Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Can you cite where that warranty exclusion is written?
The Warranty cannot be voided if the modification has had no causal effect on the warrantable problem.
And I can't believe a proper painting would be causal to an issue if done in a workmanlike manner. The majority of fiberglass roof issues are going to be leaks on things that penetrate the roof (A/C, wiring, sat dish attachment etc) and paint isn't going to cause a leak.

I don't think painting is needed. A good clean and wax should do fine for protection. Painting is overkill but I have seen some roofs that look like they came out of the dishwasher. My issue with painting the roof is it is then subject to scratching and chipping. I would have to take my shoes off to walk on it...
while i generally agree that not much needs to be done to a fiberglass roof (see my earlier post) IMO (and i only play lawyer on the interweb) Dav Lís post has several potential gotchas points for RV owners that favor warranty issuers or RV mfgs.

- define causal effect and then have the RV owner prove that whatever action he/she did to the roof was not a causal effect to whatever damage resulted from said action. the burden is on the plaintiff.

- same with Ďworkman like mannerí although i suspect that might be a lesser burden.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
while i generally agree that not much needs to be done to a fiberglass roof (see my earlier post) IMO (and i only play lawyer on the interweb) Dav L’s post has several potential gotchas points for RV owners that favor warranty issuers or RV mfgs.

- define causal effect and then have the RV owner prove that whatever action he/she did to the roof was not a causal effect to whatever damage resulted from said action. the burden is on the plaintiff.

- same with ‘workman like manner’ although i suspect that might be a lesser burden.
The reality is lawyers are very seldom involved with these issues. The great majority of time, the service manager makes the call and he/she really doesn't have the need to piss off his customer, especially when the manager puts on the shoes of the customer and sees that the Paint had nothing to do with why the AC was leaking (unless the AC was removed during the painting). There is a good amount of common sense and logic that prevails.

And if the case gets out of hand at the dealer, then the OEM (the warranter) is the next issue. If the fiberglass roof is delaminating (which is really what the warranty is for) then the OEM is going to be involved anyway. Again, common sense most always applies and the OEM has no good reason to piss off the customer either.

If that still is a problem, then a quick lawyer note or call will suffice.

If it goes beyond that (99.9% never get this far) then yes, an ASE certified expert in paint / body gets called in to tell the judge the poor customer is being taken advantage of by the big fat cat OEM. The judge will very likely take the side of the customer unless the customer has no expert testimony that is credible.

I have been on all sides, all stages of these issues many a time in my old day jobs.
If you feel the compelling need to paint (for cosmetics really), then use auto quality primer and paint and do a pro job and enjoy the shine. Just don't slip off when it's a little wet....a much higher probability than the Warranty getting wacked due to a paint job.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
I'm wondering what do most people do to protect the fiberglass roof on your MH to protect against the elements and UV. We have a 2016 Tiffin and I have not done anything to the roof other than wash with soap and water.
Thanks
I have read where some have applied Formula 303 to the fiberglass roof. I too was concerned and just recently washed my roof with Dawn(safe for ducks) and applied Formula 303. I would NOT recommend floor wax as some have done. Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Just coated fiberglass roof with Dicor fiberglass coating. Covered the spider cracks and is really white to reflect some sun and hopefully help keep it cooler. One gallon does two coats on 40 foot MH.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #19

I coat our with a product from RV Tech. It smells like a latex paint, but is clear. It stopped all the white streaks and is easy to apply.

You wash the roof and mop it on. I put two coats on in a few hours. I found this after a Florida detailer applied it.

1 gallon will last for 3 years with two coats per year on a 45"
Old 05-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are going to recoat your roof here is a write-up from the Beaver Ambassador Club

https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings...-roof-coating/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
If you are going to recoat your roof here is a write-up from the Beaver Ambassador Club

https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings...-roof-coating/
Great info.

Thanks and Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
I have read where some have applied Formula 303 to the fiberglass roof. I too was concerned and just recently washed my roof with Dawn(safe for ducks) and applied Formula 303. I would NOT recommend floor wax as some have done. Good Luck!
I personally do not think 303 is going to do anything once it gets wet. It is designed for rubber, plastic, etc. but nowhere have I ever read that it will do any good for long term protection of hard fiberglass.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I personally do not think 303 is going to do anything once it gets wet. It is designed for rubber, plastic, etc. but nowhere have I ever read that it will do any good for long term protection of hard fiberglass.
This is correct.

What i said I did in Post 13 to our roof 4 years ago it still looks like new. I would not do it any other way. But of course they are many that have other opinions.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I wash with regular car wash and wipe down once a year with 303.
3x a year and 303.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof