Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #1

I am building a home and want to put an external 30 AMP Power plug so I can plug the RV in while it is in the driveway.

My electrician asked me what voltage I need 110v or 220v. I looked thru my Adventurer owners manual and can't seem to find it a reference.

Anyone know the answer?
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #2

I am building a home and want to put an external 30 AMP Power plug so I can plug the RV in while it is in the driveway.

My electrician asked me what voltage I need 110v or 220v. I looked thru my Adventurer owners manual and can't seem to find it a reference.

Anyone know the answer?
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #3

RV's are powered by 110-120 VAC. Your rig needs a 30 amp circuit added to your 120 VAC panel.

I'm adding one to my house after the spring thaw. Right now there is 18" of snow between my driveway and the electrical panel around the corner of the garage.

Enjoy!

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Matt,glad Paul could answer your question....we've got to get you posting more!!

See you're from Mars,PA...there are many western PA folks here,my wife's from Saxonburg,Joe-K is in Butler and TomN's in and out of Sarver.
We'd all love to here what kind of rig you're planning on parking there in Mars and also hear more about your travels.
Lots of folks here wanting to exchange ideas and questions and answers.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Matt

You might show the following to your electrician. It may be a little elementary for him in some areas, but will make it very clear what you need, and what the plug should be. For instance, it is NOT the same plug as a 30amp clothes dryer. And it is important that the polarity be correct.

Note: applies to following:
© Copyright 2002, 2003 Steve Das

125 Volt, 30 Amp AC Wiring

30 amp RV service can deliver approximately 3,750 watts (125 volts X 30 amps) to the RV. The 30 amp RV receptacle is a NEMA TT-30R. The receptacle is usually marked "Travel Trailer Use Only". The matching plug is a NEMA TT-30P. The receptacle is wired with three wires from the breaker panel and requires a single, dedicated 30 amp breaker. The three wires are one 125V (black), a ground (usually bare or green) and a neutral (white). The terminals on the back of the receptacle will be marked with G (and perhaps a green screw), W (and perhaps a silver screw) and maybe B (and perhaps a brass screw) but in many cases, the last terminal is not marked. The bare/green ground wire goes to the screw that attaches to the metal frame of the socket marked 'G'. The neutral goes to the side marked 'W' for white and the black hot wire goes to the remaining screw as shown. Before using the outlet, make sure you check the polarity with a tester.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

If I was building a home I would ask for a 50 amp service for my RV. Let's face it, one day you might get something bigger and that 30 amp will just be under rated for you.

Have your electrician put the 50A connector outside and buy yourself the 30A - 50A adapter plug. Most people will buy bigger and better RV's as they "move up" and 50A is the bigger one. This is a sound choice as you'll have room to expand.

This is what I did when I refinished the downstairs. The minimal cost difference now is well worth it! Good luck to you.

460 EFI C6 Transmission
TruckMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Bill N.Y. but would recommend having the electrician only wire one of the two hot legs to a 30 amp circuit breaker. This way you have the correct overcurrent protection and will not risk overheating the power cord on the RV if you had too many appliances turned on at once. If and when you go to a coach with 50 amp service then have the electrician swap out the single 30 amp circuit breaker for a two pole 50 amp and wire in both hot legs and you will be good to go for 50 amp service.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #8

Don't forget to make sure the electrician provides wire good for 50 amps, that way tou will not have to replace the wire.
Just Ramblin On is offline   Reply With Quote