Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #29

How many of you would not tow a car if it made you a few hundred pounds over? I doubt that you can find any info on accidents caused by a towed weighing too much or a MH or hitch failing because you were 500 or even a thousand lbs over. If a towed falls off I can pretty much guarantee it was hooked up wrong.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
It seems like you've done a lot of research on this topic- I think that if you were to post some links to the actual source(s?) of the facts upon which you base your posts you'd get further along.
Absent those, it's just another opinion, know what I mean?
I'm with Francesca on this. I checked the MN weight limits and found it appears to follow the commercial vehicle ratings and depends on a number of factors including the road rating (10-ton or 9-ton), number of axles and distance from foremost to rearmost, etc. Maximum is 80,000 lbs for the total combination. If you want to check for yourself here's the link and scroll to Section 4, approximately page 31. Doesn't mention anything about the GVWR or GVCWR.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelsyde View Post
How will the insurance company know the weight after an accident. Not going to happen.
Never bet on that, I know insurance adjusters who are RVers and who might just be (on this I do not by the way know) reading this.

Plus I know police officers who are sharp enough to scale a consist (Tow and towed vehicles) after an accident. And I know the ones who carry the scales with them (motor carrier officers sometimes called Diesel Smokeys or Weighmasters)

Ther are both criminal and civil liabilities in running heavy. Low cost insurance to get a lighter towed.

I went from 4,000 (max I can tow) to 2500.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #32

Quote:
It seems like you've done a lot of research on this topic- I think that if you were to post some links to the actual source(s?) of the facts upon which you base your posts you'd get further along.

Absent those, it's just another opinion, know what I mean?
No! I don't need to get further along with this. Just do what you desire. It's no skin off my back. I've told you the facts that you can check with any DMV of LE, but no one seems to want to. So be it. I hope nothing bad happens.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Never bet on that, I know insurance adjusters who are RVers and who might just be (on this I do not by the way know) reading this.

Plus I know police officers who are sharp enough to scale a consist (Tow and towed vehicles) after an accident. And I know the ones who carry the scales with them (motor carrier officers sometimes called Diesel Smokeys or Weighmasters)

Ther are both criminal and civil liabilities in running heavy. Low cost insurance to get a lighter towed.

I went from 4,000 (max I can tow) to 2500.
NO ONE suggested the OP's friend should run over rating. The question was, can he pull a heavier toad if he compensates by reducing the weight of stuff in the RV a like amount. Since all the weights would still be within ratings for the Gross Vehicle Combined Weight Rating AND the hitch rating, no police or insurance agents need get involved. I am at a loss as to why folks are making such a big deal about this.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

If you're talking about the 1993 incident in IDAHO, it wasn't quite as you remember:

Idaho Offers Settlement To Couple In Forest Fire Case The Couple Unknowingly Towed A Burning Car. It Sparked A Fire That Cost $1.3 Million To Put Out. - Philly.com

And it has nothing to do with this topic about towing within rated limits of the RV + toad as described.

Funny that it's ME that's off topic when I was replying to YOUR post of "Also, can you site a case where a person lost his estate because of an RV accident?".

A motor vehicle accident of ANY type puts drivers at risk of a lawsuit.

If a lawyer thinks a vehicle was overloaded their mouth starts to water and the legal paperwork starts to fly
Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Not to nit pic, but to be correct, there is no such rating as GVCWR...it's now GVWR for the vehicle and GCWR for the combined weight.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I've told you the facts that you can check with any DMV of LE, but no one seems to want to.
Ordinarily, it's up to the person making a positive assertion of fact to offer proofs...it's much more difficult to prove a negative. But I took up your challenge as best I can. I looked up accident reporting forms for my State, Washington; this in an effort to ascertain where if anywhere such information would be recorded/reported by anyone investigating an accident. Seemed like a reasonable approach since if as you maintain it's "required", this should be reflected in the paperwork demanded by the State.

The actual form that Police Officers use isn't available to Civilians, but I did find the complete Instructions for filling it out.
The ONLY language/requirement in those instructions for recording weights at all is related to commercial vehicles. (See chapter 14, "Commercial Motor Carrier).

The official form for Civilian reports is posted in its entirety at this link. There is no language/space/question at all regarding vehicle weights of any kind.

Nowhere in/on either of these resources is there anyplace for the recording of weights of privately owned vehicles.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I always wonder the same thing when folks start talkin' about liability-for-overtow. Maybe I'm missing something- anybody ever seen a crew out there after a wreck, sweeping up all the debris and taking it away to be weighed?
Have you ever seen a tow truck take the vehicle away? How do you know where he is taking it?

I, on the other hand... Have worked both for the towing company and the police as a dispatcher and .. Well, I know.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Lot of confusing of very simple terms. Opinions to the contrary- Ratings are not the same as actual weights. "Mel s" in post #24 linked to the definitions of GVWR, GCWR and more importantly GCW which is determined by actually weighing the combination. IF my MH GCWR is 26000, and the GCW does not exceed that rating I can safely comply with the ratings. It's not a legal definition but is based on not exceeding the strength of the components of the chassis. If I exceed the hitch ratings or my tires are on fire, then GCWR is not the problem. Weight ratings and legality pertains to commercial vehicles, (thanks Francesca) and in some states to RV's rated at 26001 lbs, even if they don't weight that much.
In the OP's question, the answer is just-yes. The combined weight of the vehicle and the towed do not exceed the GCWR of 26,000 and the vehicle components can safely handle that load, by design....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #39

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
No! If he gets a ticket or is in an accident, no matter whose fault, If his rig (MH and toad GVCR) exceeds the GVCR of the MH, he will at best get a ticket and fine. It will be even worse if an attorney gets involved. He may lose his whole estate. Wil
If any attorney gets involved he may lose his whole estate. Even if he is not at fault. Really. Even if he is not at fault.

Let me pose a hypothetical.

I'm hit from behind while parked at a rest area. The driver of the other vehicle is both drunk and driving on a suspended license. Not my fault. However, because I'm over weight, I may lose my entire estate.

You may want to recheck your references.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I am at a loss as to why folks are making such a big deal about this.

Because that's what people do! Capiche?

My favorite "example" so far of the Very Terrible Things that WILL happen if one's overtowing is that of the guy that gets hit from behind in the rest area and- lo and behold-is held liable simply because his own rig is "overweight".

Are you KIDDING me???

To the O.P., assuming he/she is still following this wild ride off topic:

Most "overtow" situations resolve themselves simply because it's a struggle to ask underpowered vehicles to tow more than they're equipped to do. Many folks just give up on the idea and buy either a bigger TV or a smaller towed unit.Those diehards who continue to "overtow" successfully understand two principles:

Be prepared to go slower/drive more cautiously.
AND
Insure that the towed unit has its own brakes. It is not so much about moving as it is about controlling it and especially stopping it when the time comes.

These are the only principles that govern. Fault, in the event of an accident, is assigned not by virtue of the equipment involved, but by the ability of the driver to control it.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #41

Oh yes, I'm still following it.

Keith
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps folks that are so quick to condemn you to poverty just reacted to the title, "Exceeding Weight Limitations" Maybe if they'd read your post they'd have seen you weren't suggesting exceeding weight limitations at all.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight