Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #1

Filling a gap advice.

In the garage of my motor home ( in a few spots) there is about a 1/4 to 1/2" gap between the very back wall and the floor. It looks like they put some sort of foam backer rod in the gap and then put a thin piece of angle iron over that seam. I removed the angle iron and noticed a few spots where if you push against the back wall you can see outside. I need opinions on what to use to make this more air/water tight. Is this foam backer rod standard or did they scrimp. It will be a fairly easy fix but I need to do it right. Is there something available for such a fix? Thanks
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
In the garage of my motor home ( in a few spots) there is about a 1/4 to 1/2" gap between the very back wall and the floor. It looks like they put some sort of foam backer rod in the gap and then put a thin piece of angle iron over that seam. I removed the angle iron and noticed a few spots where if you push against the back wall you can see outside. I need opinions on what to use to make this more air/water tight. Is this foam backer rod standard or did they scrimp. It will be a fairly easy fix but I need to do it right. Is there something available for such a fix? Thanks

Pictures?
Old 01-28-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like another example of a "shade tree" fix for sloppy factory workmanship. Could be a factory patch done at the end of the assembly line, or maybe done at the dealer in response to a buyer complaint. If you have the skills, do it right, or as close to right as you can manage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:21 AM   #4

Big gap filler foam spray would be my choice. If it would be more practical, find a brand that sprays upright instead of having to invert the can.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:14 AM   #5

Not sure if I quite understand the application, but if could be solved by a large bead of caulk I would recommend Big Stretch latex caulk. It can fill a half-inch gap without sagging.

https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-Stretc...35890160&psc=1
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:21 PM   #6

If open to the outside, I would look at some flashing on the outside to keep the rain out.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice