RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Eugene Oil Change?

Normally do oil changes on our Allegro Bay 34XB gasser ourselves but need it changed before we make it back to Yuma, AZ. Will be in Eugene,OR area in the next few days and thought there or Junction City might be good place? Any suggestions? Idea of what they charge? Anyone use Guaranty? Thanks for the help!
2BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
When we had gassers we used local service stations .... way cheaper than an RV dealer or Truck center. Get a phone book and make a few calls; who'll save a lot.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Found a couple quick lubes but bays were only 11' high. Amazed by how much the couple places we could find wanted to charge when it is basically 6 quarts of
Oil and a filter. Or else they couldn't do it for a month. Fortunately we got a lead on a reasonably priced place so will get it done in a couple days.
2BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Changed mine once in an AutoZone parking lot. Bought the oil and filter there then gave them the old oil back. Total cost ~$25.

Probably could do the same thing at Walmart.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

A lot depends on how far from home you are.....extra couple hundred to thousand miles won't make much difference, change as soon as you get home. If your woried change the filter and top up.....

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

I use Mobile 1 synthetic, and a Mobile 1 extended life (20,000 miles so they say) filter. I just suck the oil out of the dipstick tube (it's almost exactly 5 quarts), and then dump a 5 quart container back in. So I can change oil while on a trip with no mess, as the extractor thingy I use holds 8 quarts doubles as an oil container until I find an auto parts store where I can dump it. When I get to 15,000 or 20,000 miles on the filter (so either 3 or 4 oil changes) I'll make sure I change it at home (a bit more messy).

This makes it easy to change the generator oil on the road as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Changed mine once in an AutoZone parking lot. Bought the oil and filter there then gave them the old oil back. Total cost ~$25.

Probably could do the same thing at Walmart.

That's my plan B, buying a cheap oil drip pan and giving them the old oil and donating the pan. Plan A is to find a nearby military base (I'm retired military) with a Auto shop and do the change in their lot using their oil drip pan. Some bigger bases have large bays I hear.

I plan on making a long trip next year of about 6K miles. As I do my oil changes at 7.5K I should be back at home for the next change. I will continue to do my own oil changes as long as I physically can.

I always wondered how full timers do their own oil changes.

Patrick
Semper Paratus
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote