Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Exterior maintenance

Looking for some information from you experienced folk out there. We are new to motorhome. Besides obvious washing and waxing, what other items need routine exterior maintenance and on what schedule? What are the best products that you use? What should we avoid? many thanks for your replies!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Others on this site use 303 Aerospace protectant on the tires and rubber trim.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Do not forget about the locks for the outside storage compartments. They need to be lubed and maybe even adjusted over time. I lube the storage compartment locks at least twice a year, when the MH comes out of winter storage and again before it goes into storage. I also clean and lube the hinges for the compartment doors. Before the MH goes into winter storage, I remove all items from the storage compartments and clean them out. There always seems to be a little dirt/dust in them. Depending on what the weather has been like, I may also put all of the awning out to left them dry out and inspect for damage.
I am sure that there is a lot of other items that people will chime in on, also!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

There is nothing that will destroy a coach quicker than a roof leaking rain water. Don't wait until you have water dripping from the ceiling, or worse, running down inside the walls. I believe it's important to get up there on your hands and knees to go over the sealants used to seal anything you see protruding from, or fastened to, the roof. Locating, and dealing with, potential cracks in sealants, or lifting/separating sealants should be done twice a year. I do ours in the fall looking for sun damage, and spring, looking for snow/ice damage.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
What are the best products that you use?
I just finished a full "wax" job using RejeX. So far I am extremely happy with how easy it went on and wiped off, plus the shine. We are leaving next week on a trip, so I'll be better able to judge if their motto "Nothing Sticks But The Shine" is actually true. It's not cheap at about $20-24 per 16oz bottle, but if it works, it is well worth the price. It took me about 21oz to do the entire coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does RejeX a cleaner also? Will it remove black streaks?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Looking for some information from you experienced folk out there. We are new to motorhome. Besides obvious washing and waxing, what other items need routine exterior maintenance and on what schedule? What are the best products that you use? What should we avoid? many thanks for your replies!
My two cents:
Rejex for shine
303 for all vinyls and tires
Mothers: clean aluminum wheel and hubs
WD-40 for HWH for cleaning jacks and use in locks
Rain-X for windshield after Windex to clean
Baby shampoo and vinegar to wash RV
Old 10-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all four reply. Please explain baby shampoo and vinegar Terry and Kathy. that's a new one on me.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all four reply. Please explain baby shampoo and vinegar Terry and Kathy. that's a new one on me.
It is what Newmar recommends for high end finishes; should be able to find in your coach specs once you purchase.

Between the wash with baby shampoo and vinegar my 2012 looks fabulous along with the Rejex. Get compliments on my coach on being brand new almost every outing. The good news is there is longevity between washes and waxes now as well.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

As was noted above.......watch for water penetration and if it's found, correct the issue quickly. One thing you'll have with a motor home is scratches from the trees and brushes. To take care of the outside and eliminate most scratches I recommend a dual head polisher Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5-Pro with ProGuard Backing Plates, Cyclo Pro-5 Polisher, Cyclo buffer

I've had one for 3 years and I love it. No more scratches
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've learned the following so far in maintaining my RV:

EPDM Roof Sealant...examine your roof seals twice a year for cracks and apply as needed.Water infiltration is one of your biggest enemies.

303 for tires/rubber

a silicone spray or lithium grease for jacks / slide outs as needed

baby powder on rubber slide out seals to keep them from squeaking while driving.

3 in 1 oil on door locks/latches to stop squeaking while driving

a polymer for the body such as Rejex,ZEP, or Polyglow to give it a shiny waxed finish. Once you apply a polymer finish, you can not remove any dirt under that finish without using the manufacturers polymer remover first, so be sure the surface is as clean as you can get it before applying the finish.

Barkeepers Friend is my go to cleaner to remove those nasty black stains on the RV and it also removes water stains on the windows, just don't leave it on the glass over 60 seconds. It might take a couple of applications to clean really bad water stains.

I have been using Polyglow for 3 years now on my 12 year old coach and had good luck with it. Some like it, some hate it but it has worked for me. Rejex and ZEP seem to work well also according to testimonials here.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Rejex is good stuff, but I only use it on the windows/windshield. It says to wax the coach twice a year...and that's not going to happen. For the coach I use Nu Finish or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, both are easy on easy off and last a year.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #14

Following.
matthew6279 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance