Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Electrical system

Monaco Dynasty Owners! Do you find it necessary to turn off the chassis battery cut off switch, the house battery cut off switch and the engine bay start switch when not plugged in or on generator power. If I don't do this, within 4-5 days, my batteries go down to the point of not being able to start the coach and interior lights very dim. Looking to hear others experiences.
2008MDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #2

I don't own a Monaco but they put in disconnect switches for a reason. There are parasitic loads that will drain the batteries when sitting and no shore power. 4-5 days seems like a pretty short time frame if the batteries are good but I don't know what type of loads your Monaco is placing on the batteries.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have the problem, my coach came with an 85 watt solar panel and controller and PO installed 2 more 125 watt panels. This keeps my batteries up and allows extended boondocking if we monitor power consumption.

But I do know that there is parasitic draw so using the batteries disconnects is the only way to prevent battery drain.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008MDY View Post
Monaco Dynasty Owners! Do you find it necessary to turn off the chassis battery cut off switch, the house battery cut off switch and the engine bay start switch when not plugged in or on generator power. If I don't do this, within 4-5 days, my batteries go down to the point of not being able to start the coach and interior lights very dim. Looking to hear others experiences.

I have found that most of the so called cutoff switches installed in rvs merely reduce electrical draw and not completely eliminate it. We installed (2) heavy duty Perko switches, one for the start batteries and one for the house batteries, which do what oem switches "should" do which is basically kill all chances of parasitic drain by anonymous devices. We had them mounted inside the battery compartment next to each respective battery bank.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Are these Perko switches easy to install? How expensive? The dealer installed two brand new batteries at time of purchase nine months ago. I've since installed two 1260 CCA batteries from Freightliner. Coach kept in shade most times so oem solar panel not helpful. Will follow-up on suggestions and thank you all!
2008MDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
My manual says that I can park myMH for 72 hrs without shore power and batteries disconnected. Things like CO detector, propane detector, steps are still powered.

Tags
electric, electrical