Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Dropping a Fuel Tank

Looks like I have to drop the fuel tank on my 2003 Dolphin LX on Workhorse chassis As I have never attemped this any and all suggestions on how to proceed or tricks anyone has learned would be appreciated
Medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I dropped one on a Holiday Rambler. Had to siphon all fuel and still that thing was heavy. There may be an inspection port in the floor of your coach. How come you need to drop it??
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I dropped a lot of fuel tanks on automobiles and trucks and I am sure this is no different except a lot heavier. First you need to get the fuel out of it. Then place a piece of plywood to jack against with a floor jack and loosen the straps or bolts that hold it in place. Remove the fill hose and the lines to the engine. I imagine this tank is going to be heavy even if it is empty. So would be nice to have a couple of extra hands to help you steady it and get it down. Good luck. You never said why you needed to drop it.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the fuelline to my genset is leaking and the only access is top of tank as to cutting a hole in the floor the sewage tank is mounted above the fuel tank
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
do you have enough slack in the fuel lines ?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried to drop the tank and gave up. The tank is very heavy! There are about 5 heavy straps holding the tank which can be removed with I think 18 or 19 mm socket. You would also have to loosen the worm screw clamps to remove the fuel fill and vent hoses. I was thinking that since there is a cover over the 2nd fuel fill which is not used by National Rv it might be easier to not drop the tank and instead engineer a fuel line pick-up tube using the unused fuel vent tube located on the side of the fuel tank. I think that would work better because you would not have to drop the tank. Look it over and let me know what your thoughts are. If you do drop the tank, replace the hose with metal line to the top of the tank so its at least done right.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My problem is when ever I start the generator fuel flows from the top of the tank so I have to drop the tank to get at the deteriorated fuel line
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So what are your thoughts on using the unused vent on the opposite side of the gas tank and dropping in a generator fuel pick-up tube?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I might try a remote 2nd fuel tank rather than having to drop the tank until you have to! Sooner or later you will need to change out the fuel pump for the 8.1 and that is when I would replace the line to the generator.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did it today. I drained the tank and then dropped the tank it took about 1 2/2 hrs to drain the tank I had presoaked the bolts with penetrating oil a few days ago so the bolts where not that hard to get off I used a floor jack and a large piece of wood to lower the tank I then raised one end at a time to replace it I will have to hook up the filler tube and vent line tomorrow to tired now there is a electrical plug that was on a short line that broke as the tank tipped on me but I was able to repair it with some glue hope it works do not want to have to do this again new lines and clamps cost me $45.00
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic318 View Post
Did it today. I drained the tank and then dropped the tank it took about 1 2/2 hrs to drain the tank I had presoaked the bolts with penetrating oil a few days ago so the bolts where not that hard to get off I used a floor jack and a large piece of wood to lower the tank I then raised one end at a time to replace it I will have to hook up the filler tube and vent line tomorrow to tired now there is a electrical plug that was on a short line that broke as the tank tipped on me but I was able to repair it with some glue hope it works do not want to have to do this again new lines and clamps cost me $45.00
Hello my friend! I have the same problem with my dolphin. I have the same model as you, but mine is a 36' 6355 model. My genny line started leaking so i spliced the supposely bad hose. But a few weeks later it started leaking again. At first I thought it was the fuel inlet hose, but later found it to be the return hose that I tried to fix. Now after priming the genny so much trying to start it, gas is pouring off the top of tank. I believe I need to drop the darn tank. I appreciate your explaination of your process. Is there any other info you could pass on to me that you may have forgotten? Any things you wouldve changed? Any thing to do to prevent that wire from breaking? Anything would be helpful. Thanks
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased a Winnebago Adventurer 35U F53 mid June. When we filled the gas tank it would leak bad so we decided to use it and only fill it 3/4 full untill we could repair it. We continued to smell gas at times so I calculated the last trip to return home empty and then removed the tank. The rubber O ring that was placed under the fuel pump was miss aligned and leaking. I replaced the fuel pump and O ring with original Ford parts # F7UZ9H307DC. It listed for $468.85 and I paid $374.50 after tax. I also replaced all vent hoses and clamps along with a new generator hose. I believe that the original owner had this problem. If I can help anyone with this just let me know. I have pictures of the job if needed. Note: the generator fuel line suction with the new pump needs the 2" rubber hose installed to allow it to be used at factory level. Mine was at 10 7/8". Test that the fuel pump is not only running but also pumping before reinstalling the tank. I did not and had to do this job 2 times.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is not a lot to add to my original post I am trying to remember as that was 4 yrs ago I did have to drop the tank twice as I had neglected to mark the hoses as to which was which and hooked them up backwards so from this I would suggest that you mark every attachment as you remove them. The second drop was a snap as a matter of fact I only had to drop the front end of the tank leaving the back straps loose but not disconnected to change the routing of the hoses you may try this before you drop the whole tank just make sure your tank is empty Good Luck
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #14

While I have not had to mess with a fuel tank, one suggestion I have for any project is to take lots of pictures! With todays cameras, there is no reason not to take pictures. They help in more ways then one can guess. We recently did some major work on a snow machine and took lots of pictures. When we put it back together, a week later, we were not sure where a couple lines went. The pictures showed where they went and all went well.
Good luck on your project!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote