Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Emergency Alert Radio

We are interested in purchasing an Emergency Alert Radio for our MH. after reviewing remarks on many many makes and models I am more confused and would like some suggestions on what does work. incidenetly, my CB radio has the weather channel as does the MH, but I do not want to listen to weather reports from New York to Alaska, all I want is an alert to go off when something is happening. and is there one that I do not have to program for every state / county I am traveling through ? thanx foryour input. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Here's the one I use:

Oregon Scientific Public Alert Emergency Portable Weather Radio with SAME Model WR601

FWIW, I don't know of any that automatically set the SAME code. The code are by county and I usually set my radio up to receive the county I am in along with the counties west and/or south of my location so I get notified of approaching storms.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I got mine from radio shack. It also gives warnings by county. When properly set up there is no output until a warning occurs. It is ac/dc.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is the one I have.

It comes preprogrammed with all states and counties.

Much easier than inputting codes.
Attached Images

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #5

I see it is a Radio Shack, what is the model. when you say it is preprogrammed, does it automatically detect the area you are in or do you have to tell it ? has it activated and if so did it meet your needs. thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many brands and models that are all very good.. From time to time various stores have very attractive deals on them..

What I would recommend is look for the features you want and forget brand names

For example.. I wanted a unit that was portable, and if possible pocket size (Big pocket) battery operated with an external power in jack so I could run it off either internal cells or the house battery with a DC/DC converter and cord. and which had SAME technology (most all do these days)

This ruled out all the "Desktop" models since they like 120vac But I found one at Radio Shack (A Midland) that works very well.

Now it's not as good a receiver as my Kenwood TS_2000 with a good quality half wave antenna (No pocket radio will EVER outperform a radio with an outside antenna) but it does fairly well and has a few features the TS-2000 lacks in a weather radio (Since the TS-2000 is NOT a weather radio.. it is a multi-band/mode Ham radio which happens to have extended receive into the weather band and beyond)

For absolute best results you need two radios (I have 4) The pocket portable for when you absolutly need it.. and a good "Base" type radio with an external antenna for those times when you are too far from the tower to hear it proprly.

I can design an antenna for you in about 10 seconds by the way.. if you have around 1.5 meters of TV twin lead lying about.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
I see it is a Radio Shack, what is the model. when you say it is preprogrammed, does it automatically detect the area you are in or do you have to tell it ? has it activated and if so did it meet your needs. thanx Len
Model: 12-521 | Catalog #: 12-521

Click on the link in my first post for more info.

NO radio automatically knows where you are. With this radio, you select the state and county.

Other radios require you look up the code for the state and county and then input the code, which can be difficult.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote