Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

Electric motorhomes. This GM chassis almost looks like a motorhome. Getting closer.

Saw this and thought. Hmmm. This is the Gm EV600 Van. A 150 more miles of range and this would probably a good candidate for an integrator to build a motorhome on. Range still a little short at 250 miles but still. Baby steps. Another few years and they'll be close. Who knows. Anyway. Interesting read.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...-ev-ces-fedex/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

Just don't expect to charge it over night with a 50 amp RV outlet, I did the math a couple of days ago and you are looking at 100% of the output of a 50 amp RV outlet for something around 15 hours to do a full charge, more if some of that power needs to to to house loads, this is assuming that the RV park outlets are wired to provide full 50 amp output.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Just don't expect to charge it over night with a 50 amp RV outlet, I did the math a couple of days ago and you are looking at 100% of the output of a 50 amp RV outlet for something around 15 hours to do a full charge, more if some of that power needs to to to house loads, this is assuming that the RV park outlets are wired to provide full 50 amp output.
Yepir. And I think the most you can pull from a 50 amp plug is 40 amps. So lets say half of that to the RV, you are looking at about a 5 KW charge rate to the coach drive batteries. If one is there for a couple days or more it would be fine. A lot of our RV touring is drive half a day, stay for three days and take in the sites. Rinse and repeat. It would probably work for some.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #4

Unfortunately that strategy does not work so well in the vast open nothingness of middle part of the US
Old 01-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Unfortunately that strategy does not work so well in the vast open nothingness of middle part of the US
Absolutely, and I doubt anyone rational will dispute this current (pun intended) circumstance.

I'm in a 'fly over' state. Heck, a lot of folks won't even drive across this part of the country. It's a long way between Nowhere and "you can see it from here". Existing battery technology, charging infrastructure, and electrical grid aren't ready for vehicles that need to cover those distances in a timely manner.

But they will be. Not everywhere all at once, but it's gonna happen.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my Crusty Old Luddite meeting, we have some weaving looms to smash...
Old 01-15-2021, 04:59 PM   #6

You could always use a gas generator to charge the batteries------ahhh never mind
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
You could always use a gas generator to charge the batteries------ahhh never mind
Tom
LOL

Although I wouldn't be surprised if an integrator incorporated some kind of 2 KW solar array for off grid camping. Maybe incorporate it into the roof and awnings. That and a 300 KW battery bank would give you some serious off grid staying power. Just don't run those mains down to far or you'll be pushing.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #8

I think the real market for these will be people with "paradise" in their backyards. Those people that can get to their choice of several long weekend RV destinations within a couple of hours of driving time. Think people that live in Denver, San Francisco, or perhaps even Seattle or Portland. No so much for people in Wichita, Houston, Dallas, Chicago or even Atlanta.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
I think the real market for these will be people with "paradise" in their backyards. Those people that can get to their choice of several long weekend RV destinations within a couple of hours of driving time. Think people that live in Denver, San Francisco, or perhaps even Seattle or Portland. No so much for people in Wichita, Houston, Dallas, Chicago or even Atlanta.
Throw BC in there. On Friday after work its a mad rush of smaller motorhomes and 25 foot trailers headed down the rod to the local lakes etc. And on Sunday afternoon they are all coming home. There are a gazillion camp grounds within three hours or four hours.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #10

RV parks cant handle that type of electric load. Most can barely handle existing load.

I doubt you will see many parks spend the money to upgrade their electric grid to give freeloaders electricity.

And expect huge premiums over gas/diesel units to buy. Fuel costs for gas/ diesel are peanuts compared to overall rv ownership costs.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
RV parks cant handle that type of electric load. Most can barely handle existing load.

I doubt you will see many parks spend the money to upgrade their electric grid to give freeloaders electricity.

And expect huge premiums over gas/diesel units to buy. Fuel costs for gas/ diesel are peanuts compared to overall rv ownership costs.
I can’t see why an RV park wouldn’t charge for the power and have another revenue stream. Makes sense. There is an RV park close to us that has a pay per use clipper creek L2 station. Not sure what they charge but I think it’s a flat rate daily. Opportunities.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post

I don't see anyone advocating the giving away electricity to "freeloaders". A certain amount of juice can come with the site, overage paid by the kW. Campgrounds and parks could contract with private charging services to install pay-to-play charging stations, who might leverage the local power company to provide the needed service.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #13

Because that is likely to work out so much better than private wifi contractors at RV parks.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Because that is likely to work out so much better than private wifi contractors at RV parks.
I don't know. Companies like Chargepoint and EVGO are pretty good with their networks. The few times I have run across an out of service unit is when they were vandalized. and that would be less likely in an RV park.

Really though, the campground operator could keep more of the profit if they went low tech and just had a pay per use fee or daily fee with something as low tech as a padlock on the breaker. The unit itself is around 700 bucks plus the 50 to 80 amp feed depending on what market they are aimed at.

This one is in a local RV park here. Its behind the parks gate and I have no idea what they charge. I have used it but was there on business. It is a 40 amp unit si needs a 50 amp breaker.

Tags
chassis, electric, motor, motorhome, motorhomes