Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2023, 04:55 PM   #1

Electrical Question

I am installing the Demco Towed Vehicle Battery Charge Wire on my tow vehicle. After connecting the wire to my bumper 7-wire receptacle I tested the continuity from the receptacle to the end of the charge wire—No connectivity. This charge wire has a diode.

My question: Should I have connectivity through the diode? If not, how do I test the wiring?
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 04:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on what meter lead goes where .One way will show open and the other way there will be some resistance but all is OK because you are reading through the diode.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #3

I attached one end of my Fluke multimeter to the center 7-wire receptacle at the bumper and the other end at the charge wire fuse holder just past the diode. I have the Fluke meter was set to ohms and the meter showed nothing—telling me there was no connectivity.

I tested from the receptacle to the input side of the diode and had connectivity.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reverse the leads. A diode is a one way device and will show an open circuit one way
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:42 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A diode will generally have a LOW value with one polarity, and VERY HIGH value with reverse polarity.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:28 AM   #6

As mentioned reverse the leads, also put the fluke meter in ohms mode, not continuity mode to get a detailed resistance reading.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:47 PM   #7

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Today I tried it again while reversing the Fluke probes.

With the positive probe on the output side of the diode my Fluke showed no reading. With the negative probe on the output side of the diode my Fluke registered 5850 ohms, confirming the diode is working properly and the charging wire should keep my toad battery charged as designed. See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	386227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	386228  

Old 02-11-2023, 05:40 PM   #8

I had my toad wired bu etrailer. They used the power pin in the 7 pin & a charging module to the toad battery. On a long trip the toad battery died. I had to run a large separate direct wire to charge the toad battery. Point - using the 7 pin power wire maybe inadequate depending on motorhome wire size and toad power consumption
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I am installing the Demco Towed Vehicle Battery Charge Wire on my tow vehicle. After connecting the wire to my bumper 7-wire receptacle I tested the continuity from the receptacle to the end of the charge wire—No connectivity. This charge wire has a diode.

My question: Should I have connectivity through the diode? If not, how do I test the wiring?
That depends on the meter you are using and the polarity of your connections. Some multimeters don't have a high enough output voltage to turn on the diode and it will always read open. It will always read open if you reverse bias the diode by applying the meter positive wire to the cathode and the negative wire to the anode. Try reversing your connections and or using a different ohm range.

Put your red wire on the anode side and the negative wire on the cathode side of the wire to test continuity.

Be aware that a diode in the circuit will reduce the voltage applied to the towed vehicle by about 0.7 volts which along with the voltage drop in the wiring may cause issues with properly charging the battery.

If the meter has a diode test function, use that setting to test continuity.

You could also apply voltage to the vehicle end and verify you see voltage at the trailer plug to verify the continuity somewhat.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:22 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope your large, separate CHARGE wire is fused ON BOTH ENDS, and relay controlled
Old 02-15-2023, 05:46 AM   #11

Why would it need a relay?
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #12

The way I confirmed my toad charger was working was by comparing toad battery voltage before and after I connected it and started up the coach.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 01:16 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like The purpose of diode is to prevent coach/ TOW chassis accessories from draining TOAD Battery? (I.e Charge can ONLY flow INTO TOAD) The purpose of the IGN controlled RELAY is to disconnect/ Prevent TOAD from draining CHASSIS BATTERY and leaving you stranded and unable to start the TOW Vehicle; i.e. IGN=OFF= Charge connection= OFF.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Sounds like The purpose of diode is to prevent coach/ TOW chassis accessories from draining TOAD Battery? (I.e Charge can ONLY flow INTO TOAD) The purpose of the IGN controlled RELAY is to disconnect/ Prevent TOAD from draining CHASSIS BATTERY and leaving you stranded and unable to start the TOW Vehicle; i.e. IGN=OFF= Charge connection= OFF.
The problem with the diode is it will decrease the voltage being applied to the toad battery by about 0.7 volts. That diode voltage drop along with the voltage drop in small wiring is unlikely to fully charge the toad battery. It will probably help prevent the toad battery from being discharged by its loads, but I wouldn't count on it to charge the battery properly.

If 14 gauge wiring is used, the resistance is about 0.0253 ohms per 10 feet. That means that 20 feet of 14 gauge wire with 10 amps flowing through would drop the voltage another 0.76 volts. Now with a diode you have dropped the voltage by about 1.5 volts, so in reality, you will never see the 10 amp charge rate. And we haven't even considered any ground circuit voltage losses.

Smaller gauge wiring would help the situation. 10 gauge wiring is about 0.00989 ohms per 10 ft., so 20 feet of wire would only drop about 0.2 volts with 10 amps of current.

Tags
electric, electrical