Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

Entry door step

Recently had step replaced on 2000 American Tradition. Should be pretty straight forward. Iíve watched the install video. Before bashing me for taking it in ....Iím not physically able to do it. Fairly disabled.

Itís become a nightmare.

The tech that installed it said the old one was installed backwards (wires switched). So he installed it ďcorrectlyĒ .... well when he was done it worked but the switch inside the door didnít work and no way to keep the step out when long term parked. So then it was the switch was supposed to be bad. That didnít prove true. Fuse was blown. Replaced switch and fuse still the same. Step In and out every time door opens and closes. One night I noticed that the light was on when step closed and off when open.

He has discussed this with his guru and current thinking is the magnet on the door is reverse polarized. So replacing that.

Questions:
Are they on the right track?

Is it possible that connecting the step the right way vs backwards like step before was (for whatever reason it was, bought it a year ago tried to call the guy I bought it from and found heíd passed shortly after selling coach to me. ) caused the magnet to reverse and blow fuse?

Any one who might have any thoughts Iíd appreciate them. I hope this story made sense itís complicated and been going on for weeks now

Thanks in advance.

JRB/Adventurer
Jrbadventurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #2

First question is what was wrong with first steps? If you replaced steps with new control and motor itís entirely possible the control board is newer model than old and possible itís the old style magnet. I just replace the motor on mine which took all of 5 minutes. Installation is just plug it in.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

When you say they replaced the step, do you mean the motor and electronic control?
I know there are 2 styles of magnetic switches for the door, so it's possible that the previous owner switched the wiring to work with the magnetic door switch.
Keep us informed on the fix.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #4

Entire kwikee step assembly

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...LC3747452.html
Jrbadventurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

I would agree that the magnet needs to be changed to the new style.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #6

This should have all the answers,
Kwikee/Lippert steps service training manual
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's another file that may help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (538.3 KB, 11 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #8

It's unfortunate that we are short on repair facilities that truly know what they are doing. A more experienced tech would have all the information that other posters have so kindly made the effort to provide. These steps only fail in so many ways (I think I've suffered most of them) and given the low cost a shop of any size should have both magnetic switch types readily available. I was struggling to repair my steps last summer during a trip and found a small local rv repair shop that had the parts I thought I needed. He was too busy to help me as we were due to move to our next stop, but he had the part I wanted. He sold it to me under protest and told me exactly how it was/was not going to work and what I probably needed to get in order to make it work reliably. He didn't have this part, so I bought the one I wanted with hopes it would work. This guy was rhyming off the full logic of the steps directly from his memory, including the colors of the standard wiring, and it turned out later that his recomendation was correct.

At least it appears that your shop is closing in on a proper fix, sorry it is taking so long.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #9

Had crazy intermittent problems with my steps randomly going in & out when they shouldn't or not doing so when they should. Got tired of messing with mine and just bypassed all the switches. Bought a simple momentary double pull double throw switch to send power to the stair motor. Works like a charm. I just always make sure my steps are retracted before we pull out. It's on the check list. ��
Ccrider65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door