Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #1

F-550 and oil change

So the new Thor Omni which is on a Ford F-550 chassis has the 6.7l Diesel engine. I picked it up a couple weeks ago with 1100 miles, normal for an RV in MS that was made in IN. Going through the various systems pages on the dash, steering wheel controls, I see that the oil life is at 28%. The owner's manual isn't very helpful about oil change interval except very brief discussions about the "old life sensing system". Not exactly what it's called. If 1100 miles uses up 72% of oil life I'll spend all a trip just changing oil. I'm going to hope that when the chassis left the Ford factory the system wasn't set correctly. Otherwise, how could the oil life be so low with so few miles?

The slides and leveling system require the engine to be running to operate them. This is going to run up the idle hours which of course is not the best for an engine and adds to the severe duty conditions.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

I used to change the "break in" oil in new vehicles at about 1200 miles when I worked at a dealership.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post

The slides and leveling system require the engine to be running to operate them. This is going to run up the idle hours which of course is not the best for an engine and adds to the severe duty conditions.
I looked at a web site Powerstroke hub and it says 10K mile or as indicated by the oil life monitor. Excessive idling, short trips where it doesn't warm up, are "severe duty" and lower oil life, and other things. Those 2 conditions describe life at a dealership so it might call for an early oil change which of course is good and won't hurt anything except the pocketbook.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I do an initial oil change at around 1000 miles on new vehicles, then determine my own interval by the way I’m using the vehicle. I never run the factory recommended interval, but that’s just me. Many will say it’s fine and you can always have your oil tested.

I change my Ford 6.7 every 5000 miles and I don’t use it hard. Some will say that’s excessive, but it’s easy and cheap insurance as far as I’m concerned. Initially I was going to use a 7500 mile interval for my 6.7 cummins in my coach, but I might bump that up to 5k as well. Again it’s easy, I don’t care about spending a few extra $ on oil, and I am interested in maximizing longevity of the moving parts.

As far as in-dash % oil life remaining, I always ignore those things and rely on the odometer. But in your case, based on the math, it might be intended to prompt an initial 1500 mile oil change, which would actually make sense. I don’t remember if mine (2017 F250) did that or not.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #5

Before my crusty old mentor mechanic retired he said "I never a single instance where someone brought me a vehicle that had engine problems from having its oil changed too often."

(OK I neatened it up and left out the four letters words, but that's the gist.)
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 PM   #6

Since you donít know the history, Iíd change the oil when the remaining oil life monitor indicates to do so. Youíll no doubt get a much longer interval out of the next oil fill.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #7

Pretty easy to take an oil sample and send it off to Blackstone Labs for ~$40.

Perhaps it is time based also and not just mileage based. One of my cars is that way.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The intitial oil needs to be dumped, reset the monitor/sevice reminder.. Use a good oil. please no oil debate.. I will add make sure the oil is approved by ford for the extended 10K.. service, other wise change it at 5K or 7.5 K max. or is you use it hard, extended idling or even short trips that does not let the motor breathe out LOL etc.. .

Almost like the other posts, change it ..blah blah..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:00 AM   #9

My inclination his to change it soon, it just baffles me how the oil life monitor got to that point. No I'm not a particular fan of all the enhanced computerization of everything. I drove it from the MS dealer to my SE AL home another few hundred miles and have a short trip next week. Short as in 250 miles and I'll check to see what the monitor indicates before and after. A more significant trip in August-September and it'll have fresh oil and filter for that.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Although I don't believe that break-in oil is actually used anymore, I too attempt to change oil in a new vehicle at about 1,500 miles and then use the miles recommendation according to the manufacturer rather than an "engine oil life monitoring system."

And I wouldn't consider idling the engine for the time it takes to extend or retract the slides and levelers, "severe conditions." That's just me but if you feel it is, follow Ford's recommendation for oil changes under "severe conditions." Like I say, I don't believe the type of driving that RVs typically do (highway miles primarily) would ever be considered operating under "severe conditions" unless you encountered a sand storm, etc. along the way.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Although I don't believe that break-in oil is actually used anymore, I too attempt to change oil in a new vehicle at about 1,500 miles and then use the miles recommendation according to the manufacturer rather than an "engine oil life monitoring system."

And I wouldn't consider idling the engine for the time it takes to extend or retract the slides and levelers, "severe conditions." That's just me but if you feel it is, follow Ford's recommendation for oil changes under "severe conditions." Like I say, I don't believe the type of driving that RVs typically do (highway miles primarily) would ever be considered operating under "severe conditions" unless you encountered a sand storm, etc. along the way.
I consider RV use as hard, if not severe. The same engine in a pick-up (6.7 Ford or 6.7 Cummins or whatever the current Duramax is) running to the lumber yard, feed store, or grocery store is hardly working. But make it push or pull 25000-30,000 lbs for every mile it runs, and it becomes heavy use, IMHO.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I consider RV use as hard, if not severe. The same engine in a pick-up (6.7 Ford or 6.7 Cummins or whatever the current Duramax is) running to the lumber yard, feed store, or grocery store is hardly working. But make it push or pull 25000-30,000 lbs for every mile it runs, and it becomes heavy use, IMHO.
Okay, your point is taken. But I've always just followed the manufacturer's recommendation for "ordinary" use in the RVs that I've owned.

However, I'm still not sure that idling for the time it takes for slide and jack operation will lead to much more wear for something to be too concerned about. Older diesels were typically idled for very long periods of time so the rather short period of time it takes for slide and jack operation will in my opinion not lead to excessive wear or even be considered "severe" conditions. In the old days, many diesels were idled rather than shut down and restarted as that was considered even more wear but no so much nowadays.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Okay, your point is taken. But I've always just followed the manufacturer's recommendation for "ordinary" use in the RVs that I've owned.

However, I'm still not sure that idling for the time it takes for slide and jack operation will lead to much more wear for something to be too concerned about. Older diesels were typically idled for very long periods of time so the rather short period of time it takes for slide and jack operation will in my opinion not lead to excessive wear or even be considered "severe" conditions. In the old days, many diesels were idled rather than shut down and restarted as that was considered even more wear but no so much nowadays.
Yeah I wouldnít worry about some idling either. I donít even take that into consideration. Just how many miles and how much of that is under a heavy load, climbing grades, and all that.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #14

The excessive idling is Ford's statement, not mine. My point is that a motorhome at a dealership gets moved around a lot, likely frequently started because engine has to be running to operate the slides. Thor requirement. Short test drives and the systems, read oil, never or seldom get up to operating temperatures. That's hard on systems and oil. At any rate I wondered if the oil monitoring maybe was never set correctly or such. I will change it after a short trip this week.