Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ever flush your grey tank?

Well I hadn’t, grey tanks generally have no mechanism for this, and with this new (to me) rig with laundry, and being careful about what goes down the drains, I really thought the grey tank would stay pretty clean.

Well I was wrong! Really wrong!

Apparently the first owners engaged in the practice of sitting in an RV park, hooked up, both valves open, and living like they were in a condo or something. And because the two tanks meet in a tee, and I guess because it swivels slightly and thus the outlet can be level or even slightly higher than the valves, stuff from the black tank can run right into the grey tank.

I wouldn’t have known, other than some occasional suspicious odors from the shower drain, but I was doing a little pre-trip prep, decided to hook up the flo-jet and flush the black, and then while I was a it, not sure why, but I flushed the grey.

And was I ever glad I did! I have a clear 90 on my outlet so I can see what’s coming out of my tanks. The stuff that came out of the grey was appalling - nasty, bad, ugly....did I mention nasty? At first it looked like old rottin leaves - black and flakey and I was thinking....algae?. Then came the paper. And not just a little. Half a dozen flushings and still paper, among other nasty chunks of stuff. I can only think of one kind of paper that could end up in the grey tank, and one way it could end up there. And the mystery chunks certainly didn’t go down the sink/shower drains since I owned the coach. Half a dozen more flushings, and it was finally clean.

So the moral of the story is, unless you bought your rig new, give that old grey tank a good flushing. You might be glad you did.

Pic - clear 90, flo-jet, with discharge and flush hoses attached. The flo-jet kit was a couple hundred bucks well spent. How else could I have flushed my grey tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C97691CD-D576-4064-BD89-F9B2221DB196.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	327846  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #2

The stuff that builds up in a Grey water tank can be worse than the black tank!
I used to dump my black tank first then leave the black valve open and back flush the gray water into it, thinking I was "cleaning out" the black valve and tank...

One day, the dump hose popped out of the dump station, half way into the grey dump and I thought I was going to heave (I think I did, a little, in my throat!)

I got everything back to normal just as my wife walked around the corner and said... "What the heck died in there"...?!?

Now, whenever I charge my black and grey water tanks, I toss in an enzyme back in the black and a tablespoon in the shower drain for the grey...

As far as the paper... There's no telling what people will try to put into a sink drain...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine was pretty nasty as well so I installed a No-Fuss Flush system so I can flush the gray tank the same way I flush the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Flush.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	327856   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Flush.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	327857  

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #4

The gray discharge is the same size as the black on our rig, 3 inches. I have added a few gallons of water and re-dumped after the main dump a few times in 18 years but I have never flushed either of the tanks.

The plumbing on ours is set up well and very efficient. I'd probably be more concerned if we had a rig with screwy and/or long runs of 1 1/2" plumbing.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rig doesn't have either black or gray flush. I just use a Flush King and get satisfactory results with it.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

My travel trailer has 2 grey and 1 black water tank. Only has flush setup for the black water. The 3 lines come together in one location with the knife valves for each. I dump the black with the flush running for a period of time. Turn off the flush water, allow t drain as completely as possible, then close knife valve to the black tank.

Then I open the grey valves, with a hope I am flushing the hose out so it is a little cleaner before I store it.

I guess if I am at a full hook up site, I could leave the fresh water hookup on and flush some additional fresh water through the grey tanks. I sort of did that when I arrived at the last campsite with a full hook up. I ran a bit of fresh water in my sinks just to flush out the water lines a bit and to get hot water to the two sinks. That should have gotten me a flush of sorts at the beginning of the stay.

Even when driving down to the dump station before hitting the road, making sure the grey tanks are pretty full is probably not a bad idea to help with the flushing action.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We wipe all dishes clean with our used dinner napkins, so nothing greasy, from the dishes, goes down the drain. About once a year, I use the Camco grey tank cleaner and run several gallons of hot water into the tank. I drive the coach to the next campground and drain the grey tank. As stated, grey tank sludge can smell as bad or worse than a black tank.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We do not allow any grease into the tank (wipe dishes and pots before washing). Every couple of months before leaving for a new campgound we will fill the grey 2/3 or so after dumping add some pine power and then re-dump when we get to the new site. Keeps it nice and clean that way. We actually do the same with the black tank.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We wipe all dishes clean with our used dinner napkins, so nothing greasy, from the dishes, goes down the drain. About once a year, I use the Camco grey tank cleaner and run several gallons of hot water into the tank. I drive the coach to the next campground and drain the grey tank. As stated, grey tank sludge can smell as bad or worse than a black tank.
wasnít aware of that product - might give it a try.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #10

I see some of the 2022 Newmar luxury line have a grey tank flush this year. Good reason to convince the Mrs. itís time to trade up , for her!
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:34 AM   #11

I treat my gray tank the same way I treat my black tank. When on a full hookup I fill the tanks completely before dumping them, refill them and let them sit full for a few minutes then dump them again. I do this daily so I'm sure nothing is building up in the tanks.
I travel with the tanks 1/2 full of fresh water with a scoop or more of "Happy Camper" in each tank plus a few ounces of dish detergent to help keep any odors down to a minimum and help keep the sensors clean and working properly.
I have bought used campers before which hadn't had any care given to the black or gray tank. It was a challenge to get the tanks clean enough to satisfy me.
I have my own dump station at home and a good source of clean water from my well so I can spend a little extra time taking care of my tanks if I need to.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Tornado aftermarket flusher is an easy install if you can access the tank(s). My Grey tank is not too stinky when I use it often.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Normaly at least once a year. I start my trip from home where I add 5 gallons of water and one cup of dishwasher detergent to both the gray and black tank. I trie to do it when I will be driving at least a few hundred miles and headed to a full service site or I belive there will be no wait at the dump.

What a diffrence. Tanks get a good cleaning and monitor gauges seem to work better.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #14

For 56 gallon tanks I put in 7 gallons of water, 4 lbs of borax ,1/2 cup of dawn dish soap. Go for a 20 mile round town drive. It leaves the tanks spotless. Did this when I changed the dump valves and was amazed. I think someone on here posted it a few years ago
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, grey tank