Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
E15 mileage and engine duration in older RVs

In my everyday rigs that get about 30 MPG on the highway, I see a 2 MPG decay using E10 which is now mandated by our state year around.

The RV MPG doesn't seem to decay enough to be noticeable on E10, but I wonder about the experiences of others who drive across states with lower ethanol levels. Do you notice a difference?

The main part that bugs me is paying more for fuel with less and less petroleum, resulting in more to buy to drive the same miles. The other is using food to power vehicles although it is safer than MTBE. (MTBE contaminated 50% of Santa Monica's water supply). http://www.epa.gov/mtbe/water.htm

My rig is a 2001 (2000 chassis) that may well be susceptible to damage if E15 becomes a reality due to its age/design. The MPG may be impacted. I also wonder about the Onan generator that shares the same fuel. See article comment about rigs that are 2001 and newer "should" be safe for E15.

If this moves through, I expect my state to also mandate E15 as "Regular Unleaded".

http://news.yahoo.com/boost-cars-bus...072447781.html

Thoughts? Should we advise vintage RV drivers to avoid E15? Will we need to convert our onboard generators to propane models or carry a Jerry can of E10 or below to run it? Please keep it civil and avoid the "what you like or don't like" about the politics of currently elected officials.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't own a gas rig, but we have two boats and all the boat motor mfg's are saying they cannot (will not) warranty their motors if E15 is used. Most are saying E10 already has their engines at their limits. Most all marinas only sell ethanol free fuel. And the biggest no..no is to store a boat with E10 in it. The ethanol tends to separate from the gas and once that happens it cannot be mixed back. Running a motor on pure ethanol will burn it up and just running it will destroy any rubber gaskets. If you can, stay away from E15.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

I wouldn't use it in anything that isn't labeled as a "Flex Fuel" vehicle. Even our 2013 F53 chassis isn't among those considered to be able to use more than 10% ethanol. We also have a 2010 Ford that is labeled as "Flex Fuel". Even then the manufacturer cautions to use no more than 50% in a tank full of fuel.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

I would avoid E15 at all costs...............in every engine no matter the year.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Cant avoid it here in the STL area....10% minimum in all our gasoline for clean air (they claim).
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
the only good use for ethanol

Me, being from Iowa, I truly believe that the only good use for ethanol is mixed with cola or in dragsters!!!

In Gasoline it might work but just because it works .. Don't mean it's a good idea.. IE killing a fly with an A-bomb .. it'll work ...BAD IDEA!

And just for good measure, The price of fuel has me p.o.'d anyway .. those of you from the Midwest I have a question, why the spike THIS YEAR? ( The media said it was due to refinery shutdowns in the Chicago area) I found out the other day that all the fuel in THIS part of Iowa comes from a company called Magellan and the refineries they use are in TEXAS. AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??

SORRY, just had to add fuel to the fire
dtclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #7

When engine manufacturers say 15% ethanol is bad than how much better can 10% be? I'll run E10 if I have to, but always use 100% gasoline if possible.

Perhaps we need a thread identifying states that still offer 100% gasoline. Oklahoma is one.
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
When engine manufacturers say 15% ethanol is bad than how much better can 10% be? I'll run E10 if I have to, but always use 100% gasoline if possible.

Perhaps we need a thread identifying states that still offer 100% gasoline. Oklahoma is one.
No ethanol Premium is available in most states. Sometimes it's labeled "for recreational vehicle use". Essentially it means it can be used in small displacement or 2 cycle engines without destroying the engine and the fuel lines.

The only place I know no ethanol regular is available is in Iowa. It's interesting that the state that provides the most corn for the ethanol industry also offers ethanol free gasoline in 2 grades.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We have to change our fuel lines every couple of years thanks to the E10 - it destroys, and I don't mean maybe, rubber fuel lines. The next time I'm replacing them with the lines lined with PTFE - it's just too dangerous to risk an engine fire with this junk in the fuel. As for MPG, I've seen a drop of about %10-15 MPG since E10 came out, in both my daily driver vehicles and in my camper. By the way, this is not speculation - I keep detailed logs in all my vehicles and the loss happened across the board in all of them...

- Randy
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
We have to change our fuel lines every couple of years thanks to the E10 - it destroys, and I don't mean maybe, rubber fuel lines. The next time I'm replacing them with the lines lined with PTFE - it's just too dangerous to risk an engine fire with this junk in the fuel. As for MPG, I've seen a drop of about %10-15 MPG since E10 came out, in both my daily driver vehicles and in my camper. By the way, this is not speculation - I keep detailed logs in all my vehicles and the loss happened across the board in all of them...

- Randy
I got so tired of leaking and brittle gas lines on lawn & garden equipment I switched to no ethanol premium a couple years ago. It seemed every season about 1/2 the pieces of equipment needed new fuel lines. For a few years I was buying fuel line by the 50' spool. Now all I do is "fill er up" and away we go. I realize there's no economic advantage to using premium gas other than the fact that the brand I use doesn't have ethanol. It probably saves $20.00 a year in fuel line costs and several hours labor.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Non-ethanol gas is available.. usually somewhat higher than the E-??? fuels.
In Pensacola we have mid-grade and Premium pure gas available..
Nationwide list here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Don't derail this thread but "they" are doing the same thing to our diesel. Go here to follow:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/bio-d...se-162211.html
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #12

DT, we run methanol in drag cars, not ethanol. Similar but different. Methanol has the corrosion and drying issues just like ethanol but we have additives to almost eliminate those problems.

Anyone ever give a thought that the oil companies are preparing for another major clean up like the gulf spill....the $$ spent for those clean ups have to come from somewhere....just a thought??
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
DT, we run methanol in drag cars, not ethanol. Similar but different. Methanol has the corrosion and drying issues just like ethanol but we have additives to almost eliminate those problems.

Anyone ever give a thought that the oil companies are preparing for another major clean up like the gulf spill....the $$ spent for those clean ups have to come from somewhere....just a thought??
All I can say is this shoulda known better.... it's methanol not ethanol ya moron SHEESH!!!
dtclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Non-ethanol gas is available.. usually somewhat higher than the E-??? fuels.
In Pensacola we have mid-grade and Premium pure gas available..
Nationwide list here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Don't derail this thread but "they" are doing the same thing to our diesel. Go here to follow:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/bio-d...se-162211.html
Unfortunately there are none near where I live, and when we're on the road it's hit and miss (usually miss). I'd love to be able to get any E0 fuel, let alone two grades

- Randy