Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
The good old days when you could service and set points with a nail file and a match book cover.
The days when mechanics were mechanics and not technicians.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #58

My grandfather once told that when he was very young some were called "mechanicians".
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #59

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And before that they were saddle makers and wagon makers...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #60

Actually those would be saddlers and wainwrights.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #61

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Actually those would be saddlers and wainwrights.
Thanks, I could not remember the correct names any more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Dad had the nickname of "Doc". He earned it many years ago. His fellow workers gave him the name as "Doctor of Engines". He could fix anything.

As my brother and I got older, we learned to work on various mechanical things as well as the cars. He told us that if we were going to drive the, we had to keep them running. He could tune and engine using nothing but his ears and a vacuum gauge. When you put the dwell meter and timing light on the engine, it was perfect.

He told us to listen to the engine and it would tell you when it was running right. The techs today only look at the computer and have no idea on how the engine works. They are simply parts re-placers and not mechanics. Keep replacing parts until it works.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Which is why I said get a 12VDC test light with and incandescent bulb !

After you use it a few times, you will recognize he brightness (or lack there of) to indicate low voltage.

Yes and no. A test light is not that good at showing the difference between 12.8 and 13.2 volts and will visually give false impressions due to ambient light. A meter is more exact and even the simplest VOhm meter that costs about the same as the light will be able to trouble shoot capacitors and high voltage circuits. On a motor home you have both 12 VDC and 120 VAC circuits along with multiple devices with capacitors so carrying one $9 VOhm meter (which Harbor Freight for example gives away for free during sales events) provides more versatility and much more empirical data.

I've used both types and got tired of carrying all three of them. I also have a pocket sized (shirt pocket) meter in a folding case that is very handy since you do not need a bag to carry them all or be juggling a 12 VDC light and a 120 VAC light (yes I also have a 120 VAC test light with probes) along with a real test meter.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
I assume you are referring to the one at Harbor Freight. Why do you believe it is useless for 12vdc?
That was in reference to the Klein non-contact voltage tester which only works for AC.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I first started as a mechanic decades ago, an old timer mechanic gave me a 12 vt probe like that with a straight (not coiled) wire. Over the years this little tool has been the first tool I use to find the electrical problems and has made the most money for me over any other tool. If anyone else is going to invest in one, be sure it has the multi-strand wire and not a single stiff wire. Much easier to use and lasts longer. And the coiled wire gets caught on things, constantly have to tug on it plus it causes it to pull the ground clip off. A straight wire is best.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote