Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #1

EMS/surge protector

I have a 34’ National Dolphin. I thinking of getting EMS/surge protector(s) 30amp & 50amp. What are your thoughts, hard wire or portable? Is there anything that will handle both 30 & 50amp in one unit?
Hbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbruce View Post
I have a 34’ National Dolphin. I thinking of getting EMS/surge protector(s) 30amp & 50amp. What are your thoughts, hard wire or portable? Is there anything that will handle both 30 & 50amp in one unit?
As far as I know all the 50A units will also protect while running on a 30A circuit.

I have had the Progressive industries EMS-50 in 2 units and we have had zero problems, they have caught many issues with pedestals that were sub-standard. We had one issue and after a phone call to support a new part was on the way to us as a replacement...even though the unit was over 10 years old.... the units come with a lifetime warranty
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

Yes, a 50A will provide protection from a 30A
circuit with the proper dog bone connector.

As for portable vs hardwired it’s personal preference. Portable is always yours, hardwired probably goes with the rig if/when it sells. Portable could grow legs and get stolen, tough for a hardwired unit. Our power bay is kinda tight to fit a hardwired unit so we opted for the portable Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X. You won’t regret either style.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #4

I can show you an itemized bill for $17,000 worth of electrical damage as a result of NOT using a surge protector!

Something to think about when you do buy one though, is this:

If you have the "hard wired" surge protector installed and it goes bad, unless you carry extra plugs and have the ability to by-pass the surge protector, you are going to be without power!

On the other hand, if the "potable" surge protecter goes bad, you can simply remove it and still use your power cord! At a cost of $400-$600 though, you want to make sure you carry a good cable and lock!
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
50a will work on 30a or 15/20a residential.

I have a PI hardwired EMS plus a watchdog surge only portable at the pedustal. Belt and suspenders protection. Advantages of both portable and hard wired.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
If you have the "hard wired" surge protector installed and it goes bad, unless you carry extra plugs and have the ability to by-pass the surge protector, you are going to be without power!
Progressive Industries makes a very simple to install bypass switch for some of their electrical management systems.

Another feature of my hardwired PI system is that it shows the hZ of the electrical input from the generator. I was able to use that to help diagnose a problem with my generator.

Whatever you choose will be an upgrade to what you have now.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
The PI hard-wired units with the remote display have a slide switch on the side of the display. That switch energizes the contactor to force it into bypass.

The PI hard-wired ones without the remote display require that you open the lid and move a jumper wire to do the same thing.

I would expect a hard-wired one to be less susceptible to environmental failures since they're not out in the weather, not hanging by the wires, not getting thrown in a box, etc.

I have the Progressive Industries hard-wired one. If I was doing it today, I would buy the Hughes hard-wired one solely because it has a Bluetooth app that can give you a lot more info, including cumulative KWH usage.

Based on a few campgrounds we've been at, I would be very hesitant to run for very long with the unit in bypass. In fact, I refused to go on even one trip until I installed the EMS (and the TPMS).

Ray
Old 01-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
Another feature of my hardwired PI system is that it shows the hZ of the electrical input from the generator. I was able to use that to help diagnose a problem with my generator.
As a point of clarification, normally an EMS does not handle generator power. To do that, the EMS must be installed between the transfer switch and the coach (if you have a transfer switch, which I do).

If you do not have a transfer switch and instead plug the shore power into the generator then it's very easy to accomplish.

I toyed with the idea of doing that for the reason noted but decided that doing so would make the EMS a single-point-of-failure for the entire electrical system.

If the contactor itself failed then I would have no shore power and no generator power. I did not care for that very remote possibility happening.

Ray
Old 01-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the 50 amp unit and it works on 50 and 30 amps. Ours is hard wired with a remote unit in the cab area to monitor the unit. This way we do not have to worry about it being stolen off the campsite pedestal.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Hughs AutoFormers have surge protectors that will cut power instantly in the event of extreme overload (lighting). Some will not protect for high and low voltage.
The cheaper unit will only protect from wiring faults.
There is something to learn about these devises.
Do you research and find one that works the way you expect it to.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

You definitely need a high-quality AC protection device, not just a surge protector! I would recommend the EMS series from Progressive Industries. They provide protection against any type of AC problems, not just surges. Some prefer the portable version and some the hardwired.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #12

Just bought the Hughes EP30 portable. Plugged into the motor home. Really like the Bluetooth to monitor amps, voltage, energy, and watts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A742E876-DA9E-4026-85E2-8C545FFB8378.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	316133   Click image for larger version

Name:	52D7B8EF-4117-445D-A75D-94D0B081F058.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	316134  

Old 01-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
I bought the Hughes EP50, but have not used it yet. (MH is in winter storage)
One thing I did learn when researching "Surge Protectors" is that they are very different in how they work. Some have a surge module that will absorb a major spike. When this happens the unit will have to be serviced.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I bought the Hughes EP50, but have not used it yet. (MH is in winter storage)
One thing I did learn when researching "Surge Protectors" is that they are very different in how they work. Some have a surge module that will absorb a major spike. When this happens the unit will have to be serviced.
Yes. This unit has a replaceable module at $22 if the spike is high or happens too many times. They will also replace the unit for free in the first 2 years.

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER – If your surge module is ‘used up’ within the first 2 years of purchase, Hughes Autoformers will mail you one FREE replacement. (One free replacement offer only within the first 2 years of purchase. Proof of purchase required, proof of used up surge module also required)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34743BE2-3379-482A-9B48-F70D2757D52B.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	316318  

Tags
ems