Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ever wonder if you should stop tinkering..

What I mean is sometimes I look back and say WOW what are you doing?

I like older units , I would do the same with a new one... I don't think I can be happy even if I could get all the options,,,,

When I got my new to me 96 Minnie Winne it had all the bells and whistles of the day.. mostly...
I was like well what a nicely though out Class C.. I looked at a lot of them...even newer models and new for ideas....

I got this RV in mid June and have spent so many hours on it,,,

Typical. overhead leaks, bad skylight, some delam.. I fixed and glued with expoxy, one more section to do in spring..

Typical mechanical stuff even at 32K orig.. Batteries,belts, fluid, exhaust,brakes, cooling upgrades, trans coolers, update shocks,,,

Fixed up/swapped/fixed the Onan4000, sound proofed got running good and DB below 60 at 10feet,,,

Updated lighting in and out to LED..

soft start in the 14.8K AC..

Updated TVs...

Added a modern auto trans switch , 3 in put with Inverter,

Long stay Propane connecter..

Today I added to Cameras to rear, one zoomed at the hitch and the other High up to see over trailer.. wile running the wires back under the frame..
I also added a Trans Temp guage/wiring..

I looked and said wow this is the 5th or 6th time I am adding stuff under here, I have so many new tyraps.. LOL..

I cant think of much else other than a new floor to delete most of the rub.. I rather sweep than vacuum..
It has some funky 4"wide mirror walls that got to go.. but that is just my likes..

Just wondering if their are more like me or am I a nut case....????
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

I have a friend like you. Friend enjoys the hunt and then the following repairs to bring the vehicle to his satisfaction. Then he quickly loses interest, sales it and starts the hunt all over again.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

If it didn't need me to attend to it pretty regularly and have me constantly eyeing ways to make improvements I would lose interest in it.

The same disease affects guy into antique motorcycles and old British sports cars. Probably any number of hobbyists.

My vehicles that do daily duty and take me to work are different, I don't want to fool with them. I just want them to do their jobs. It's the ones I keep around simply because I like them that get the attention. My RV is one of those.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Stop tinkering? NEVER! I've cleaned up about 12 items off my list for 2019, but it appears that 13 new items have been identified. I don't know about that comment on antique motorcycles, you must excuse me as I need to get back in the garage to work on my Norton.....

The nice thing is when you actually complete a good repair. Every time those steps go smoothly out and in you just have to say 'Ahhhh'.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know every penny I have put into repairs and maintenance, with very little in "upgrades" (replacing vent lids and ADDING vent Covers, improved camera replacing non-working and adding USB to coach) and 100% DIY... know my $4k+, suspect you have to be $6k-$10k in.(???) . and would HATE to think I had spent any on paid labor (OK, I replaced two tires). I have $1k+ in accessories and tools; $2500+ in Coach repairs, $1200 chassis/ engine maintenance. ($400 tires, $100 spare serpentine and hoses, a few coil packs and a few spares, trans cooler hoses, new $100 dash radio/cd/video), Tailpipe replacement x8-foot.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #6

I can't stop fixing and changing things. If I do, its time to sell it and the DW doesn't want that to yet.

Same with the summer house, no fun if I'm not upgrading.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

I would do a lot more upgrading if the family was actually using the RV more.
I have been keeping up on the maintenance and repairs, but upgrades have gotten less of a priority to doing sticks and bricks major work.
Upgrades are fun if everything else more critical in the every day life was all done.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am always tinkering at some perceived problem. Some are real and some I don’t like the way it was done.
I like upgrading things and really appreciate it when things work the way they are supposed to or at least my view of the way they should.
Having all the electrical diagrams for the coach help a lot.
Understanding basic systems and being able to follow trouble shooting tips, priceless.
Retirement vehicle.
Next problem, ground feedback from headlight dimmer switch to gauges. Time to check all those ground connections!

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #9

Tinkering = Happy Retirement
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If it didn't need me to attend to it pretty regularly and have me constantly eyeing ways to make improvements I would lose interest in it.

The same disease affects guy into antique motorcycles and old British sports cars. Probably any number of hobbyists.

My vehicles that do daily duty and take me to work are different, I don't want to fool with them. I just want them to do their jobs. It's the ones I keep around simply because I like them that get the attention. My RV is one of those.
Guess I'm in the right crowd.
Daily driver just needs to work and do their job. The toys get babied, pampered and modified/farkled. Toys need to be reliable also, just checked over before the adventure.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Tinkering = Happy Retirement
I went to the storage yard to check out the motorhome today and the bedroom slide was out about 3" -- I'm not looking forward to dealing with this. This is repair, not tinkering.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its my hobby... AND, I get to enjoy it..

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #13

Anyone that"s worked in Fab or mechanical things can't set idle!.......And I'm not paying for something I can fix or mod....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #14

I have upgraded and customized our 11 year old fifth wheel that I can't stand the thought of getting a newer model and starting all over again. Upgrading the new truck with a CB radio, camera monitor, TPMS, and Sirus cradle (basically rebuilding the console) was enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	263752  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote