Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Engine Cover Bolt

I remember seeing this asked before, but couldn't find the answer.

Does anyone recognize this bolt and where to find it? It holds down the engine covers in my coach. I think the head it called a "Sidewalk Bolt" head, but the threads are so different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211119_101654.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	350169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_164545.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	350170  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #2

It looks more like a button head, captive washer, square threads. Square threads are usually used on threaded rods, either for precise movement like in CNC or high torque applications like a vice or other clamping. Not common on a bolt.

The one thread especially is pretty galled up, lots of rust. With a little work, a file, wire brush and solvent it's still usable for an engine cover. As long as the socket in the head isn't trashed.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I remember seeing this asked before, but couldn't find the answer.

Does anyone recognize this bolt and where to find it? It holds down the engine covers in my coach. I think the head it called a "Sidewalk Bolt" head, but the threads are so different.
Looks like an Acme threaded screw. I have never seen one with a head, though acme threaded rods are pretty common. You might try (ugh) Fastenal.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Looks like an Acme threaded screw. I have never seen one with a head, though acme threaded rods are pretty common. You might try (ugh) Fastenal.
x2.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #5

Might want to check Fleetwood for those my search came up empty. If it uses/mates with a body clip you may be able to replace both to use normal threads.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #6

I tried Fastenal. The counter guy said he never saw anything like it! I did manage to match the thread pitch to a metric lag bolt, but I couldn't match the bolt diameter with anything.

I agree it is a Acme threaded screw of some sort.

You would think with Fleetwood using them to bolt down the engine cover they would be a standard part.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

While the shanks appear similar, one screw appears to have a buttress head. One can infer from the tape measure that the thread size would be 1/4-10 which does not exist. A search of lead screws lists nothing in the 6MM range.
No taps in these sizes exist. Spent an hour or so on this unicorn. Sorry.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Machine shop friend make one for you??? expensive! Go to a home depot and match as close as you can? cheaper!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. Where there's a will, there is a way. I'll figure out a replacement.

But you gotta wonder, where on earth did Fleetwood get these bolts (screws?) in the first place? You know they didn't have them specially made just for a engine cover hold down. My guess is a Fleetwood purchasing agent found a supply of miss manufactured bolts that were being sold at a great discount!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #10

If Fleetwood did buy a large quantity, it had to be extremely large, because they were using them in 1992 and 2006.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, engine