Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Emergency Tire Plugs

I saw a tire plug kit advertised for RV owners and I was wondering if I should have something like this in my onboard arsenal. Plugging a tire is a temporary fix and is something I would only do in an emergency if I need to find a safer place to wait for road service, or limp to a close by tire shop. I’m just wondering if these kits work well. Anyone ever use one?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'll be interested in the feedback you get on this thread as I have one these on board for the exact same cirrcumstances you mention.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following this thread....

I have heard that plugs are bad for the high pressure tires.
However, found this product: TireBee Truck Tire Repair Tool | Affordable Tire Sealant
But if your intent was to limp to a proper repair place, I would not think
it would cause any harm.
Especially if you have a TPMS.

I think that minor risk is better than sitting on the side of an expressway.
Might consider one.

UPDATE: Checked the manufacturers web site. All testimonials that I saw were for Motorcycles.

This is the warning from there instruction sheet:
Details: No rubber cement or lubricant is necessary. Place open bag of plugs in zip-lock bag to keep them lubricated. Do not attempt to repair puncture greater than 5/16th inch (7mm). This is considered a temporary repair on all street vehicles. "On the Wheel" repairs are classified as emergency only. The tire must not be run more than 100 miles at speeds no greater than 50 m.p.h. until the tire is dismounted, inspected, and permanently repaired or replaced.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used the Stop N Go tire plug on the Harley a couple of times. Great product! I plug and keep going. I consider it a permanent repair myself. Having said that, on the MH, I would consider it temporary only until I got to a qualified truck tire facility. In my mind theres a lot of difference between a Harley tire carring 40 psi and a 22.5" truck tire running 100 psi.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

I've plugged 6 tires in the last 30 years. NONE on a motorhome, 3 on 3 different motorcycles, 3 on semi-trucks. (driver and trailer tires)

Several times I screwed up the first attempt and it worked on the 2nd attempt. All were tubeless tires.

The semi repairs stayed in-place until the tires wore out with NO problems.
The motorcycle tires were replaced too, not immediately but pretty darn soon after the flat.

I'v used the plug type and the "tarry rope" type of plugs. I was very glad I had them to use after having the flat.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short story: Blew a tire.. Well I finally got it aired back up and inspected it.. I won't tell you what I said save for the old Nixon era phrase "Expletives Deleted". (Many of them) OFF to Wal-Mart

Layed the flat on the trunk and ask the man how much for a new tire.

HE started in with how they patch 'em instead of plugging them cause the pluggs can damage the tire (I knew that already but what I ask him was how much for a new tire)

Well. after a few rounds I finally showed him the deleted expletives and he says "YOU NEED A NEW TIRE".. Uh, yes.. I mean that's what I'd been asking for.

I will admit I actually like that kid. He did not try to Up-sell me at all and he was quite right about plugs damaging the tire, which was beyond damage when you get down to it (Read that downright dangerous)

But the bottom line is Plugs damage tires. I would not use 'em on a 100 PSI tire and on a 25 PSI I'd only use 'em long enough to get to ye old tire store.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I saw a tire plug kit advertised for RV owners and I was wondering if I should have something like this in my onboard arsenal. Plugging a tire is a temporary fix and is something I would only do in an emergency if I need to find a safer place to wait for road service, or limp to a close by tire shop. I’m just wondering if these kits work well. Anyone ever use one?

Craig

Well Sir,
I have that exact tire plug kit. I won it in a drawing while at a Motorcycle Accessory/Parts supplier center during a Christmas party. I've been plugging tires for decades. I trust them explicitly. This is basically a "Manual" version of the pneumatic ones that have been around since the beginning of time in the Gas station business. Remember the full service gas stations of yesteryear? Well, I've still got two different versions (sizes actually) of the pneumatic ones and, still have those type plugs.

But, what most folks have gone to now, especially the average guy on the side of the road, is the Sticky cord type repairs for repairable flat tires. I also have a couple of different kits of those too. The one below in the link is very close to what I carry in the coach.

http://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-50002L...Tire+plug+kits

I have used those types of plugs on many types of vehicles, including motor homes, cars and MOTORCYCLES. Those sticky rope plugs are amazing. In some cases, depending on the size of the hole, multiple plugs are required. But, I have YET to have any of those fail. It's not that I get flats on all my vehicles/motorcycles/motorhomes every ten minutes. It's just that, I've had to fix a few and, I have used both repair systems and, have had great success with both.

But, that one you're showing is a serious pain in the a$$ to use. The reason is because it's a manual version. I say manual because, in the old days, in Gas station days that is, the pneumatic versions would work way easier.
The manual one, (like what you're showing) forces the plug into the tire via a plunger, that's moved by squeezing the trigger in the gun. It's seriously hard to do it.

But, the pneumatic one, uses air pressure to force the plug into the tire. Waaaay easier. But, not every one has available air pressure to utilize that style of gun/repair.

What you do is:
1. Mark the place where the puncture is with something that remains visible like a yellow crayon etc.
2. Pull the offending puncture item out, nail, screw, etc.
3. Using the supplied course file, ream out the hole.
4. Insert the plug into the gun, per instructions
5. Insert the tip of the gun, into the reamed hole
6. Squeeze the trigger until the plunger inside the gun, forces the Plug, into the tire/hole.
7. The Head of the plug will "Umbrella" out and, at that point, you pull the gun/tube/tip back out of the tire. The head holds the plug in place while the gun is withdrawn from the tire.
8. The tire is repaired.

In the Sticky Rope repair:
1. Again, mark the area with a yellow crayon
2. Pull the offending object out
3. Ream the hole
4. Insert the sticky rope into the insertion tool
5. Insert the tool, with sticky rope, into the hole.
Sometimes a slight twist will ease the release of the sticky rope from the tool.
6. The tire is repaired.

Now, people will get their panties all in a wad here thinking that this is an un-safe repair. Well, that's most certainly to them. The logistics of motor home tires and, all that's been said and written about them, leaves "repairs" to them questionable. But, in the event of a flat tire at an RV park or, camp site due to the acquiring of an object, i.e. screw, bolt, nail, etc. while out on the road, I'd repair it in a heart beat. Then, I'd do what's needed to either get an EXPERT opinion on the repair or, make arrangements.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

I have plugged many passenger car tires and have never had a problem. They were still holding strong when the tread wore out.

I carry a kit in my motor home.

*These are not like the plugs used in the 60's. The materials and adhesives are much better*

Good luck

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I saw a tire plug kit advertised for RV owners and I was wondering if I should have something like this in my onboard arsenal. Plugging a tire is a temporary fix and is something I would only do in an emergency if I need to find a safer place to wait for road service, or limp to a close by tire shop. I’m just wondering if these kits work well. Anyone ever use one? Craig
Craig;

I had one of those kits I carried in my motorcycle for a number of years. I used it a couple of times and it worked great on MC tires. It works by forcefully injecting the little rubber mushroom shaped buttons through an approximately 3/16" nozzle. After I had it for about four years, I tried to use it with no success. What I found was the rubber buttons hardened over time and could no longer squeeze through the injector nozzle. If you do go for one, just remember to get "fresh" buttons every once in a while.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I haven't had to plug a tire. I know someone that has had to plug lots of tires. He says to use plenty of the glue, and get a new tube of glue every year as something always happens to the stuff (the tube gets punctured, it ages out and doesn't work, heat ruins it, something). I guess Murphy's Law says that bringing something to fix the problem can reduce the odds that problem will occur.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

Go to Youtube and search for a series of videos by a couple RV full-timers that go by " Gone With The Wynns". They were on a trip from Canada to Alaska when they got a flat. They were out of cell phone range and miles and miles from help. He fixed his flat with one of these plug kits and aired up the tire with a portable plug-in inflator.
A very good tutorial on how to do this when you have no experience with this kind of repair.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a Black Jack brand plug kit but haven't had to use it yet. I'm sure if I left it at home I'd need it though.
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a plug repair kit same/similar as mentioned above. Have used it a few times when offloading and a sharp rock or other causes a tire to become un-pumped. In an emergency I would use it on a RV tire as a temp fix.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I carry a plug repair kit same/similar as mentioned above. Have used it a few times when offloading and a sharp rock or other causes a tire to become un-pumped. In an emergency I would use it on a RV tire as a temp fix.

This link does not work for me. I would like to see more info on this unit.