Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #43

I just asked a question and included the numbers. I like the way you re-phrased it in your #33 post. Clear and concise.

The fact is, if my friend tows his car and is at GVWR with the motorhome, he'll be over the GCWR by 500#. Hence the title of the thread.

He's looking for ways to avoid that or buying a lighter car.

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Because that's what people do! Capiche?

My favorite "example" so far of the Very Terrible Things that WILL happen if one's overtowing is that of the guy that gets hit from behind in the rest area and- lo and behold-is held liable simply because his own rig is "overweight".

Are you KIDDING me???

To the O.P., assuming he/she is still following this wild ride off topic:

Most "overtow" situations resolve themselves simply because it's a struggle to ask underpowered vehicles to tow more than they're equipped to do. Many folks just give up on the idea and buy either a bigger TV or a smaller towed unit.Those diehards who continue to "overtow" successfully understand two principles:

Be prepared to go slower/drive more cautiously.
AND
Insure that the towed unit has its own brakes. It is not so much about moving as it is about controlling it and especially stopping it when the time comes.

These are the only principles that govern. Fault, in the event of an accident, is assigned not by virtue of the equipment involved, but by the ability of the driver to control it.
Very good post. I agree completely.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
...In every state I have researched, the sum of the GVWR of the MH and GVWR of the toad must not exceed the GVCWR of the MH. There is no way to reduce those weights. They are provided by the manufactures and are controlling...
I'm not questioning your research, I've seen dumber things.

My bet is combined weight ratings are only used in lieu of actual weights. If not, most of us don't have tow bars rated to pull our tow based on the tow's GVWR.

To the OP, the setup is fine as long as the actually weighs less than the RV's tow rating or the hitch rating (which ever us less) AND as long as the actual loaded combined weight doesn't exceed the GCWR of the RV.

As for liability, make someone prove you're exceeded the limits. Take your loaded RV and tow and have a certified weight certificate. You can get them at most truck stops. This will serve as your proof for someone to prove otherwise.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Have you ever seen a tow truck take the vehicle away? How do you know where he is taking it?
I, on the other hand... Have worked both for the towing company and the police as a dispatcher and .. Well, I know.
wa8yxm

Although I have never worked for either a towing company or as police dispatcher.....BEFORE I allow a tow truck to tow ANY vehical I own I know exactly where it is going...(or it DOESN'T go)!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, this is my last go at this.
It doesn't make any difference how much the weight is lowered. The GVCR stays the same. The MH actual weight could be lowered to 10 lbs., and the GVCR will dtill be the same.
Yeap. And his actual weight will still be at or under the 26,000 lb GCWR, so therefore no problem. Legal or otherwise.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight