Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #1

Arrow Filling Class-C fixed 41lb propane tank

Hi all, I have a question about filling the 41 pound fixed/permanently mounted propane tank on my new-to-me Sunseeker 3250 MH.

The question is ... how do I fill it?

I grew up in NJ where we don't even pump our own gasoline! I've gotten that handled now of course, but what about propane? I have to imagine that a station attendant handles this, right? Seems like a potentially dangerous operation for the average Joe to fill it themselves...

I found a Loves on my upcoming route that has propane - do I just pull up to that tank and wait for someone to fill-er-up like I would back home in Jersey?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #2

At Love's
Pull up to the Propane service location, most have a call box.
They will send someone out to service your Propane.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #3

You have to go to a propane vendor be it Love's, Tractor Supply, Independent etc.

Propane service ....attendant should be trained/certified
Propane service valve should be closed, hose with adapter connected to Fill Valve, Bleeder valve cracked open and then pump turned on

Liquid Propane pumped under pressure is used to fill Tank
*Vapor Propane is used to supply your LP System

Not a DIY
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
At Love's
Pull up to the Propane service location, most have a call box.
They will send someone out to service your Propane.
That's what I was hoping, thanks for confirming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You have to go to a propane vendor be it Love's, Tractor Supply, Independent etc.

Propane service ....attendant should be trained/certified
Propane service valve should be closed, hose with adapter connected to Fill Valve, Bleeder valve cracked open and then pump turned on

Liquid Propane pumped under pressure is used to fill Tank
*Vapor Propane is used to supply your LP System

Not a DIY
Thanks! I'm glad I'll be able to leave this part to the pros.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
That's what I was hoping, thanks for confirming!

Thanks! I'm glad I'll be able to leave this part to the pros.
Nice to understand the proper procedure for filling your LP Tank

There are some 'bozos' out there
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Be sure to shop around as prices can be quite different. U-haul and Tractor Supply are consistent but there are larger dedicated commercial operations.
L2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
....attendant should be trained/certified
The greatest variable I've encountered. Most places the only thing they fill is grill tanks and when you pull up in an RV the guy is stymied the fitting isn't right. Or he figures out the adapter that's needed and for some reason the fuel doesn't flow. Most times there's someone on premises that intervenes and you get your gas, but one time in particular I had to drive off empty because they couldn't/wouldn't figure it out. "Something's wrong with your tank" and that was that. Part of the reason I set myself up with an extend a stay, in case I ended up empty somewhere and couldn't get a fill.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most privately owned campgrounds can fill your LP tank, but their prices are usually higher than the commercial fillers in their town. Convenience costs $$$.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

Many UHaul dealers fill tanks to.

You buy propane on fixed tanks by the gallon, not weight. They don't scale the RV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #10

Thanks all. I read up on the proper process for filling this tank, just enough that I should be able to tell if the attendant seems to know what their doing or not.

I'll ultimately be installing an extend-a-stay adapter for the convenience - that would make things a lot easier as on my MH, propane is really just for the furnace heat. We don't do boondocking so we don't need it for the water heater, and we've got a 12V fridge. Basically I'm hopeful to just use the on-board propane as a backup, or for getting heat going to the tanks between campsites in the winter months.

I appreciate all the useful info! We're heading down south for the week of Christmas on our first real trip in this motorhome (and first trip as RV owners), and just trying to be as prepared as possible.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #11

Found that about half the trained propane dispensers do it correctly.

Some don't close the vapor valve, one actually opened it, and many don't open the 80% bleeder, only depending on the Overfill valve to stop the flow.

Uhaul makes everyone get out, turn off the fridge and water heater, shuts the vapor valve and opens the bleeder. All the right steps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #12

elwray, your first post was all pretty much correct on the filling of the tank. The smartest thing you did was some research to gain knowledge on the proper procedure for filling a fixed tank so you can observe the procedure and know if it's being done correctly. You may find that you know more about the correct process than some LP pump operators.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're overthinking this. Just relax, light up a cigarette and watch how they do it! :whist ling:
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You're overthinking this. Just relax, light up a cigarette and watch how they do it! :whist ling:

Good advice, Don!

Tags
propane, tank