Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Fiberglass Roofs

I'm wondering what do most people do to protect the fiberglass roof on your MH to protect against the elements and UV. We have a 2016 Tiffin and I have not done anything to the roof other than wash with soap and water.
Thanks
Leadbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
I'm wondering what do most people do to protect the fiberglass roof on your MH to protect against the elements and UV. We have a 2016 Tiffin and I have not done anything to the roof other than wash with soap and water.
Thanks
i keep it clean (washed once of twice a year) and have my shop do a visual inspection and smoke test once a year.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Aside from a good cleaning/inspection once a year, this was the best thing we did for protecting the roof on all our RV's:

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060365.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	282790  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you REALLY want to protect it, paint it with a good automotive grade paint.

Look at fiberglass cars, and how well they stand up to weather.

It would be an extra cost for the manufacturers to paint them, so it's just the thin gel coat that breaks down from the sun.

My 2 cents.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
Thanks

If you go ask the Fiberglass Roof manufacturer, you will be surprised at how little they tell you do versus some of the wide range of ideas. There a difference between various levels of what works and what is all that is needed. Only difference you could easily make is to use that "Wash & Wax for RVs"

My Fiberglass roof has 10 year warranty and some of the ideas i.e. painting actually voids the warranty!!! Not saying painting is bad, but as long as my roof is under warranty, I will ONLY do what Mfg says. Unless you plan to enter some RV Roof Beauty Contest
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #6

Though many things were aging and needed attention, the fiberglass roof on our 1996 Winnie was just fine when we traded it in earlier this year. I washed it every year or two, whether it needed it or not. That's all.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

Fiberglass is smooth untill the UV attacks the surface and leaves a porous oxidized surface that hold dirt and requires compounding to bring back the gloss.
Easier to prevent than correct UV damage.

Polymer fiberglass polish / sealant - I've used this on our boat and really like it.
Dirt doesn't stick & meant for gel coat.
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gel-...E#.XqI3wmZKjIU

NuFinsih polymer also works well and recommended by many

The other option is to wash / dry and apply 303 Protectant. Alsao protects from UV and dirt wont stick.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #8

Just wash (with Borax) once a year and check for leaks...that's it for last 15 years. Never an issue.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The below came with my Manual and is what Winnebago will refer you to as for taking care of the Fiberglass Roof. I have used the RV Wash & Wax which is easy to do and looks good, I have the Meguiar #56 Pure that I have used on the sides and if I ever were to wax the roof, it is what I would use.

GENERAL
The exterior surface of composite exterior is a high quality gelcoat. Gelcoat is available in many colors and is very durable, but
it can become dull or faded as it weathers, especially with darker colors. Sunlight, heat and moist air combine to oxidize the
gelcoat surface, fading it and making the surface cloudy.
So how do you keep your composite exterior looking good? Depending upon the frequency of exposure to the elements and
the darker the gelcoat color, maintenance of the composite exterior can be as little as every 6 months to as often as every 3
months or less, if the vehicle is kept out in the elements under constant exposure. It is essential to wash it often and wax it
periodically, as doing so will ensure that it will remain like new for many years. Failure to perform these simple maintenance
tasks may result in surface deterioration over time.

KEEP IT CLEAN
Wash the exterior of your RV at least monthly using a mild liquid detergent. Avoid cleaners that are abrasive, caustic (highly
alkaline or high pH) or those cleaners containing ammonia. Caustic cleaners can cause discoloration and loss of gloss and
repeated use may cause cracking and reduced UV resistance. Also, avoid dirty or gritty brushes. Remove tar, bugs, sap, and
bird droppings as soon as possible to prevent staining. If using a tar and insect remover product, test a small area to be sure
it is safe for use on composites.
To remove a light stain that does not wash off, first try additional washing. Next, try cleaning with an appropriate solvent,
again test on an inconspicuous area. For severe stains, it may be necessary to use an abrasive cleaner, starting with a fine
rubbing compound. If the stain still exists, sand lightly with 800 grit sandpaper, followed by rubbing compound and wax. RV
accessory stores carry many cleaning supplies that are specially formulated for cleaning RV exteriors.
Always read labels carefully and follow label directions.

KEEP IT SHINY
Storing conditions are very important. Indoor storage is ideal. Alternatively, outdoor storage out of direct sunlight and away
from tree and bird droppings is recommended. Various covers are available at RV accessory dealers. Avoid covers that trap
moisture. Prolonged exposure to trapped water may cause blushing, especially in darker colors.
The gel-coat surface of your composite exterior (like all products), change color over time as part of the aging process when
exposed to weathering and sunlight. Gel-coats are available in many colors and is very durable, but it can become dull or
faded as it weathers. Sunlight, heat and moist air combine to oxidize the gel-coat surface, fading it and making the surface
cloudy.
Depending upon the frequency of exposure to the elements and the darker the color, maintenance (washed and waxed) of
the composite exterior must be completed at a minimum of every 6 months (3 months or less for darker colors). To ensure
that all sides of the vehicle receive the same level of exposure to sunlight, the vehicle should be moved frequently. Failure to
perform these simple maintenance tasks will void any warranty.
If the surface has been allowed to weather badly, and cleaning and wax polishing does not restore the finish satisfactorily, then
compounding will be necessary. Polishing compound (fine abrasive) or rubbing compound (coarser abrasive) is recommended
for use on fiberglass RVs to remove scratches, stains, or a severely weathered surface. Polishing or rubbing compound
can be applied by hand or by mechanical means, such as an electrical or pneumatic buffer. After the scratched, stained or
weathered surface has been removed, it should be waxed to enhance the gloss and color while providing a seal to retard
staining or new soil accumulation.

RECREATIONAL VEHICLE CARE AND MAINTENANCE
FORM 6998
RECREATIONAL VEHICLE CARE AND MAINTENANCE
cranecomposites.com | 1.800.435.0080 | 1.815.467.8666 [fax] | sales@cranecomposites.com
We believe all information given is accurate. It is offered in good faith, but without guarantee. Since conditions of use are beyond our control, all risks are assumed by the user.
Filon and Noble
6998 | REV. 7 | 02.17 (8094)

KEEP IT REPAIRED
Scratches are the most common damage an RV suffers. Many of these can be removed with rubbing compound, followed by
wax. Major repairs should be referred to a professional.

KEEP IT SEALED
A water tight seal is necessary to maintain the integrity of the composite wall system. Follow the RV manufacturer’s guidelines.
Damage caused by moisture in the RV wall will void any warranty.

RESTORING GLOSS
Materials
• Meguiar’s: #49 Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover
• Meguiar’s #50 Boat and RV Cleaner Wax Liquid or a Mild detergent and water
• Meguiar’s: #56 Boat and RV Pure Wax
• Soft cotton cloth
• Mechanical buffer (optional)
Procedure
1. Wash the Crane Composites RV panel with a mild detergent and water.
2. Dry the Crane Composites RV panel with a clean, soft cotton cloth.
3. Apply heavy duty cleaner by following the directions on the container. (If a buffer is available, substitute polishing
compound for heavy duty cleaner and buff polishing compound lightly).
4. Wash the Crane Composites RV panel with water and dry the surface.
5. Apply car wax per directions.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #10

I wash with regular car wash and wipe down once a year with 303.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

I use Optimum spray wax on the fiberglass roof. Its an easy application... spray on, wipe off. Provides 5 months UV protection. https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
jrs

Mine's getting to that time now to clean it. I like using Rejex on the sides and thinking about using it on the roof without wiping it off. Has anyone done this? Rejex also offers UV protection and in my experience lasts a while.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #13

This.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fina...ne-316925.html
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
If you go ask the Fiberglass Roof manufacturer, you will be surprised at how little they tell you do versus some of the wide range of ideas. There a difference between various levels of what works and what is all that is needed. Only difference you could easily make is to use that "Wash & Wax for RVs"

My Fiberglass roof has 10 year warranty and some of the ideas i.e. painting actually voids the warranty!!! Not saying painting is bad, but as long as my roof is under warranty, I will ONLY do what Mfg says. Unless you plan to enter some RV Roof Beauty Contest
Can you cite where that warranty exclusion is written?
The Warranty cannot be voided if the modification has had no causal effect on the warrantable problem.
And I can't believe a proper painting would be causal to an issue if done in a workmanlike manner. The majority of fiberglass roof issues are going to be leaks on things that penetrate the roof (A/C, wiring, sat dish attachment etc) and paint isn't going to cause a leak.

I don't think painting is needed. A good clean and wax should do fine for protection. Painting is overkill but I have seen some roofs that look like they came out of the dishwasher. My issue with painting the roof is it is then subject to scratching and chipping. I would have to take my shoes off to walk on it...

Tags
fiberglass, roof