Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, I have to disagree with your statement that oil filled only good for enclosed rooms. We decided to go with oil filled after seeing them recommended in Motorhome magazine. They work great and we have used them during below freezing weather and were very comfortable. 1 at each end of the motorhome and we are good throughout our motorhome. We've had company in our rig and they have all remarked how nice they worked and how comfortable they were.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with your statement that oil filled only good for enclosed rooms. We decided to go with oil filled after seeing them recommended in Motorhome magazine. They work great and we have used them during below freezing weather and were very comfortable. 1 at each end of the motorhome and we are good throughout our motorhome. We've had company in our rig and they have all remarked how nice they worked and how comfortable they were.
My coach is a 93 with single pane windows and no slides. The oil filled heater I have had for years does not heat the coach well as a single source of heat. One oil filled will not heat my coach at below freezing. If I had two I could possibly get by but do I really want to climb over one in my bedroom? You mentioned you have two so I assume you have slides. Most RV;rs have very little extra space to place a heater in the first place and powering two heaters in cold weather on a 30 circuit is tough, especially at breakfast with my toaster and microwave running. Having said that I understand that we all have different size RV's with different needs. I guess when looking for a heater, this has to be considered. If you have room for two radiator heaters then you are all set.
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #31

We want to keep the interior temp at about 45 to 50F while the RV is parked alongside the house for the winter.

Most of the oil-filled heater thermostats have very crude analog dials with no actual air temperature readouts and can't control below about 68F. I don't need the rig that warm, as we aren't in it, so I'm thinking of getting a plug-in digital t/stat from Amazon which has control from 40F on up and then plugging an oil-filled radiator into it. I would site the radiator about between the kitchen and the bathroom, where I think the need for a bit of warmth is appropriate.

I might put a "Kill-a-Watt" meter uopstream of the t/stat so I can get a feel for how much my electric bill might go up.

Comments?.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just got a Duraflame DFS-450. It's a 1500W with fake fire place...looks nice. However, all the reviews stated it was very effective, and I've found that today, when my coach was 54 degress inside, I turned it on and it took almost 4 hrs. to get to 70. It was about 50 outside. I really don't mind that it takes awhile, if I need heat in a hurry, I'll just fire uo the furnace, then let the little one maintain temp. I really like looking at the flame...cozy! BTW...35-J Sightseer.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #33

FWIW, I plan on rigging a 300 watt, 12V heater in the rear of my Rialta as a defroster and for those nights when it's just chilly enough to need something, but not enough to fire up the propane furnace. But I'm going to have to run special wiring for it, 25 amps is too much for a socket.

--Dave
Dave Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rickey View Post
FWIW, I plan on rigging a 300 watt, 12V heater in the rear of my Rialta as a defroster and for those nights when it's just chilly enough to need something, but not enough to fire up the propane furnace. But I'm going to have to run special wiring for it, 25 amps is too much for a socket.

--Dave
HI Dave,
I came across your old post about a 12v heater, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient small space heater for my 2004 Beaver. How did the 12v heater work, is it better than a 110V? I'm thinking about boondocking, we have 8 solar panels so we have some power to work with. any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Brian Kelley, Denver, CO
bkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I just got a Duraflame DFS-450. It's a 1500W with fake fire place...looks nice. However, all the reviews stated it was very effective, and I've found that today, when my coach was 54 degress inside, I turned it on and it took almost 4 hrs. to get to 70. It was about 50 outside. I really don't mind that it takes awhile, if I need heat in a hurry, I'll just fire uo the furnace, then let the little one maintain temp. I really like looking at the flame...cozy! BTW...35-J Sightseer.

... and an oil filled radiant heater would take a lot longer.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #36

Oil filled work great. In a large trailer, 5th wheel or coach of course you may need more than one. They are quiet and provide even heat. I have a Vornado portable 1500 watt fan forced heater. It is also quiet. I extended the cord so it reaches to just behind the outside electric cover. That way I can run a separate extension cord to the 110 outlet and not have to unplug the heater to run the microwave or whatever.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelley View Post
HI Dave,
I came across your old post about a 12v heater, I'm trying to figure out the most efficient small space heater for my 2004 Beaver. How did the 12v heater work, is it better than a 110V? I'm thinking about boondocking, we have 8 solar panels so we have some power to work with. any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Brian Kelley, Denver, CO
It didn't work very well, it simply didn't put out enough heat to matter in that large a space. In terms of heat per watt it was fine, just not enough watts. I wound up just eating the cost of the propane, but I only had 2 panels (470W). With 8 panels you might be able to make it work with solar, although a mini-split heat pump would be more efficient (roughly 4 times as many BTU per watt).

My next gen plans will use a mini-split, with a diesel fired hydronic heater for backup.
Dave Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #38

Back on the original topic. We used the electric coil, oscillating, fan forced heater I used to have under my desk at work in the trailer. Standard 3 temp options. On medium, it keeps the trailer comfy at down to near freezing. Heater is kept in the kitchen area of the trailer and is out in the middle of the floor overnight. Our trailer has heat pads under the tanks that I will turn on if needed.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I have used cube heater for years running all day and night if needed. I think one would know even at night if you kick one over, but yes we are careful. At much below freezing around the clock the furnace comes on for the bay heat. For those interested in electric heat without the muss and fuss there is an add on available for the gas furnace so you get forced air and no heaters setting around, but it's not cheap and could be ammertised over several years plus propane savings might make it a good add on.

LEN
Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We use two Lasko towers.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use cube heaters as well both Ceramic and standard.

They have tip over sensors (Well most of 'em do, I'm not sure about one) and over temp protection devices (Those I'm sure of, called Thermal Fuses and Breakers) so I'm not worried about the heaters.

What worries me is the QUICK BOX (tm) outelts.. the wires are layed in a channel and then "Punched down" into a metal "V" shaped slot that slices through the insulation and into the 14ga wire... Very poor contact due to small contact area. Gets HOT at high current. Hot wire smell.. NOT GOOD.

I installed a pair of 15/20 amp outlets (They have "T" shaped neutrals) fed with 12GA bent around the screw and well tightened, each outlet has a breaker that feeds it, and only it.. Not one hot wire since. (Save for the one in the heater that's supposed to get hot).
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Pelonis tower, 2 settings with 2 settings for oscillating. keeps front 2/3s toasty to low 30s. Keep furnace at 67 so that temps in mid 20s will turn furnace on and heat basement. Has worked great even Ito mid teens that we've had.
Is it not a requirement that all space heaters be manufactured with tip over safety my cats accidentally tipped mine frolicking in the night. Heat was off but fan kept running. Having a heatwave, 49d. Have to turn it down as I am beginning to roast

PS Tower sits in front of dog house. Low profile so I can read front curtains or so in captains chairs for the view
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote