Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #1

Electrical Power Issues

Hello to all,
I have good shore power to our DRV 44' Cincinati coach. Batteries have a good charge and make the small lights inside work. I have checked the small juction box for power in the compartment that houses the 50 amp shore power reel and plug (all good there). I have checked all of the fuses and the breakers. There isn't any pwer to the breakers. I have tested the plug for the Inverter and it doesn't have any power either. That is about as far as my knowlege will take me. Any words of wisdom? Thank you all,
Bigkook-
bigkook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #2

Do you have power running your generator
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If I understand correctly, you are plugged to shore power and have 120v at least as far as the cord reel, but not as for as the breaker panel. Does your DRV have a onboard generator and an auto-transfer switch? Perhaps it isn't switching. Or the shore cord is disconnected somewhere after the cord reel.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2. Sorry to hear of your issue.

So you have 120V/240V at the pedestal/outlet, and you're measuring this at the shore power cord reel or the Transfer Switch... on the input side or output side, or both? If you don't have it on the output side (that feeds your inverter and breaker box) you likely have a stuck transfer switch or the contacts are failing.

Do you have power if you run your generator?
Old 06-28-2022, 11:46 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The power comes INTO panel on the 50a double MAIN BREAKER, and then OUT thru the other breakers to devices. Do you have power to the SCREW/WIRES on the 50a? If so, then cycle 50a breaker OFF then ON to reset. If not, shoreline PLUG/ RECEPTACLE ISSUE, or TRANSFER SWITCH issue or wiring (rodent damage?) issue?

INVERTER= NORMALLY OFF when plugged in, it provides 120vac to (selected receptacles/ devices) from Battery power. MIGHT have to flip/push power switch to turn INVERTER=ON, but test it while shoreline= unplugged, and turn off after test, or it will run batteries down. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:03 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Above are all good ideas. A missing option that may cause troubles is if you have an EMS (electrical management system) sometimes called a surge protector between the cable reel and the transfer switch? If so it may have tripped because of bad shore power and possibly has a damaged board. Easily fixed. There may be an override or reset button for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #7

Electrical issues

Thank you all for your repsponce to our problems. I am wandering around looking for the surge protector on my choach. I will check utube but if anyone knows would you please let us know. You are all great folkes ..... thanks again. We hope to be up and running soon.
Bigkook-
Old 06-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #8

Electrical issues

We were able to find the surge protector and remove it. It was behind the central vac system down below and covered with the ducting for the electric heating system. We ordered a new surge protector and should have it tomorrow.
Thank you all very much!
Kent & Laura
Old 06-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a shoreline power REEL, you have verified both legs have power leaving the reel? L1-L2= 240v? I read those reels/ brushes can cause issues? If power OK leaving reel, then most likely suspect is the 50a TRANSFER SWITCH, but if you have a CONTROL CENTER where you select 15a, 30a, 50a, make sure properly set? Good Luck.

Tags
electric, electrical, power