Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Electric trailer brakes 98 f53

Ok another question
1997/1998 36ft BOUNDER f53

Found what looked like a plug and play for electric brake controller. Wired work when pluged in .
Except I can't find the blue or power
Wire in back of coach.
Going from a 4 flat plug to a 7 way
I have crawled from end to end looking at the wires front to back on botgmh sided of frane ,
Thought i found them but it went to generator plug and came out all white wires [emoji19]

I had test light in hand

Some have said the builder might have stoped trailer wires around wheels and just taped them up
But no luck with that either

Did find my 4 flat plug wired going up into floor only to come back out same hole doubled
ie: one yellow went up 2 yellow came out only to go back to a single yellow 2 feet along frame (see pic)
All 4 did this except one extra green with a strip came out with them

Getting tired of searching [emoji42]
One would think if there is a plug for brake controller the wires should be someplace
[emoji57]

Looking for some knologe on this beast

Thanks
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Chevelle427-

iRV2 user "Subford" is the king of pre-2000 F-53 knowledge.

That said, follow the 4-wire wiring forward. You're looking for two Ford connectors. They are usually inside the left-hand frame rail where the Ford frame ends. One of those connectors should have the trailer electric brake wire in it.

The six-pin trailer electric brake connector under the dash is gray, with red, white, green, blue and brown wires. By your pictures it looks as if you have found a different six-pin connector- not the trailer electric brake connector.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

The connector I found has

Red
Green
Blue
White
Brown
Wires .
Not seeing much else in this cluster

Update
Think I might (we gf was under coach with me in the dark sandy yuk [emoji127] )
found the plug at the end of Ford frame
However it is between the frame and GAS tank (yaaaa)
Tomorrow I'll test the blue wire I found in a cluster of about 25 and see if it goes hot when controller is activated.

Going to try to fish the plug out .Would like to have it in my hand to see where the other 23 plus wires go to
Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 AM   #4

Chevelle427-

It sounds as if you have the correct connector under the dash.

It also sounds as if you've found the two connectors under the rear of the coach. The blue wire comes out of the pigtail plugged into the larger connector, pin 12.

Here's a link to a post I made with the diagrams for both connectors, as attached PDF files. The picture in the post above mine on that thread shows the two connectors (under another person's coach). Ford provides a pigtail that plugs into each connector. Hopefully, Fleetwood left the unused wires (including the blue one) folded back onto the bundle and taped up, such that you can undo the pigtail and splice onto the blue wire.

Our former coach, built on an E-450 chassis, had similar connectors, stuck in between the gas and grey water tanks. I found it easier to buy pigtails with matching connectors and run new wires to the rear, rather than work in the tight space.

Your perseverance will be rewarded with a "stock" wiring setup. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Wiring Diagram

Just an FYI -

I'd posted a full copy of the wiring diagram and schematics for 1999 Pace Arrow Vision (also Fleetwood/F53 Chassis) on the 1999 Pace Arrow Vision Tail light thread. The other post was correct about the wire harness being run inside the left chassis frame to the back of the coach. There should be two Chassis builder (Ford) connectors towards the front of the spare tire.

PArrowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #6

Here's a link to the thread that Bill ("PArrowV") mentioned in his post above.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Update
Looks like I can't get to the wiring harness plug at the truck frame and builder add-on part.
Reason
My wires i need run on the inside frame rail by gas tank and frame then the builder added therr frame extension
And boxed all this in
Now the harness plug is in the middle of the two frames
Can't pull it either way (do to looks like grounds i can see with a light but not touch) to get my hands on the plug .
and the blue wire in my opinion is toooo small gauged (looks to be 16 or 18 ga. At back of frame and maybe 12 at the oem Ford plug at dash.
I'm thinking I want 10 or 12 gauge to run 4 brakes (2 axle trailer)

Thinking of just running a new 10 or 12 ga blue wire to the back , just skip the oem blue all together

This has turned out to be a headache maker.
Watched alot of YouTube and been reading all the help from others here and there

When I get this fig out I'll update this
Thanks for the help , links , and suggestion.
Please keep them coming.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

Your idea is sound- a hybrid solution. Use the pigtail up front for the controller, except for the blue wire. Run your own blue wire from the controller to the hitch connector.

On our 2007 chassis, Ford's wiring is 12 AWG, on both the input (red) to the under-dash controller and the unreachable blue wire to the rear. If you're concerned about voltage loss on the run from under-dash controller to the brake unit on the trailer, by all means run 10 AWG instead. You may want to see what it takes to get a wire that size under the screw on the inside of the hitch connector. The fuse that feeds the under-dash controller is 30A.

Thanks for the update.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Done

After a few days under this mh looking for that elusive blue wire and plug.

Found a blue wire but not liking the size 16 or 18 awg.
And the plug being trapped between the truck frame ,boxed mh frame, and gas tank ..
Would not pull out either way .

So only way to get to that wire harness plug is drop gas tank .
(Not happening)
So my solution!
Half plug n play half hard wire it
Bought 50 foot 12x2 wire take it frount to back called it a day.

So the long of it, for anyone looking for that blue trailer wire just look in the harness in frount of gas tank. If you find and like the size of the blue wire
Use it
If not don't wast more time with it just hard wire it .
Thanks to everyone that helped with this
Time to move on to next project ...yaaaaa

Thanks for the idea about 10 and 12 awg wire .

Tags
brake, brakes, electric, f53, trailer