Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #29

Yesterday a diesel pickup passed me on a 4-lane street in town. He accelerated and the black smoke obliterated everything in front of him, including the traffic lights.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Yesterday a diesel pickup passed me on a 4-lane street in town. He accelerated and the black smoke obliterated everything in front of him, including the traffic lights.
In front of him? Was he driving in reverse?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #31

Wierd how now that your adults you care.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #32

Different Take on Diesel Emissions

Going to give a different perspective take on Diesel emissions.

First off, rolling coal is horrible. It's a cheap way to make forced induction diesel power. Watch Gale Banks videos on how he makes diesel power without rolling coal and keeping all of the factory emissions.

I believe Diesel emissions are still in their infancy.

Let us Old-Timers, go back to the early 1970s, (through about the mid/late 1980s), when gasoline engine emission systems were evolving.
Let's not forget how how horrible these systems were.

- Remember how horrible some of these cars ran?
- How engines pre-detonated (pinged)?
- How they dieseled, when the key was turned off?
- How many guys were deleting emission systems and gaining power?
- How carburetors had anti-tamper devises on them.
- Opening hoods and seeing a sea of vacuum hoses?
- The smell of rotten egg smell from the catalytic converters.
- GMs first computer controlled carburetor (introduced in California in 1979 on the Buick V6 engine).

I remember.

I was a young mechanic working on these systems.

These early gasoline emission systems were very primitive by todays standards. By the time the 1990s rolled around EFI was the norm, and reliability was back.

Conversely, 2008-2010 diesel emission systems can be likened to the mid 1970s when the catalytic converter were introduced. It's going to be another rough 10 (or more) before diesel emission systems to mature.

Gale Banks take on Rolling Coal and emissions delete:
Old 03-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #33

I find it rather humorous that the ones advocating clean air, are the ones with no emissions engines...or have yet be stranded with their families at 2am in the middle of knowdamnwhere South Dakota.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #34

THANKS to the feds' to finally take action against these people (and their removal devices) who commit these acts against out rolling homes...

bandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #35

I have no problem at all with the idea of creating a cleaner burning diesel engine. I believe we cannot kick the can down the road any longer. The only problem I have is when an EPA mandated system is so poorly engineered and installed by a manufacturer that it puts you in a very dangerous situation i.e. de-rate to 5 mph. I mean what is the purpose of that? Instant punishment to the driver for having an out of spec system? Its insane! I am not a child who needs to be punished. I mean de-rate to 55mph and I can live with it until I can get off the road. Do they think if it de-rates to 55 I will just live with it? Of course I am going to address the issue. It makes me so mad.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I find it rather humorous that the ones advocating clean air, are the ones with no emissions engines...or have yet be stranded with their families at 2am in the middle of knowdamnwhere South Dakota.
I find it humorous that some break the law and then want forgiveness or acceptance. Is it against the law to use delete devices? I believed it was, so I chose to follow the law, not have to worry about the EPA (yet) and not have to use delete devices. Simple. Others chose otherwise; we should all accept the consequences of our choices.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
One day I was riding my bicycle up a steep hill with lots of curves. Behind me was a pickup truck that was waiting for his chance to pass me. After about 5 minutes it was open to pass. Well it was a diesel that someone had modified and programmed. As he accelerated pass me there was a huge plum of exhaust that was so dark I lost the sight of the truck. I got the message he was upset waiting to pass me.

After 5 minutes on my paddles going up the steep 12% grade hill. My hart rate was about 150bpm with my breath so rapid that I could not have carried on a conversation. As I sucked in a deep breath the poorly burnt diesel. It got me off my ppedals.

Yes we should enforce laws for modification of the panels equipment.

I know back in the 70's the were large penalties for people that removed or modified auto epa required equipment.
I know just what you are talking about. I drive a small sports car convertible and will NOT drive behind or along side of a diesel pu. The stink is unbearable. The driver do do it on purpose and get a laugh out of it. If they got a ticket they wouldn't laugh.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #38

Would like to see both EPA and NOISE enforcement.

Lots of ppl add boosted turbos and black cloud makers and noisy $H1T mufflers to their pickups, both are very annoying and interfere with life.

once spent a week in an rv park that was directly on I-10 at a rest stop, was the most HORRIBLE week ever, so noisy even dogs barking was nearly impossible to hear - dreadful !!

Noise sucks as does not able to breathe due to black smoking D$$$M diesel, as does stinking Hydrocarbons from a poorly tuned/old gas engine OR loud Gas engine vehicle - NOISE is pollution TOO !
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I find it humorous that some break the law and then want forgiveness or acceptance. Is it against the law to use delete devices? I believed it was, so I chose to follow the law, not have to worry about the EPA (yet) and not have to use delete devices. Simple. Others chose otherwise; we should all accept the consequences of our choices.

I agree with you fully, but there is selective enforcement of laws today. What you or I am bound by someone else is not. These systems as designed are knee jerk reaction to bad govermental decisions. There is currently a problem with DEF sensors leaving trucks and RV's stranded. It is not dealt with, no waivers or temporary bypass solutions are offered. If I owned one, I would do whatever was needed to avoid a breakdown and prevent leaving me stranded.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
Would like to see both EPA and NOISE enforcement.

Lots of ppl add boosted turbos and black cloud makers and noisy $H1T mufflers to their pickups, both are very annoying and interfere with life.

once spent a week in an rv park that was directly on I-10 at a rest stop, was the most HORRIBLE week ever, so noisy even dogs barking was nearly impossible to hear - dreadful !!

Noise sucks as does not able to breathe due to black smoking D$$$M diesel, as does stinking Hydrocarbons from a poorly tuned/old gas engine OR loud Gas engine vehicle - NOISE is pollution TOO !
Not as bad as a straight pipe Harley.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 14 Cummins manual says to minimize idling. Yet I see many doing so. The DPF is not effective until your at higher rpms and it plugs up. My Cummins rarely regenerates since I rarely idle. I shut it off even for a few seconds. The starter motor is cheaper than a DPF.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #42

Heh heh. You never realize how much exhaust is percolating out in the air until you are sitting in your Tesla in a drivethru coffee place on a cold January morning getting your morning coffee and you are surrounded by diesel and gas vehicles idling away. The cold weather makes the exhaust super visible of course. We select re-circulate to keep it clean inside the car.

It will be nice when the technology exists to replace more of these workhorse type vehicles with quiet vehicles without exhaust pipes.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote