Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Engine won't start when hot!

I have a 38 Fleetwood Expedition with a cummins ISB 6.7L 360 HP Diesel.
The first time this happened we were along way from home. It was a hot day in Texas and we pulled into a rest stop for a few minutes. When I tried to start the engine nothing happened meaning it would not crank or turn over. . It seemed like the batteries were dead. I made the switch that parallels the house batteries for this situation but no help. Panic set in. I tried switching the battery switches on and off. I got my volt meter out and went across the batteries and had the wife turn the key and much to my surprise it started normal.

I decided I would not turn the engine off till we were set up in our camping spot for the night. After we were all set up with the engine still hot, I tried a restart and nothing. I decided not to touch anything till the next morning to see if it was temp related.

The next morning the engine stated fine. We spent the next three weeks repeating the same scenario.

I always wait till the engine cools down less than 194 deg before shutting down. This last time I continued to try and start noting the engine temp. This time it started after the engine cooled to about 170 deg.

I was wondering if this could be a normal operation not to start with a engine hot but I had a conversation with another Fleetwood owner with the same engine and they never experienced this issue.

Any thoughts?
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

Not normal.

Two things can be effected by the heat, that can cause your problem. The solenoid on the starter motor and the starter relay back near the engine.

Its going to be tough figuring it out, unless you can duplicate the problem, while testing.

One other thing to check is that, although rare, some starter motors have over crank protection switchs on them. That could be bad. It marked as the " OCP ", in the picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-09-22-15-23-01.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	301934
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #3

That's known as a hot soak condition.....after it cools down, works fine.....I replaced the starter......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

I once had a gas chassis RV with that same problem. I replaced the starter and added a heat shield and never had the problem again.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #5

I crawled under the rig last night to check the wiring and also got the P/N of the Starter. (Delco Remy 8200571 29MT) From what I can tell, this starter is not equipped with over crank protection switch.

The starter of course has the solenoid attached to it and also another relay which I am assuming is the "Stater Relay" twinboat spoke off.
Attachment 302037

If that is the case it sounds like the best plan of action would be to replace the starter assembly.

According to the cummins wiring, Power comes directly from the battery to the starter. If I can duplicate the problem, I should be able to check for power at the Starter solenoid and relay while the wife turns on the key.
Attachment 302032

Except for the fact it will be extremely hot under the engine at that point, it [U]should [U]be easy enough.

Plan B would be to take a gamble and just replace the starter... Its not as expensive as I thought it would be. I would think buying OEM Delco Remy would be worth the extra cost than a after market?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

Not sure why the attachments wouldn't show so ill try again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Delco starter.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	302049

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Cummins Starter.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	302050

Tags