Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 10:40 PM   #1

Dumb generator question

Hey I got a great used generator off CL and it runs awesome, powers my 91 class C, and isn’t as loud as I thought it would be. I did have to convert it from an “above floor” to “below floor” with new exhaust parts.

Ok here’s my dumb question: Is it standard that the key must be in the on position in order for your generator to start? I have to on mine and the guy that sold it to me had to do the same to start it for me.

It actually may be a good safety mechanism so someone can just hit the button and fired it up.

Thanks much.
Hi-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
None of my rigs have ever needed the ignition switch to be on to start the generator.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #3

we're on MH #3 since 1986 and all would run without the key.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Sounds like it is wired thru an ignition relay......
Bypass the relay and wire it directly to battery
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:23 AM   #5

In previous posts, you had battery or battery cable issues. I believe you still do.

When you turn on the key, you are connecting the chassis ( starter) battery to the house ( generator ) battery thru a solenoid.

That says there is no or a very poor connection from the generator cable to the house battery OR the house battery is dead. Turning on the key is by-passing that problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Yes I did have problems and I must still have them . I’ll have to have it looked at because wiring is not my forte.

By the way, does the large gray strap that goes from the generator to the mounting plate serve as the ground?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Laker View Post
Yes I did have problems and I must still have them . I’ll have to have it looked at because wiring is not my forte.

By the way, does the large gray strap that goes from the generator to the mounting plate serve as the ground?
Yes, you need a ground from the generator to the chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

So you bought just a regular generator and installed it like the ones for the RV are, right? If so I have seen a few portable generators that have a remote control and most have to have the key on for the remote to work.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

Just got back from a weekend camping trip. It worked great...just have to turn the key on to start it!

It’s the exact model for my rig and came out of the same year of another. His was in a storage compartment and I needed it to mount to my existing bracket. Runs awesome. I thought the ground was achieved through the large gray braided strap that goes from the generator to the bracket it’s mounted to but maybe it’s not getting grounded until I turn the key to make the ground connection through the grounded battery? Again, electrical is not my forte.

I’ll try to ground it to the frame to see if it solves it. If not, I think the bypassing of the ignition relay is the answer.

Not tech savvy either and not understanding how to attach photos. Picture an Onan Genset 4000 emerald plus.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Grounding the strap to the frame would have nothing to do with the ignition switch. You need 12 volts to the gen without using the ignition.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator