Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, sometimes I think somebody does things like that deliberately!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post

I replaced my old style keypad with the KE-1700 a year or so ago. All that was necessary was to enlarge the hole a little with my dremel tool. All wires match up and it was a very simple install.
I like it much better than the old one.
As I had stated in an earlier post I had intended on doing the same. However, after talking to the Essex Tech Guru, when he stated that they improved the design and reliability of the KE-1601 Keypad in late 2009 I decided to give them one more try.

I just didn't want to drag out my Dremel and have at the side of the coach just yet as I have too many other higher priority items to take care of before leaving for Alaska in April. Then my keypad decided to work once again but it is now intermittent. Hopefully it will stay that way until I am settled into Fairbanks the middle of May when I will have more time to work on this project.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Richard, the guy I talked to said that many people have used a hair dryer to heat the old 1601 keypads, drying the moisture that gets in them. You might want to try that as a temporary fix.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #32

Not trying to start an argument as to which one is better, but the 1601 keypads use the old bubble contact technology which only has a certain lifespan until the material gets brittle and will not work any more. Also, the buttons on mine had almost dissentegrated from the sun. The 1700 uses a touchpad like on a cell phone which has no moving parts to wear out and no chance of moisture invasion.
I don't know if the updated 1601 uses the same touch pad technology or not. If so, it would be just as good of a replacement.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #33

Our keypad has failed twice. Essex promised the new one (red lights) would not fail like the old one ( blue lights). Been a year so far so good.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Our keypad has failed twice. Essex promised the new one (red lights) would not fail like the old one ( blue lights). Been a year so far so good.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Is this the 1600 or 1700 series?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Since it is a 2005 model year I am betting on it being the 1700 series versus the 1600. My 1600 has always been red up until the latest revision which happens to be blue now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Since it is a 2005 model year I am betting on it being the 1700 series versus the 1600. My 1600 has always been red up until the latest revision which happens to be blue now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard,

Is this the AKE-5 version that replaced the1600. I'm sure a replacement is in my future. My OEM 1600 is still working but one of the LEDs just died and I figure the pad is on its last legs since it's now 12 years old.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Richard,

Is this the AKE-5 version that replaced the1600. I'm sure a replacement is in my future. My OEM 1600 is still working but one of the LEDs just died and I figure the pad is on its last legs since it's now 12 years old.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve,

Wrong version. The AKE is for cars. The KE-1700 is for RV's.

The KE-1700 Series Keyless Entry System

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Steve,

Wrong version. The AKE is for cars. The KE-1700 is for RV's.

The KE-1700 Series Keyless Entry System

Dr4Film ----- Richard

When I started looking at a replacement, I emailed Essex. Their response was that I could use the AKE-5 which has the same footprint as the discontinued 1600 and would be a direct drop in replacement or go to the 1700. The 1700 is what is currently marketed for coaches but I was told the wiring and operation are identical. The difference being a larger hole being necessary for the 1700.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,

You are correct. I looked at the web site for the AKE-5 and it looks identical to the new replacement unit I had ordered a few weeks ago to replace my failing KE-1600 keypad.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The replacement they sold me for the AKE1601 was the AKE-5BH. It works great!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I just returned from a weeks vacation to Arizona and San Diego. I absolutely HAVE to replace the keypad before leaving for Alaska on the 20th of this month.

The old keypad had been very erratic working sometimes and others NOT. Plus recently the dang thing started beeping like crazy at any given moment. Regardless of what I tried to do bar cutting the power wire to the keypad it would sporadically go off beeping on its own at any given moment.

I have printed the installation instructions that Joe so graciously provided in a previous post and it will be going in within a day or two after the rain stops here in Southern CA which we so desperately need.

So the moral is that if your keypad is not working when you touch one of the buttons -- Replace it Quickly. It will only get more frustrating trying to keep using it as I did. For some reason it would work fine one time and then another regardless of what you do it won't work at all and then there was the constant beeping that would drive my dog crazy who really likes to sit in that seat next to the keypad.

BTW, these keypads are touch sensitive buttons NOT push buttons. If the keypad does not respond when you first touch the key then it is on its way out.

I believe the upgrade model KE-1700 does have push buttons but it requires a larger opening to be made into the side of the coach. If this new KE-1601 Keypad goes south on me one day then the larger KE-1700 will be installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #42

Richard, the KE-1700 is not push button, it's merely a static touch like a cell phone screen with no moving parts.