RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Nope, your toad is considered a trailer
Not in some states. WA state is one where it isn't. To them a trailer has no motive power and is designed to be towed. If towing a motorized vehicle with another motorized vehicle the rig becomes a combination and the laws change. Same in OR and used to be in CA but I think that changed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i've been honored to have worked and been associated with hundreds and hundreds of officers during my 37-yr career. the overwhelming majority...99% or more...of them are honest, honorable people anyone would...should...be proud to know.
Apparently, while that "99%" were busy working and associating with you, the other 1% was out looking for me.

I'll fight that "defund the police" movement until I die, but too many jerk cops make their profession an easy target. Your friends the good cops should have had that small bad group fired - they knew who they were, but left them there.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Love reading threads like this, twenty five years of LE and everyone has his cop story. I guaranty you violate some traffic law every day you drive. 99.9% of the cops are great people and we all pay for the .01% that likely should not be in uniform. I encourage every single person that's commented, good or bad, to contact your local LE. Most departments have ride along programs so the citizens can see just what they do. I have had ride alongs turn into a careers, one of mine just retired as an LT after 35 years. You want stories talk to the officer your with and not how many people have you shot BS. Talk about what it's like daily, the people they deal with, the effect on them, wife, and kids. It's not like TV and over in an hour, it's 99% boredom and 1% shear terror. Others run from, they run to .......... w/o asking your race, religion or politics.
Attached Images

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
These fine people risk their life just leaving home each day, give them the respect they so well deserve.
Just for the record everyone who leaves home to provide a service to their community risks there life.

When you are sitting beside the road with your children in the car in a speed trap waiting to get hit by a drunk driver or truck driver falling asleep, public safety officers are making the road less safe.

Respect people for how do there job not how they wear a uniform.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Having repaired traffic radars in a past life I can assure you that by the time your detector goes off you have already had your speed registered, unless there was someone between you and the cop.

Ray
Me: Many years of Electronic Warfare experience. A speed radar is a very simple, brute force device. The only way you get caught with a detector in use is if the cop is using instant on, or terrain or traffic masking. And with terrain and traffic masking there's usually a good reflection to give you a a few beeps of early warning.

On my Valentine 1 I've picked up x-band at 11 miles, K at about 4, Ka a little under that. None of those devices can reliably pick you up at those ranges.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not in some states. WA state is one where it isn't. To them a trailer has no motive power and is designed to be towed. If towing a motorized vehicle with another motorized vehicle the rig becomes a combination and the laws change. Same in OR and used to be in CA but I think that changed.

I think the case was that a vehicle towing a trailer does not have to a visible rear licenses plate. A semi tractor comes to mind where the rear licenses plate can't been seen most of the time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I guaranty you violate some traffic law every day you drive.
Hey, you don't know me!

(Oh crap, he knows me!)
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #50

Quote:
Interesting. I've never heard that. What changes in WA?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #51

In over 200,000 miles interaction with LEO's has been very limited.

The DW does not drive much but one night while driving back to the trailer on a very quiet dead end highway on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay we got pulled over. We had been at a party. The DW was driving. She does not drink AT ALL. I had consumed more than my share, & hers too, of 140 proof Goslings Black Seal rum.

We had been warned to watch out for deer on the way back so the DW was driving cautiously towards the center of the deserted road.

WHOOP WHOOP, we got lit up. State Trooper. What in the world was he doing on this out in nowhere back road at this hour?

She pulls over. He walks up. She runs the window down. The inside of the truck absolutely REEKED of rum. "Has anyone been drinking in here?" Usually one to make some smart azzed comment I wisely kept my mouth shut & let her do the talking.

We were stopped because she had crossed the center line, on a deserted road. She explained the deer caution.

What really must have made this cops night & wished he had left us alone was the paperwork he got handed. He had stopped a Montana registered truck in Nowhere MD, that does not directly belong to the occupants, it is owned by our LLC. Further the driver did not have a US drivers license. She drives on her Bermuda drivers license.

Talk about an oddball traffic stop! He spent quite some time doing whatever he does when he went back to his car. All for wandering across a line.

He came back, mumbled something about a verbal warning for crossing the center line & we were on our way. He turned around & headed back towards a busy state highway where he should have stayed.

Tough job being a cop. You never know what you are in for.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
A little over two years ago, I was traveling from Florida to Arkansas going north on I-75 in Georgia. I had a dash cam and a radar detector.
I was traveling in the R/H lane and had the cruise control set at 72mph.
While passing past Adel Ga. I noticed in my mirrors that a police vehicle with flashing lights was in the left lane approaching fast.
Next thing I knew was he was now behind me.
I pulled over and the Cop came to the passenger side and stated his radar had clocked me at 95mph. The radar detector never went off.
It dawned on me at that point, that I remembered a vehicle, same make/model and color as mine had passed me just prior to being pulled over. Of course, the officer would have none of my explanation and proceeded to issue me a citation.
In Georgia, any speeding ticket over 85mph on a freeway is considered a super speeder and requires an additional fine of $200 above and beyond the normal speeding fee and court costs.
In addition, suspension of you license is also likely.
When I got back to Arkansas I reviewed the dash cam footage for the time of the citation. The footage clearly showed a vehicle identical to mine passing me at a high rate of speed.
Unfortunately the dash cam I had at the time did not record gps coordinates and speed along with video (the cam I have now does).
I did not have the time, nor the desire to return to Georgia to contest the citation so I contacted an attorney in Georgia and pled my case.
They had me send my statement along with the dash cam footage to them. Long story short, they got the court to reduce the speed to well under 85mph, no points against my license and it would not be reported to Arkansas or insurance.
It probably cost me more in money overall, but it was worth not having the citation on my record.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Interesting. I've never heard that. What changes in WA?
Braking requirements. On a combination vehicle it changes to a specific performance requirement. Stop in XX feet from XX mph and no additional braking equipment is required. CA used to be the se but might have changed. OR is the same except the distance and mph spec is slightly more stringent.
That said my rig can easily meet the WA requirements, however once outside my home state it doesn't matter as you need to meet each states requirements as you travel.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I think the case was that a vehicle towing a trailer does not have to a visible rear licenses plate. A semi tractor comes to mind where the rear licenses plate can't been seen most of the time.
That's not the post I was answering.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #55

Quote:
That's not the post I was answering.

No problem, just trying to get back to the OP's post.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #56

Quick68 He cannot be on both sides of the highway at the same time . . .
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, motor, motorhome