Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Experience with Dicor Fiberglass Roof Treatment?

My coach has hit the 7 year mark - and my recent inspection says it's time to put a little work into the roof. I've been looking into the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating.

I've watched the "how to" videos linked to the Dicor site - and see they recommend cleaning the roof with Dicor's Fiberglass Clean & Prep product. I also see they suggest that one tarp the sides of the vehicle when cleaning the roof as well as when applying the Fiberglass Roof coating.

Does anybody have experience using these products? Is tarping the sides of the vehicle truly necessary or is it a bit of overkill. I'm struggling to image that any "tarp job" will be truly effective in keeping water/cleaning solution from getting under the covering and ultimately running down the sides.

I'm hoping that simply using care to ensure that whatever runoff that comes down the sides gets rinsed thoroughly will be sufficient. Once the roof treatment is completed - I'll be moving on to my annual hand wash and wax of the rest of the coach's exterior.

Does anybody with experience with these products have any feedback?

Thanks in advance! :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

Why put any coating on the top of a fiberglass roof? Wash and wax to protect. That's it. All that is needed.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #3

Using Dicor Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Why put any coating on the top of a fiberglass roof? Wash and wax to protect. That's it. All that is needed.
Why? Keep reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Yes I have experience and some feedback
I think this is what you're talking about (below link) and yes I applied this product—along with many other PM items and upgrades—to our fiberglass roof when I completely redid our roof as a proactive PM item before we started FTing at the 5 year mark. I did not drape tarps or any other protective coverings over the sides of the MH. Not necessary. Just be careful. Proper roof prep work is essential for this to work and last. Our roof still looks great. Main reason for applying product is to repel heat in the summer time (big difference) and much easier to clean. Afterwards, I also installed new vent covers over all 3 vents.

BTW...I've read many of your posts in the past and have always enjoyed them and found them helpful.

Here's a link to the complete work I did to our roof.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fina...ne-316925.html
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
My coach has hit the 7 year mark - and my recent inspection says it's time to put a little work into the roof. I've been looking into the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating.

I've watched the "how to" videos linked to the Dicor site - and see they recommend cleaning the roof with Dicor's Fiberglass Clean & Prep product. I also see they suggest that one tarp the sides of the vehicle when cleaning the roof as well as when applying the Fiberglass Roof coating.

Does anybody have experience using these products? Is tarping the sides of the vehicle truly necessary or is it a bit of overkill. I'm struggling to image that any "tarp job" will be truly effective in keeping water/cleaning solution from getting under the covering and ultimately running down the sides.

I'm hoping that simply using care to ensure that whatever runoff that comes down the sides gets rinsed thoroughly will be sufficient. Once the roof treatment is completed - I'll be moving on to my annual hand wash and wax of the rest of the coach's exterior.

Thanks in advance! :-)
Well Sir,
It's your coach and your roof and your money so, your choice. I did the Dicor treatment. All of what you stated is true. Yes, the importance of protection of the sides of the coach with visqueen or any other type tarp does help but, as you stated, and we experienced, some product does get under the tarp.
The problem here is, all this was done in our case, for a RUBBER ROOF, not a fiberglass roof. There's been plenty of discussions on here and other RV forums about "coating" a fiberglass roof. As I stated, it's yours so, if you feel a coating, Dicor or otherwise is what you want, well, it's a lot of work for sure. It took us, my son and I, about 10 hours straight, on 95 degree day to put clean, prep and install, two coats of the Dicor coating. Yep, the roof looked outstanding when done. And, to the best of my knowledge, it was in perfect shape, at least 5 years after we'd done it. Again, that was on a rubber roof. Have fun.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Well, it's not often I see someone actually agreeing with me on this process. Yep, I did it to ours, about 6 years ago and, even though our coach stays in an RV garage when we're not galavanting all over the country, that roof is still in great shape. It's time again, for a thorough cleaning and, a rubbing out and waxing. I don't mind this kind of work. I do a little, take a break, do more, take a longer break, finish up a day or two later and, it's done. And it's protected for quite a long time.

I have never, ever gotten any streaks from run off, from that roof.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	245889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	245890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	245891  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a good write-up from the Beaver Ambassador Club on the Rust-Oleum Marine Topside deck paint which is an alternative to Dicor.

https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings...-roof-coating/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

"Main reason for applying product is to repel heat in the summer time (big difference) and much easier to clean. "

If the fiberglass roof is a dark color - ok. Mine is white.
re: easier to clean - I just power wash 90% of the time. Takes a few minutes. There is already a long thread on powerwashing - so no need to debate the pros / cons here....
Granted my roof isn't as nice as FireUps after picture. Living in the woods with lots of leaves that would be a stretch.

I did put a white elastomer treatment on the black rubber top of the Bounder...for heat. Sure enough it's peeling here and there on last cleaning. That's the pain of putting something ontop of the gelcoat. Another layer to maintain.

If the gel coat is cleaned and waxed, then it won't drip chalk residue down the sides.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

I coated the fiberglass roof on our 2004 National Sea Breeze not a hard job to completed. First an foremost clean the roof with the recommended clearer from Dicor with a good stiff brush. Let dry overnight if you can also walk very carefully it is like glass after the cleaning. No I did not tarp it didn’t cause a problem. Our coach is 33’6” so it took just over a gallon for one coat. Two years now easy to clean with soap water. Cleaned just before a trip to Roundtop,Tx and will clean again next week before head to Gulf Shores.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, fiberglass, roof