Eisenhower Tunnel at the top. It was three days after a snow and the views were breathtaking! But the salt and grit just covered the toad so much it was hard to tell what the original color was!

Note: I was involved in a study trying to see if washing salt and/or plow trucks really helped with the corrosion. Our findings were salt residue stayed on metal even after power washing, and there were so many areas the crews missed when washing, it just didn't make sense to wash the trucks after each storm. Salt is a sticky substance. Also in our study of 10 trucks in a equipment barn, the concentration of salt from the washings damaged the concrete floors and lower walls and the runoff caused contamination of waterways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160127_160118.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	267785  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #27

winter camping in north central

We enjoy winter camping in Wisconsin. We are currently pulling a Kodiak Cub. It is our second camper.

I learned from our first to paint all the plated hardware while it was new. I used a zinc chromate under a hard high gloss top coat.

On the first, I had to repeatedly replace plated hardware. Painting the replaced hardware worked, but replacing with stainless when available was the best solution.

Winter camping in Wisconsin and I expect MI, has special needs. Most camp grounds shut off water and close dump stations. This happens in general everywhere north of St. Louis and in mountains. I found two dump stations in WI that stay open in winter. Neither have water in the winter. One becomes inaccessible on occasion under ice.

Pit toilets stay open. Seats are cold.

I wish you happy trails.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #28

Hi Bigd,

Thanks for that info, sounds like you have great experience with this subject.

Hi Persistent,

I do a lot of winter camping in tents but have never done do with a rv.

Tags
chassis, rust, winter