RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Evans low side A/C line repair

I recently blew out my Evans Tempcon lowside suction line on my 2012 Newmar Baystar.. (line came in contact with hot metal) So I started to search the internet for a replacement.. come to find out it’s a custom line made by Evans and the replacement cost is $615!!!! [Mod Edit]?? I have access to hydraulic fittings, hoses, and crimpers at work so I went with the option of trying to repair the line myself.. well although we didn’t have the line or couplings at work to repair it I found a crimp style coupling on the web and used the Parker crimper we have at work.. after making the repair, installing, refilling system with R134 and replacing drier, my AC system is up and running again nice and cold!! And I spent $21 dollars plus shipping on the part instead of almost $700!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	612A30AD-A825-423C-8B9E-F102B92C77D3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	302167   Click image for larger version

Name:	9DB64C34-EFB1-400B-8DB1-A5EF365A44B0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	302168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	53C6CF45-BA72-496F-8A30-4708FC626214.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	302169   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2197411-BE8B-4285-BEE7-6803E9E27F52.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	302170  

dirteater74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very good.
I had to make repairs to my system last year for a failed compressor. Bad thing was the fittings couldn't be removed from the compressor and had to be cut off.
It took a while, but I found the needed crimp fittings @coldhose.com and then found a local a/c repair shop that agreed (and had the space for my 38' Class A) to crawl under the back and crimp the lines. Cost me $40 for the crimp job.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

I think you might have run into the "price it super high and wait for a sucker to buy it" pricing system.

I ran into the opposite problem with a hydraulic line. Brought the four 45 foot hoses to my local NAPA that does most of my lines in the past...$.70 / inch...plus fittings! I said that's fine if it's a 6 foot hose as typical...but these are 45 feet each...no discounts... I went to a distributor of the JLG (OEM) lines and they are $150 each. So, saved a ton going with the factory replacement part.

But most of the time, it's way cheaper to assemble the hose locally and not have to wait for the factory one.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Very good.
I had to make repairs to my system last year for a failed compressor. Bad thing was the fittings couldn't be removed from the compressor and had to be cut off.
It took a while, but I found the needed crimp fittings @coldhose.com and then found a local a/c repair shop that agreed (and had the space for my 38' Class A) to crawl under the back and crimp the lines. Cost me $40 for the crimp job.
I also had a failed compressor last year.. the original owners I bought it from said they were having problems with AC system after they added a can of refrigerant.. come to find out they overfilled the system and caused the compressor failure.. so I replaced the compressor and condenser at the same time.. the compressor was about $150 and condenser about $90 bucks, and I did the labor myself. I actually thought the condenser was going to be difficult getting out because of clearance but it wasnít too bad.. took me about 2-3 hours to change out both. I actually think I routed the low side hose incorrectly when I reinstalled it and thatís why it came in contact with the engine block and blew! 🤦🏻*♂️
Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I think you might have run into the "price it super high and wait for a sucker to buy it" pricing system.

I ran into the opposite problem with a hydraulic line. Brought the four 45 foot hoses to my local NAPA that does most of my lines in the past...$.70 / inch...plus fittings! I said that's fine if it's a 6 foot hose as typical...but these are 45 feet each...no discounts... I went to a distributor of the JLG (OEM) lines and they are $150 each. So, saved a ton going with the factory replacement part.

But most of the time, it's way cheaper to assemble the hose locally and not have to wait for the factory one.
Exactly my friend!!! I made this post to let fellow rvíers that you donít necessarily have to buy expensive oem parts when there are options out there and you do the research! It also helped that I do have a full metal and fabrication shop at work with access to hydraulic hose making equipment.. but in your case, you were able to find a shop that did the work fairly cheap compared to manufacturer cost.

Tags
air, repair