Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #1

Electrical Safety Read

I ordered this book from Amazon and just finished reading it. Very informative and an easy read to understand RV electrical and pretty much electrical in general. I enjoyed reading it and it was put across for easy understanding.
RV Electrical Safety, by, J. Michael Sokol. NO-SHOCK-ZONE Publication

I have a better understand of electricity now and in particular to RV's.
Good reference book.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

I'm happy you self-educated. 120VAC electricity can kill, DC electricity usually takes 40V.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

FYI the safety regulations and electrical code thinks that anything operating at or below 50V DC is safe... hence the telephone company standard central office voltage of -48 volts, which was first picked as a standard voltage sometime around 1900....

Positive ground was selected for use because it prevents electrochemical reactions from destroying buried copper cables and rendering them useless if they happen to get wet. Negative voltage also protects against sulfation on battery terminals. Many automobiles used to be positive ground for the same reason... I don't know when they switched, my friend's 1928 Packard is 6 volts positive ground...

The voltage in a central office is sourced from a large battery bank with 24 cells in series... usually 2-volt Exide lead-calcium cells... 25-40 years is the average life of a cell before rebuilding is necessary...

I was given a tour of a central office in northeast Los Angeles back around 1980-81 and I remember seeing a label on the glass jugs (with walls about an inch thick!) with a manufacture date in 1935 (the days of 4 digit phone numbers!), and a handwritten rebuild date of 1971... I would not be surprised if the same cells are still in service in that central office, but with another rebuild sometime around 1995-2000, and maybe another one coming up...

Mike...

...who still remembers the battery room and generator room at NASA-JPL in Pasadena CA.... where I worked for 6 years... There was enough battery to run a huge inverter producing 240v AC 3-phase at 500 amps continuous... and for long enough to keep all of the computer systems in the Space Flight Operations Facility running until the "prime" generator could spin up and take the load...

They had three separate diesel generators, labeled "X", "Y" and "Z"... The "prime" and "backup" duty rotated across the three... The "prime" was kept in the "ready to go" mode with a block heater and low pressure oil pump to keep the bearings floating... The generator plant had to go from idle (not rotating) to full load in under 5 minutes... 16 cylinder marine diesels with a separate head per cylinder... 9 inch bore, 9.5 inch stroke, operational speed was 360 RPM, redline was 600 RPM... the direct-coupled generator rotor windings would swell as the speed went up, and if too fast they would rub the stator... the engines were started on pure diesel, once warmed up ran on 50% diesel and 50% natural gas... on-site storage had 30 days of both diesel and CNG. Each one was run for 30 minutes per week under load...
Old 05-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Taking the time to pick up a book and educate yourself on a subject you are interested in is always a good thing, especially if you understand the safety side of it.

I worked in mining industry and we used high voltage systems ranging from 240 to 13,800, this was on the transformed side, incoming voltage was higher. I was involved in laying out the requirements (long term needs) and worked with the electrical superintendent during the installations.

I was also involved in the permitting process for a new mining operation and had to work with the local utility for the design and routing of the 27 mile transmission line and also negotiating the long term contracts. Never had done this before and no one in the company had any experience with this so I had to do lots of research. They were trying to play hard ball on the construction costs and wanted to include a 15% contingency fee (technically called CAC, cost in aide of construction) as part of the cost but we were paying for everything anyway so I argued all the way to the head of state agency against it and won the concession. They also did not want us to own the setdown transformers at the mine because then we could buy power from the grid after a set period of time, saving us a lot of money and giving us negotiating power. I was on a conference call with the top dogs of the utility and got one of them so made they slammed the phone down when they hung up.

I did have some knowledge of house wiring but when I built a new house and decided to do my own wiring I had to sit down and study all the codes, source all the supplies and install the system. At first when I went to purchase the permits the electrical inspector was skeptical, but when he did the rough-in inspection he realized I'd done my homework and didn't take any short cuts. The rest of the inspection and final inspection went without a hitch.

Ah good times but I digress.

I learned to have a healthy respect for electricity since you can't see, smell, or hear it but you can sure as heck feel it for a very little while.

So taking the time to learn a craft is beneficial, even for us shade tree electricians.

I applaud you, keep learning!!! Just be safe.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Mike is a great resource for the RV community, especially regarding electrical safety.
He has a free newsletter and a YouTube channel. Hes also featured on many other YouTube interviews.
His No Shock Zone newsletter archives are here:
https://www.rvtravel.com/category/rv...ty-newsletter/

More articles and videos are on his site:
https://rvelectricity.com/

For those not familiar with the dangers of stray voltage and how to perform a hot skin test, I highly recommend taking the time to read his articles on the topic to protect you and your families against potentially lethal shocks:
https://rvelectricity.com/2018/09/24...stray-voltage/
Old 05-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #6

anothermike, positive ground was used in the automotive industry to prevent frame degradation. My 1932 Chevrolet Confederate BA is 6V positive ground, my 1952 Harry Ferguson tractor is 6V positive ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:59 AM   #7

Mike Sokol posts here from time to time. He's also a musician, sound engineer and conservatory instructor.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #8

Thanks guys and thanks for the above links. I will be a follower of Mike Sokol from now on.
Before I read his book, I was lost when it came to electricity and did NOT really have an interest in learning much about it, alittle but not much.
Now I want to learn more. Here is one thing I took away from his book right away. DO NOT touch the pedestal while plugging in. Put your other hand in your pocket. WOW!!! Just thinking about that process, it would be so easy to do just that. I even told my Honey right away so she knows, NOT to do that, doubt she will anyways, lol, but she might.
Ok great. Again, you guys are " The Greatest "
I tip my hat to you. Have a Great Weekend.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, safety