Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Electric steps

My automatic electric steps just started making a grinding noise. Pulled motor and the problem is with the 9 tooth spur/pinion gear. Looks like MFR's don't want this to be a simple gear change and would rather sell you a complete motor assy. Anyone find a source for these gears anywhere instead of replacing the entire motor?

Thank you..
Louie..
Louie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Louie ; going to need a bunch of info about your coach( year, make and model ) and step manufacturer in order to be of any help .

Please remember we're not there beside you; seeing what your seeing; you have to tell us everything.

Please complete your " About Me " section or set up a signature line.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

If your steps are Kwikee (most common), you should be able to buy separate parts including gears, gear boxes, linkages, etc.

Can you at least give us the make and model of your steps?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have dealt with that same failure. I learned real quick to allow the steps to extend and stop motion before stepping on them. I had no luck finding the gear. Good Luck with your search.
Chuck
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:27 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yeah, now that I think about it some more, the gear I mentioned I believe was an older Lippert product that I've seen sold separately.

I think I know exactly what the 9-tooth gear you're referring to is now and you're right, it's not available as a separate part.

If my guess is correct, you have Kwikee steps and the motor looks like the one in the image I attached below (or similar) and the gear you're referring to is the one circled? If so, it is correct that the gear itself can't be purchased separately.

However, if you read through the following older thread there are several Ford power window motors that either fit perfectly or can be modified slightly to fit Kwikee steps (again, this is assuming that you do have Kwikee steps). A Kwikee motor can be almost $200 depending on the steps model. However, the Ford power window motors can be purchased for about $30 to $60.

Kwikee step motor (page 2)

One post points to this motor as being an exact fit for his application: through Amazon, ACI 83094 Power Window Motor

But there are several other window motors listed in the thread that are either an exact fit or can be modified slightly to fit a Kwikee steps application.

First image is a Kwikee motor that can sell for up to $200 and the second image is a Ford power window motor that has been reported fitting some Kwikee applications without any modification that can be purchased through Amazon for $44.70
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kwikee motor.png
Views:	8
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	319801   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACI 83094.png
Views:	5
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	319802  

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Yeah, now that I think about it some more, the gear I mentioned I believe was an older Lippert product that I've seen sold separately.

I think I know exactly what the 9-tooth gear you're referring to is now and you're right, it's not available as a separate part.

If my guess is correct, you have Kwikee steps and the motor looks like the one in the image I attached below (or similar) and the gear you're referring to is the one circled? If so, it is correct that the gear itself can't be purchased separately.

However, if you read through the following older thread there are several Ford power window motors that either fit perfectly or can be modified slightly to fit Kwikee steps (again, this is assuming that you do have Kwikee steps). A Kwikee motor can be almost $200 depending on the steps model. However, the Ford power window motors can be purchased for about $30 to $60.

Kwikee step motor (page 2)

One post points to this motor as being an exact fit for his application: through Amazon, ACI 83094 Power Window Motor

But there are several other window motors listed in the thread that are either an exact fit or can be modified slightly to fit a Kwikee steps application.

First image is a Kwikee motor that can sell for up to $200 and the second image is a Ford power window motor that has been reported fitting some Kwikee applications without any modification that can be purchased through Amazon for $44.70

I was able to purchase the gear from American Equipment for $8.93. I found them online. I am currently traveling and am not able to look them up.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #7

Theroc- you are exactly correct.
My steps are Kwikee p/n 902509000 and look exactly as pictured in your reply. I will search American Equipment next. Any advice is appreciated- I will also look into the ford window motor- thx for the leads.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #8

OK- after all help provided from you fine folks I was able to locate the gear from AM Equipment in Oregon. $8.93.
Thanks to all that provided input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	319831  
Old 03-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

Having a couple of Fords around I keep a set of the plastic "rollers" on my shelf. They are what tears up in Ford (Kwikkee) power window motors. I've replaced a LOT of them over the years. I don't I've ever seen but one stripped gear in one, the rollers always give first.

My Kwikkee motor had suffered a bit of water intrusion (it was rusty). It ran, but slowly and just made a sad crunching noise. As soon as I went under the coach I knew what it was and grabbed a spare power window motor for my 1995 F150 (driver's side if I recall-there are "left" and "right" motor assemblies) and slapped it on. Steps fixed.

To repair your motor take it off and remove the screws holding the plate around the gear. Remove it and you should see some yellowish grease and a bunch of plastic crumbs that used to be the rollers. Take the center gear out and clean all the bits out. Put the new rollers in and wrestle the center gear back in. It will be tight and require some wiggling, maybe even a retry or two. Add grease. I think the factory uses white lithium but I use dielectric silicone. Probably doesn't matter. Put the cover back on and there you are. Make sure you are CLEAR of the steps before you reconnect power. Just in case.

The rollers can be found in the "Help!" packaged parts of your local auto parts stores. They run like eight dollars last I had to buy some. I prefer to stock up ahead of time though like on ebay. These are some, most are white colored though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3pc-Pow....c101196.m2219
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #10

Kwikee Service Training Manual for all models.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(From what I read?) most are a car window motor, so if lucky, lay your on parts counter and see if store can match it? Have seen some as low as $59? Now, hope the gear you need in the assembly they sell vs (??) May take some internet search for more detail, if needed? I have saved notes, just not handy right now
Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #12

RV KwiKee Power Steps: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

To the OP:
There's a fantastic video on YT that covers Kwikee Power Steps. Great maintenance tips, troubleshooting, safety tips and parts list. This video will really help anyone that owns KwiKee Power Steps.

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric steps, steps