Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

It is fair to say that the exterior lighting schemes of some folks are an eyesore to some and beautiful to others. The strings of multi-colored flamingos for instance may look tacky to some of us just as my strings of plastic motorcycle-shaped lights will look tacky to almost everyone except me. I don't like brightly lit areas around the campsite so I was thinking why not build a multi outlet receptacle with an integral rheostat dimmer. That way I can tone-down my garish lighting and TOWMBO will allow me to put out my sikul light strings. Anyone done this? Is there already a component I can buy plug-n-play at Radio Shack to do the same task?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Retired Senior Member

It is fair to say that the exterior lighting schemes of some folks are an eyesore to some and beautiful to others. The strings of multi-colored flamingos for instance may look tacky to some of us just as my strings of plastic motorcycle-shaped lights will look tacky to almost everyone except me. I don't like brightly lit areas around the campsite so I was thinking why not build a multi outlet receptacle with an integral rheostat dimmer. That way I can tone-down my garish lighting and TOWMBO will allow me to put out my sikul light strings. Anyone done this? Is there already a component I can buy plug-n-play at Radio Shack to do the same task?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
About 3 years ago, I went to Home Depot and bought a rheostat. I put the male plug on one end and the female plug on the other. Now, on the rare occasion that we actually put out lights, I can control the lights and keep it down to a dull roar.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

I was hoping that a ready-to-use devise out there. "Dull roar", I like that. Maybe I'll buy a dozen of them and give them away to some of the more obnoxious campers.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Ron
Walmart and maybe Lowe's has a remote control lamp dimmer for about $20 you could put this in a box.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
RonNBama,

The unit that I found is a self contained/enclosed slider type switch. You open up the box and attach the wires to the terminals. I made mine stand alone meaning I used about a foot of wire on each end with the appropriate plug. That way it is not attached to just one item. I could plug anything into the switch and adjust it with the slider. Of course I doubt that I'll use it for anything other than lights.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
...Maybe I'll buy a dozen of them and give them away to some of the more obnoxious campers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, sounds like you've run into to some of the same "scared of the dark" campers we have! And they feel the need to light up the entire area ALL NIGHT LONG!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a coach parked across from my spot yesterday with rope type lighting underneath the perimeter of his coach. Rheostat controlled.
Very cool!

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Went to Home Despot and found a small, self-contained stat for $11. Perfect for my application. Thanks for the tip.

Yep, Lorna, having one of those "landing-lights" on the side of a rig that can illuminate ten camping slots is most irritating. I make it a point to scatter M&Ms and sprinkle sugar all around the offending site to help attract wildlife and ants away from mine.

Not really.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 AM   #10

A lot of people have the mistaken notion that bright lights discourage uncivil acts against them. Nothing could be further from the truth!!