Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Electrical problem

Hi Everyone,
Need some help on an electrical problem on my 2007 Gulfstream BTcrusier,22'.
I went to exercise the generator today and found that the two outlets on the passenger side of the coach do not work. One is overhead in the middle the other is forward in the TV compartment.
All of the outlets on the drivers side work, and all of the other electrical things seem to work.
One plug has a reset button but it will not reset the TV outlet does not have a reset.
There was no circuit breaker tripped but I turned every one on and off anyway to no effect.
I checked every fuse and they all look ok.
Anyone got any ideas as to what to do next?
Also, am I correct in thinking that the fuses only effect the 12 volt system and not the 110? I ask because none of the circuitbreakers shut off the overhead lights so I assume they went to battery power when I hit the circuit breaker?
The manuals are of little help.
Thanks
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a small inverter some where in a compartment for your TV outlet, some inverters have a ground fault type outlet that is a GFI type.
You have to reset the GFI on inverter.
I have a 600 type inverter for two outlets TV & Computer outlet need pass. seat.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the fuses are for 12v only. If your overhead lights went off whn a breaker was switched, it's because you turned off power to the converter/charger and apparently your battery was dead or switched offline.

The GFCI that won't reset is the clue. It won't reset if there is no power in the circuit. If i is fed from an inverter, that's probably where the problem lies. Maybe a breaker or reset on the inverter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
It also wont reset if it still detects a Ground Fault.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second the inverter suggestion.. Often the TV outlets are powered by an Inverter... And there may be an outlet inside the coach so powered as well.

Many small inverters have a circuit breaker ON THE INVERTER, this will block power to those outlets if tripped... Alas, without eyes on I can't say much more than that.

Broken wires are also possible.. Rare but possible.

Screw loose works too.. Check all the screws in the main breaker box.. (And in any sub panels as well) NOTE: Do not have shore power plugged in or generator on when checking screws in this box.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It also wont reset if it still detects a Ground Fault.
If there is a continuous ground fault, it usually resets ok but immediately trips again. You hear it click on and then click off again. That's different than not resetting at all, where there is no click.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It could also be a faulty GFI receptacle. If you have a meter, remove the GFI receptacle and test if you have voltage at the receptacle. If you do, you have a faulty GFI.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If there is a continuous ground fault, it usually resets ok but immediately trips again. You hear it click on and then click off again. That's different than not resetting at all, where there is no click.
Thats true, but neither of us have eyes (ears) on, so just bringing it up for the OP to consider...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #9

A groundfault will not reset if there is no power to the plug.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you check the bath room GFI receptacle?

Mike