Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extra Wide Tires?

I have seen many Semi Tracker-Trailers replacing dualies with a single tire that is double wide (about the same width as the dualie it's replacing). Is this something we should expect to see in the RV industry? Is there an advantage to the single tire solution?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe those are called "Super Singles" and they offer cost/weight saving

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Yes they are super singles. Been around for years but have not really taken off in the trucking industry. Why I do not know. One reason at least according to a o/o trucker I know is that he feels if he gets a flat it is no bueno as he put it. He felt that if he had a flat he had a better opportunity with dual tires to deal with it. Whether it was a safety issue or an equipment damage issue or both I dont know the conversation moved onward to something else. That was just one persons opinion and beyond that I have no real knowledge about them.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

When fuel prices were higher I saw a lot more.

So, knowing that fuel prices are cyclical, these super singles will make a comeback.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar tested them years ago. Guess they saw no reason to use them.
Around here all I see them on is pups. Did talk to a tanker driver about them. He wasn't too sold on them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I remember a RV manufacturer that had a model with the super wide tires on the rear instead of duals, Winnebago Luxor maybe??? I can't remember for sure the brand and model but for some reason the Winnebago is coming to mind.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

Recently visited with a trucker while filling up, he raved about the super wides. Also have a relative in the trucking industry and he is in the process of converting the entire fleet to super wides.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Winnebago Luxor maybe???
There was an all wheel steering model that used super singles. Quite rare though.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #9

Many of the fleets around the port of Tampa are now using super singles.... I've noticed the conversions over the last year or two.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

This article is informative on the pros and cons of super singles. Some of them apply to motorhomes, but most do not. Note: motorhome tire usage is most similar to the regional delivery tire application, not line-haul or OTR (over-the-road).

Are super singles really that super?: Wide-base tires may not be ready for line-haul applications - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

In my opinion, few motorhome owners would see much benefit from super singles. They don't travel enough miles/year, have only one axle with duals (big trucks w/trailers have 4-8 sets), and already have the lighter aluminum wheels in most cases. And for most owners, the lack of "limp home" capability would be a perceived drawback, even though a flat on a dual is relatively rare.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #11

As the article Gary posted indicates the super single is all about weight savings (critical to a truck's profitability)and supposedly better fuel mileage. The fuel savings is minuscule which means the weight reduction is the only plus. I can tell you from experience that as the tire tread wears, the hydroplane factor increases dramatically compared to dual tire vehicles.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I see the super singles on the tanker trucks on I-10 a lot. Most are hauling gasoline.

I also saw one in the Michelin truck dealers lobby. Sure looks good with that large deep aluminum wheel. The Michelin dealer claimed reduced rolling resistance.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
BEWARE!!!
They are very susceptible to hypo-planing on wet roads.

If You have a Blowout on a super single..
They will cause one hell of a lot of collateral damage to your coach.
...and when that happens you are "dead in the water" until you either get the tire replaced (IF they can find one) or hauled in on a roll-back semi trailer..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #14

We just finished a 6,500 mile trip around the U.S. Much of it was in or around the Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Tennessee areas and, we saw hundreds of Tractor-Trailer rigs with trailers that had as many as 8-10 axles on them. And, on may of those trailers, ALL EIGHT TO TEN AXLES were fitted with Super Singles. Trailer after trailer was fitted with those. Some of the tractors too. As many of you know, the roads and freeways in many of those eastern states SUCK BIG TIME. Pieces of tire, fender pieces, and other paraphernalia laying on sides of many of them.

Now, was any of those tire pieces, parts from a super single, not a clue. But, there sure were lots of tire pieces laying around.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires