Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Even after a year....

Well, even after a year I can still find myself making some dumb mistakes!

Last weekend I moved the MH to pressure wash the driveway. (House goes on the market Dec 1st!) I keep it plugged in, so I unplugged and stowed the cable. When I finished I moved the MH back but failed to plug back up so, well the battries are dead as a doornail!

My question is, does draining the batteries and then bringing them back up with the charger in the MH have any negative effects on the batteries? These are new batteries, less then 8 months old and the MH is an '08 Winnebago Tour TD. (3-12v battery bank)

Here's another question for those who might know; I have an air pressure connection that maintains 120psi for use under the hood. The tires require 110 psi. I really have difficulty getting the tire pressure up using the MH pressure, even with the motor running. Does it require more then 10psi more pressure to get the tires to 110? I find it's fast to use the air available at Flying J but I would like to be able to top off before traveling if needed.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
mikenmo...
You should do a search for "equalizing batteries". It will tell you the best way to bring the batteries back to life.
As far as hurting the batteries ...well- let's just say it is like "taking the paddles to your heart"...you really don't want to do it too many times!

You can also learn about "equalizing" at this link...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Why did the batteries go down that quickly, unless you had multiple things turned on? I can generally dry camp for a week before batteries get down to 12.2 volts (4 6volt house batteries).
Using coach air pressure with engine running takes a lot longer than air supply with dedicated large compressor. I use mine to top off before hitting the road. When I'm at home I use my garage compressor.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Deep cycle batteries, as the name implies, are specifically designed for frequent and "deep" recharging episodes. Thus, there's no harm in running them down. However, with your set-up, you should have been able to maintain the charge for several days, unless you were running lots of 12-volt appliances or using an inverter to operate 120-volt devices. You need to do a little detective work.

Most full-time RVers end up purchasing a small 120-volt compressor to keep their tires properly inflated. We either plug the compressor into the power pole (at a campground) or we start up the generator (if we're on the road). On-board air systems (like your) are notoriously slow, especially when you need high pressures. Likewise, don't bother with a plug-in 12-volt compressor. They simply aren't designed for big tires and high pressures. I found a "used" pancake style compressor at Sears for $45. It was practically new and it can fill any tire in a matter of seconds. Its also very light. Best of luck.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We got this little compressor (1.5 gal/150 psi) from Sears to carry around. I think they're close to $100, but we got ours a couple years ago for less than $70 combining a coupon with a sale. Very compact & will handle the rv tires w/no problems.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV tire pressure

I got a small air compressor at Home Depot and it would in no way inflate my tires. It would give 115 lbs and tires needed 100lbs. The volume was way down, would have taken all day for six tires.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My front tires need 110psi, and as indicated, it takes some patience to get them to that point with the onboard compressor ...and the big diesel engine does have to be running for it to work. The rears take 105psi and that is relatively easy. I recently had to add apx 5 psi to all six MH tires and apx 10 psi to two toad tires. I had the big diesel running at high idle for apx 45 minutes to get the job done ...that is an ave of a little over 5 min per tire, and most each front MH tire probably took close to 10 min each. At least I know I am getting dry air when I do it off the on board compressor rather than a service station, but I have thought about buying a good small compressor.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! I must be lucky. I purchased one of those high pressure air inflaters from Northern Equipment and when hooking it up and seeing how much trouble it was to get the lines under the coach for the opposite side, I decided to try something else.

I have a Winnebago (2008) Destination with the quick disconnect air connection under the front hood. I purchased a 50 foot hose from Sears and put quick disconnects on both ends. I inflate my tires to 110. With the recent change in temperature I was down 2 pounds. I hooked up, started the engine, and it took 20 seconds to inflate up to 110 PSI.

I also have a "pancake" compressor at the stick house. When I tried to use it I would have to let it build up to 150 psi, then shock the tire with it, let it build up again and shock again. To much trouble. I was under the impression that the built in air compressor built the air tanks up to 125 psi. Mine workd for me, so I don't really know what to say. Question: Is there a pressure regulator control on the MH that will allow the tanks to go to 125 psi? I don't know.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
just food for thought. My home compressor is 150 psi, 7 cfm, a large sized 110v unit.
It came with an adjustable regulator installed.

It was always fine filling car tires and running air tools.

I keep my motor home tires (19.5"s) at 90 psi, and my compressor just took forever to fill em, even with the regulator bottomed on max.
Finally in frustration I took the regulator off and hooked the hose straight in.
Whooosh!
Filled em right up lickity split.

It appears that adjustable regulator was severely restricting the airflow.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
The trick using the "On Board" air is to take advantage of the top five to ten pounds of air pressure or down to a level of equalization between the tire and the on board system. Then bleed it down till the compressor kicks in and builds up full pressure again - have someone fan the brakes or bleed it off at the air chuck. Repeat that cycle till you have everything where you want it.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #11

My Freightliner chassis airs up my tires quickly. My rear duals use 100 psi and the fronts 95 psi. Topping the tires off, I just run the engine to reach maximum pressure and then turn the engine off. I may have to run the engine a second or third time to finish all six tires. I haven't measured my MH tank pressure but the dash gauges read 130 psi. I don't trust them but I do seem to have at least 120 psi at maximum. So one of the issues is the setting on your MH regulator. Clearly there is quite a difference in some of the settings. If the settings are adjustable then I would certainly look into doing so. Also, for those using 110 psi it is worth a check to see if your MH weight requires that much pressure. A trip to the scales and a reference to the tire weight/pressure chart is in order if it has not already been done.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote