Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #1

Extended warranty price and reputable companies

I know the topic of extended warranties has been discussed ad nauseam in the forums but wanted to ask some more specific questions and get some feedback. We just picked up a new 2018 Renegade Verona LE today and the dealer offered a 5-year comprehensive extended warranty, including roadside assistance, for the "today only" price of $9500. I strongly resent the high-pressure sales tactic and I seriously doubt they would turn down the sale next Monday for the same price.

First, based on what I've read, that price seems to be 40%-50% higher than I've seen for comparably priced coaches but am I wrong on that? Is that the "going rate" for that type of plan on this type of coach?

Second, I have read that some people recommend not purchasing an extended warranty until the 1-year factory warranty expires, which makes perfect sense. Any arguments against waiting?

Last, if we didn't go through the dealer, what third-party providers could someone recommend? One of my concerns is that it would be like pulling teeth to actually get the plan provider to actually cover anything should there be any issues so any recommendations based on experience would be greatly appreciated!
Aggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

lots of threads on extended warranties here as well as other RV forums.

in a nutshell IF what is being offered is an extention of the FACTORY warranty, same coverage, no exclusions, then maybe it would be worthwhile but not at the cost being cited.

but i am 100% confident what is being offered is not a factory extention but a service contract. two types of service contracts...those that list what is INcluded and those which tell you what is EXcluded. each type has their proponents.

but we went in a different direction. we turned down the serv. contract and instead used the money we would have spent to start a maintenance and repair fund and then added $X to that fund each month. 32-years later we have a very nice nest egg to cover anything and everything.

if you do decide to purchase a contract read it carefully. most have lots of gotchas such as covering a major part but if the failure was caused by a part not covered, well, gotcha! understand that a small percentage of purchasers will make out well but the vast majority will not. the RV magazines...Motorhome and Trailer Life...publish letters of complaint about these Service Contracts almost monthly.

hopefully you are paying cash for your depreciating asset but if you are financing your RVwhatever you decide please DO NOT roll the cost of the contract into your financing. pay cash. otherwise you'll be paying interest on it for years after the service contract ends.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #3

First off they are not extended warranties. A warranty is provided by the manufacturer. What you are buying is a 3rd party service plan. Plans come in many different flavors so without knowing what you're buying its hard to say how good or bad it is. Ask for a copy of the contract so you can read it over carefully on your time.

1. If you think the price is too high make an offer and be prepared to back up your claim its too high with some proof. Hearsay doesn't cut it.

2. If they'll let you buy it later go for it.

3. Do you really think this rig will need $9500 or more worth of repairs by the end of year six to make it pay? As you can tell I'm not a fan of them. Cheers.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
11 years ago the dealer offered me a 7 year policy at about $10,000, I kept saying no until they came down to $3300 and I bought it. In 7 years I got about $12,000 in covered repairs. 4 years ago I bought a 4 year policy for $6,000 from wholsalewarranties.com and i had over $10,000 in covered repairs. I never had a claim denied by either company. If you decide to buy a policy, wait until the factory warranty is up and then call Wholesale Warranties for a quote.

Only you can make the decision on what is right for you to do.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I understand the difference between a factory warranty and a service plan and what the dealer was offering is a service plan; I just used the wrong term in my original post.

rk911, understood about the financing aspect and that's not a factor here.

UFO Pilot, thanks for the referral to Wholesale Warranties. That's the kind of info that's helpful to decide what to do if we decide to move forward with a plan.
Aggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
I know the topic of extended warranties has been discussed ad nauseam in the forums but wanted to ask some more specific questions and get some feedback. We just picked up a new 2018 Renegade Verona LE today and the dealer offered a 5-year comprehensive extended warranty, including roadside assistance, for the "today only" price of $9500. I strongly resent the high-pressure sales tactic and I seriously doubt they would turn down the sale next Monday for the same price.

First, based on what I've read, that price seems to be 40%-50% higher than I've seen for comparably priced coaches but am I wrong on that? Is that the "going rate" for that type of plan on this type of coach?

Second, I have read that some people recommend not purchasing an extended warranty until the 1-year factory warranty expires, which makes perfect sense. Any arguments against waiting?

Last, if we didn't go through the dealer, what third-party providers could someone recommend? One of my concerns is that it would be like pulling teeth to actually get the plan provider to actually cover anything should there be any issues so any recommendations based on experience would be greatly appreciated!
You can get Good Sam platinum roadside assistance for $79 for the first year, then $129/year after year 1. Very good. I have used once to tow the RV, once as I locked keys in the car. I had an extended warranty on my 15 year old Beaver for $2000/year thru Good Sam which covered everything but engine seals, brakes, shocks, tires and other usual wear/maintenance items.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Also have a Wholesale Warranties Service Contract. In less than a year I have half of the contract price paid out in repairs. It is an Exclusion Contract on a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. The Viking plan covers nearly everything and Wholesale Warranties was great to deal with.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
We use Coach-Net service contract which includes road side service plus a add on tire/wheel plan. Very easy to work with and have had two claims no problems.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #9

I also recommend Wholesale Warranties and the Viking Protection Plan.

It is backed by American Insurance Bankers Group and includes items not covered by other policies such as the Charge Air Cooler.

Pursuant to issuing the policy, they send an inspector out to do a thorough evaluation of the coach, which includes a test drive, and they provide you with a copy of survey once your policy is issued.

I have had one claim as the result of a failed rear Firestone airbag and they paid for everything except my deductible which was expected.

Now, with ANY extended warranty coverage, the majority of denied claims for coverage stem from owners failing to call FIRST before taking action on their own.

I can't stress that enough provided the delay or lack of immediate action on your part doesn't put you or your family in harms way.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
We use Coach-Net service contract which includes road side service plus a add on tire/wheel plan. Very easy to work with and have had two claims no problems.
I also have the Coach-Net service contract. No claims yet but very competitive on purchase price.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
9500 hundred? That does a lot of fixing.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #12

I purchased a Coach Net policy a few weeks before my factory warranty expired. & years full coverage and roadside for under $4k. Already has paid more than double that in covered repairs. I have had had no issues with any of my claims.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I like XtraRide from Protective. I just renewed my service contract (technically, you purchase another service contract) through Eagle Vision RV. I thought they were reasonably priced and much cheaper than the RV dealer.

https://www.eaglevisionrv.com

They do sell a variety of service contracts (not just XtraRide).

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #14

So, they want to sell you a $9500 service contract for a new coach that has a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty ensuring that the first 20% of the contract is pure profit, then the only exposure is to mostly body issues that will be covered by comprehensive insurance and a few appliances for the second year. Third year, pretty much only appliances as the coach is still covered by a structural warranty. Fourth and fifth year is only appliances and installed and structural systems. The most expensive part of the coach to repair, the chassis and driveline are still covered by the OEM warranty.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty