Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Electric steps - HELP PLEASE?

I own a 2011 Newmar Bay Star class A. I have been fighting with my electric Lippert Coach Steps. I have followed the troubleshooting instructions from Lippert for the coach wire harness. RED always HOT, BROWN grounded with door open & open circuit with door closed, YELLOW is HOT with ignition ON only, & WHITE is HOT with the step power switch ON only.

I believe my LIPPERT control module is working. I unplugged the step motor & tested the 2 wire harness from the control module. I turned the step power switch ON & using a volt meter on the 2 wires from the control module. I get 12V when I open the door and -12V when I close the door.

I removed the motor and tested it on a separate 12V battery. It spins one direction and when I reversed polarity, it spins in the opposite direction.

My dilemma: with it all connected, I open the door and the steps fully extend, but the motor seems to be not dropping the current & the wires are quickly getting VERY HOT. Nothing happens when I close the door. What tells the control module to stop sending voltage when the steps are fully extended? Is the motor supposed to drop the current when it detects fully extended position and fully retracted position?

I tried bypassing the control module, with the motor installed. When I apply 12V the steps fully extend, but the motor keeps pulling current and the jumper wires get VERY HOT. Same thing happens when I reversed polarity.

Do I just need to replace the step motor, or is the control module supposed to drop the current?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, support, or input!
ChrisSupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #2

My understanding is the controller detects an increase in current when the steps are fully extended or fully retracted and uses that increase in current to shut off the voltage.

If you manually apply voltage to the motor you should stop supplying voltage when the step reaches its limit. The fact that your steps work when you apply voltage implies the motor and gears are good.

From your description it sounds like the controller is not detecting that increases in current so it needs to be replaced.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:48 PM   #3

My web research seems to say that the step motor has an automatic shut down function. From what I’ve read so far, that’s what stops it when fully extended/retracted, or an obstruction. I just replaced my control module with OEM, twice. The 2 wire connector does reverse polarity when door opened and closed. I’m going to try a double throw double pool reverse polarity rocker switch tomorrow, as another bypass option.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #4

Web search

Here’s what I found on ETrailer.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C955B32F-E418-4A5E-B503-BE38D7BEB446.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	350043  
Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #5

You cant trust everything you read in forums.

If you look in the Kwikee troubleshooting guide whete it talks about putting voltage directly to the motor it clearly states

"Do not leave the wires connected while testing the motor once the step has cycled either in or out.
Failure to remove the wires from the battery will burn out the motor voiding any warranty."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/steps/ccd_0001628.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjB2q-E1L30AhU3nGoFHc39Cm0QFnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2fzFxjZ5 JZrAJQ6dvAHkE-
The motor doehave any electronics in it.

Controlling your steps with a dpdt switch sounds like a kludge

You can try calling customer support, and see what they say, but front your description it sounds like you need a new controller.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #6

Looking at the post you sighted it is saying that a motor can fail in such a way that the current doesn't go up enough at the stop to trigger the controller to stop. I had not heard of that but it's certainly believable.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #7

Thank you so much for the information. It makes more sense that the control module is the culprit. I ordered a new one from Lippert on Amazon, & it didn’t reverse polarity when door opens & closes. I returned it & Lippert sent me another. The new one does reverse polarity, so I assumed it was good. After reading the link you sent, it says that it should stop sending voltage to the motor after 5 seconds! I will be checking this next!

Tags
electric, electric steps, steps