Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 10:06 PM   #1

Drop down bed Lippert controller fault

Hello the drop-down bed above the driver's area is controlled by a Lippert Dual Motor syncronus velocity slide controller, part number 13398 DO. Several months ago I noticed a fault code of 1 green 9 red, which indicates a Motor #1 Hall power short to ground. This code will happen with the power on (main power switch for the RV) and the bed has not moved for a period of time in both up and down positions. Once reset I can turn the power off and on with no codes, but if I turn the power off and come back the next day it will show the code when I flip the power switch. As soon as I touch the switch the code goes away and the bed operates as it should. One side does settle a bit after it is raised to the stored position and the switch is released. I asked the dealer to look at it when it was there. The service manager said it was nothing to worry about and that it sometimes happens for no reason. The other day I swapped the motor harnesses, I touched the switch and the controller reset when I power on the next day I had the same code on motor #1. This occurs on generator, shore, and 12volt power.
It's going back to the shop next week, does the controller need to be replaced or is this normal? Is there anything else I can test?
MovingCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2023, 06:22 AM   #2

Hall effect sensors determine position magnetically. If it actually is shorted to ground I'd look to see if the harness got tangled in the linkage. It's probably mounted near the motor and gearbox, maybe in the gearbox, a round tube with 2 wires. It's also probably only going to get worse with time.

I'd change it, at least make sure the harness isn't getting hung up in the linkage. If it shows signs, route it out of the way, tape it up and clip it so it can't interfere again.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Hall effect sensors determine position magnetically. If it actually is shorted to ground I'd look to see if the harness got tangled in the linkage. It's probably mounted near the motor and gearbox, maybe in the gearbox, a round tube with 2 wires. It's also probably only going to get worse with time.

I'd change it, at least make sure the harness isn't getting hung up in the linkage. If it shows signs, route it out of the way, tape it up and clip it so it can't interfere again.
Argosy, thank you for the reply, would it be correct to say that when I swapped the wire harnesses between 1 and 2 at the controller the fault should have moved to motor #2 if it was an issue with the harness or motor?
Old 01-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #4

It depends on how the motor is built. Sometimes the sensor will be internal and the signal wires part of the motor harness. Other times they will be external. Are there separate plugs on the board for the sensors?
Old 01-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
It depends on how the motor is built. Sometimes the sensor will be internal and the signal wires part of the motor harness. Other times they will be external. Are there separate plugs on the board for the sensors?
The connectors from each motor to the controller each contain 5 wires; In, Out, Hall power, Hall Sensor, and Hall Ground. I attached a picture but have no idea why it flipped upside down. To me, this would indicate a controller issue, by swapping the connectors if the fault was in the harness or the motor it should have moved to motor #2 on the controller.
The service manager states this fault happens sometimes and is nothing to worry about, I'm not sure I will be able to get them to replace it without justification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230108_143949.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	384219  
Old 01-12-2023, 01:25 PM   #6

I agree if you swapped motors on the controller and the error stayed on #1 it's the controller, I'm not sure I can tell you anything that will make them change it. Get it on record you had a problem within the warranty period, can you text or email the dealer and ask for an appointment to check out the bed controller?

My other thought is it's also a slide controller so there are a lot of them out there. It's been a couple of days and no one has popped up here that had the same problem so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the service manager's explanation, everything that happens has a reason.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I agree if you swapped motors on the controller and the error stayed on #1 it's the controller, I'm not sure I can tell you anything that will make them change it. Get it on record you had a problem within the warranty period, can you text or email the dealer and ask for an appointment to check out the bed controller?

My other thought is it's also a slide controller so there are a lot of them out there. It's been a couple of days and no one has popped up here that had the same problem so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the service manager's explanation, everything that happens has a reason.
Thanks for the input, No warranty it is a 2018 Thor, they have just been fixing things I found when I got it home. It goes back Monday I will see what happens.

Tags
controller, lippert