Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Driving RV vs Motorhome

Ok so I am debating with the old lady about an upcoming trip....here are the details:
We are driving from Tucson to Ft. Walton Beach to do some house hunting for an upcoming move. I really want to take the RV (08 Freelander class C) to have my 2 very soon to be 3 kids ride comfortable. We will have a newborn and thought it would be a lot easier to care for the baby on the road in a motorhome. My wifey says it isn't worth the extra cost in gas then having to find a car. I say I rather pay the extra gas and have the freedom of an rv. Are other option is taking our 8 passenger Toyota Sequoia. Of course the kids want the rv too
Update while I was typing this my wife called and said her friend would allow us to use her car while in Florida. She is still hesitant tho. Help me out here how can I sell it to her that an rv is the better choice!!! I know at least some of you had to deal with this before.
Thanks in advance!
Air Force Mike
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Air Force Mike,

I'm wandering, won't the cost of motels out weigh the cost of fuel? Yo can probably find bases to overnight on the way. Ceretainly state and Federal parks are very inexpensive to stay in. Just a thougt.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm with you Mike. I like having the convenience of stopping at a rest area to use the bathroom and fix our lunch before moving on. It is well worth the extra gas to me. And I would rather stop in my MH than stay at a hotel. Especially with kids. Most CG have play areas where they can play. Hotels don't. When we took our grandkids, we would belt them in at the dinette so they could color or play with their toys. Hope this helps.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg
Air Force Mike,

I'm wandering, won't the cost of motels out weigh the cost of fuel? Yo can probably find bases to overnight on the way. Ceretainly state and Federal parks are very inexpensive to stay in. Just a thougt.

Jim
If we stayed at budget motels it wouldn't. I figure we would overnight 2 times on our trip there. Driving about 599-550 miles a day. We would probably then stay on base while in Florida but even then it is over 40 a night.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Air Force Mike,

Wow, that is surprising. Most state and federal parks we stay in run less then $25 a night. I know FL campgrounds are high, but I didn't think a base would be that high.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd take the MH and stay in a Wal*Mart or two on the way. Cost more? Maybe but I like/want the convenience of the MH. Worth the extra cost to us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg
Air Force Mike,

Wow, that is surprising. Most state and federal parks we stay in run less then $25 a night. I know FL campgrounds are high, but I didn't think a base would be that high.

Jim
Jim
Sorry for the confusion, the 40/night price I was quoting was for the hotel on base. The campground on base is 19/night.
AF Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
If we stayed at budget motels it wouldn't. I figure we would overnight 2 times on our trip there. Driving about 599-550 miles a day. We would probably then stay on base while in Florida but even then it is over 40 a night.
You need to check out this site if you haven't already. Fam Camp at Ft. Walton Beach is $20 a night.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

Other things to consider are:
1. Cost of food. Eating in the RV will be much cheaper than eating out all the time.
2. Checking in and out of motels every night and carrying bags and all gets old fast.
3. On the news there has been stories of an outbreak of bedbugs across the nation especially in the budget motels. Bedbugs have been known to hitchhike back home on your luggage.

As other people have mentioned you can spend some nights in Walmart parking lots for free to save money.

Since you are active duty military a lot of campgrounds will give you a discount if you show your ID card. I've even heard of a few that will let you stay for free.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304

You need to check out this site if you haven't already. Fam Camp at Ft. Walton Beach is $20 a night.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

Other things to consider are:
1. Cost of food. Eating in the RV will be much cheaper than eating out all the time.
2. Checking in and out of motels every night and carrying bags and all gets old fast.
3. On the news there has been stories of an outbreak of bedbugs across the nation especially in the budget motels. Bedbugs have been known to hitchhike back home on your luggage.

As other people have mentioned you can spend some nights in Walmart parking lots for free to save money.

Since you are active duty military a lot of campgrounds will give you a discount if you show your ID card. I've even heard of a few that will let you stay for free.

Good Luck,
Jon
Thanks John,
Yeah I may have confused a few ppl saying it was 40/ night on base. I was referring to the on base lodging. But, thanks for the site I have the allstays camp and rv app and that has alot of great info as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Good luck on your AF career. I hope the politicians don't mess up your retirement and medical coverage too bad. I've been talking to the active duty personnel here at Robins AFB and a lot are considering getting out due to the cutbacks on medical and changes they want to make for retirement.

We stayed in for 22 years.

The wife and I bought the RV so we wouldn't have to worry about who stayed in/slept in the bed before us. You will also find better neighbors in the RV parks than you will in the budget motels.

Thanks for your and your wife's service.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Okay, I'm 100% in favor of the RV because you have all your own stuff, no packing and unpacking at hotel/motels etc. ON THE OTHER HAND, she is the pregnant one and should have the final vote. You should be able to present your case, discuss and let her say.

Just my two cents.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304
Mike,

Good luck on your AF career. I hope the politicians don't mess up your retirement and medical coverage too bad. I've been talking to the active duty personnel here at Robins AFB and a lot are considering getting out due to the cutbacks on medical and changes they want to make for retirement.

We stayed in for 22 years.

The wife and I bought the RV so we wouldn't have to worry about who stayed in/slept in the bed before us. You will also find better neighbors in the RV parks than you will in the budget motels.

Thanks for your and your wife's service
Jon
Thanks again Jon. This will be my last assignment. I find it pretty cool that this was my first assignment. I met my wife and married her there when I was 19. 16 years and 3 kids later we are heading back to settle down. I'm not too worried about he retirement or medical cutbacks. Congress already shot down the increases in tricker and I think our retirement will be safe as long as we get a change in the white house.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz
Okay, I'm 100% in favor of the RV because you have all your own stuff, no packing and unpacking at hotel/motels etc. ON THE OTHER HAND, she is the pregnant one and should have the final vote. You should be able to present your case, discuss and let her say.

Just my two cents.

JoAnn
Happy wife happy life right?
Btw we will be having the newest family addition next Thursday at the latest.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
OK, she's hormonal. Been there, done that. Let her get past the birth first, THEN rehash this decision. I'm with you - RV all the way. Lugging in the baby stuff to the motel room and restaurants? No thank you. Immediate access to a bathroom and YOUR food as opposed to who-knows-what when you get to stop? No brainer.

Congratulations and thanks for your service!!!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote